Cruising is changing and I am truly HAPPY!

Cruising is changing and I for one am truly happy. I first saw the Love Boat in 1983 and thought cruising was about wealth, grandeur and elegance. The grandeur has remained, the elegance still exists but the wealth has disappeared. Most vacations can be expensive but cruising still makes it possible to enjoy something special without breaking the bank. I don’t recall some of the things that are no longer apart of cruise package. I haven’t been fortunate enough to be cruising as long or as often. I know thanks to the change, I can enjoy this vacation while I am younger, in fairly decent health, and most important with my school age children. In 20 years maybe I will be complaining that the second lobster is no longer for free. Maybe I will still be saying though the second lobster cost $14.95 and extra butter .95, I still blessed because I can still afford to share the experience with yet another generation…my grandkids. If I can no longer afford it or it has lost its value, I will still be happy for the times that I did. Disneyland has lost its appeal and value to me, but I still remember the fist time my daughter Mikki, saw Mickey:D.

The only time one should not expect change is from a vending machine. These changes work for me but I know not for everyone.

Pauline

The reason we never cruised until a few years ago was the perception that it was for snobs and the very rich. While that might have been true many, many years ago, cruising is now the vacation value for just about everyone, although I do wonder about those on the Queen Mary II

I completely agree. I did cruise as a child and remember things like the midnight buffets, free juices 24/7, etc; HOWEVER...the changes haven't deterred me from cruising. Just makes me make note for the next cruise (for example I now bring Crystal Light packs)

When my husband went on his first cruise he was amazed as soon as he saw the outside of the ship (and that was one of Carnival's oldest and smallest ones). I still remember us going up to the buffet as soon as we got on the ship and seeing his eyes pop out of his head when he saw the food selection they had. When he saw the cabin he said something to the effect of "you mean the price already paid gets me this room, the food in the buffet and in the main dining room, as well as juices, iced tea, and a few other drinks?!"

I knew after that comment that he was hooked, which has led to us going on many cruises in the last few years. Our friends and family are a bit in disbelief that we seem to be taking so many; however, its a great way for us to see so many places. Its also perfect, as the previous poster said, because we can do it now while we are younger, in good health and relatively active.

A thread that isn't bashing.

I'm with you, room, food , waking up in a different land thats what traveling is all about. So the food isn't what you would find at gourmet restaurants but they are feeding 3000 people and I think they do a good job doing it.

No charge for the lobster sir, but a plate will cost you $5.95.

I agree that a cruise is a good value vacation, but for us (not everyone) all the extras seem to add up fast. Excursions, bar tab, souvenirs, etc. I know we could go on a cruise and not spend an extra penny on anything if we chose to, but "it's vacation" so how can we not spend extra? :) Plus we have to include air fare, or drive. And if we drive it's at least 2 hotels on the way down, and again coming home, plus food, gas, etc. Flying is usually cheaper. Then, while we're there in Florida, we need to visit my husband's Dad and step-Mom so there's a couple more nights or so in hotels and meals out. We usually end up just renting a car for a week after the cruise, to visit them, and spend time at Daytona (our favorite place in Florida) so a cruise vacation for us usually includes a lot of "extras" so it does add up.

I agree, let's keep the lobster out of this equation:D

I am happy to be cruising in a time of change. I will plan each trip with a spirit of adventure and doing things at sea I only thought possible on land. Still I don't want to cruise to the point where I am stuck with what was, instead of what is. Currently there some great things to see and discover, thanks to the change.

I know thanks to the change, I can enjoy this vacation while I am younger, in fairly decent health, and most important with my school age children.

I agree. My parents could never afford a vacation such as a cruise when I was growing up, and I feel very fortunate to do so while I am younger and in good health.

I agree that a cruise is a good value vacation, but for us (not everyone) all the extras seem to add up fast. Excursions, bar tab, souvenirs, etc. I know we could go on a cruise and not spend an extra penny on anything if we chose to, but "it's vacation" so how can we not spend extra? :) Plus we have to include air fare, or drive. And if we drive it's at least 2 hotels on the way down, and again coming home, plus food, gas, etc. Flying is usually cheaper. Then, while we're there in Florida, we need to visit my husband's Dad and step-Mom so there's a couple more nights or so in hotels and meals out. We usually end up just renting a car for a week after the cruise, to visit them, and spend time at Daytona (our favorite place in Florida) so a cruise vacation for us usually includes a lot of "extras" so it does add up.

WELL SAID. If you do a meditteranean cruise you spend a thousand on air: 1800-2000 for your cabin: 200-300 tips: and approximately 200 a day for tours. If that's cheap boy am I out of it.

bringing up DL is a good point...a day there for one person can be almost as much as some of the short bahamas and mexican trips abord a ship...what is it $70 now for one day that allows you access to both parks, and that doesnt include any food or beverages...I think too often people get wrapped up in the changes and dont realize the value that is still there.

WELL SAID. If you do a meditteranean cruise you spend a thousand on air: 1800-2000 for your cabin: 200-300 tips: and approximately 200 a day for tours. If that's cheap boy am I out of it.

Oh, no not cheap, most vacations aren't. Good value is about what you paid in-terms of what you got. A week at Motel 6 would be of great value to me, verses a FREE week on Carnival during Spring Break, Ensenada (been there done that :eek:). I have no problem with the inside gty, the ocean view is nice and the balcony is a dream, any other category is a sheer fantasy. My next cruise I will be in an aft cabin with a balcony, therefore living my dream. Not much worth having or doing is cheap but so many experiences are priceless. I have encountered many priceless moments while cruising.

Cruising is changing and I for one am truly happy. I first saw the Love Boat in 1983 and thought cruising was about wealth, grandeur and elegance. The grandeur has remained, the elegance still exists but the wealth has disappeared. Most vacations can be expensive but cruising still makes it possible to enjoy something special without breaking the bank. I don’t recall some of the things that are no longer apart of cruise package. I haven’t been fortunate enough to be cruising as long or as often. I know thanks to the change, I can enjoy this vacation while I am younger, in fairly decent health, and most important with my school age children. In 20 years maybe I will be complaining that the second lobster is no longer for free. Maybe I will still be saying though the second lobster cost $14.95 and extra butter .95, I still blessed because I can still afford to share the experience with yet another generation…my grandkids. If I can no longer afford it or it has lost its value, I will still be happy for the times that I did. Disneyland has lost its appeal and value to me, but I still remember the fist time my daughter Mikki, saw Mickey:D.

The only time one should not expect change is from a vending machine. These changes work for me but I know not for everyone.

Pauline

I so agree with you. Going on a cruise was a long time dream for me, but I was afraid about the wealth, grandeur and elegance. We finally took one and I found out differently. It is an awesome vacation and so easy. Got totally hooked.

Jan

I hope your attitude is contagious. As I read it, i too think about how the price of cruising has dropped and so has the quality of the food. But, good quality costs more and if you're lucky enough to be on a ship with the specialty restaurants you can pay that little bit more for much better quality. I hope people start to think about how much cheaper a cruse vacation can be than a land vacation and just enjoy it!

I assume some of the veterans are extremely wealthy or have benefited from some of the changes that resulted in these extra fees. I have read so much about B2B 4 R&R bookings, I just want to be them when I grow up or at least when my kids graduate from college. Wealth does exist but thanks to the change it's no longer needed to afford a cruise. If I can get on the ship because of the savings then I don't mind using the exta cash to take my vacation to the next level. That's a win-win situation which could lead to my B2B 4 R&R.

I hope your attitude is contagious. As I read it, i too think about how the price of cruising has dropped and so has the quality of the food. But, good quality costs more and if you're lucky enough to be on a ship with the specialty restaurants you can pay that little bit more for much better quality. I hope people start to think about how much cheaper a cruse vacation can be than a land vacation and just enjoy it!

As a rule we take any additional saving from deals to make our vacation better. We have had some great deals on our recent cruises. For the most part our expectations have been met...let's not factor in any Spring Break, Baja California cruise:D I would like to say never again, that's where I draw the line. For the right deal, I am sure I would.

On one of our cruises we only had a tab of $200, it can be done. and considering it was Alaska, that was prety good. We used cash for tips ( always do) and most of the excursions ( and there is no way anyone could expect the cruiseline to provide those) were booked privately, and we are not huge drinkers or ship souvenier buyers, the seapass account was very low.

And the cruse was the least expensive part of the tip, we went early and spent a few days in Seattle and Vancouver, so the airfare and extras cost more.

We own a timeshare in Orlando and even with the room paid for, we still spend more when we do the Disney thing, so cruises are still a bargain for me and maximum fun to!:D

The Med CAN be a good value - sail off-season and enjoy great deals and less crowds! We've done Med cruises the past two Novembers - at $899 pp (and half that for the third pax) for a balcony, budget shopped airfare (about $730 pp), and public transportation for "tours" -- it was a very affordable way for my family to see Venice, Athens, Rome, Pompeii, Barcellona, etc. The Med is very port intensive so we spent very little "spare time" on board so we had virtually no other expenses!

Do you have any idea how much a trip to Europe in general would cost? Many years ago (1992) we spent 11 days in Germany, when our son and then DIL were stationed there. There were Lt.s and had off site housing, so we did not need a room. And some of the tours we went on were Army TA tours and it still wound up costing more than our Med cruise last year. And this time the Euro is bad and we were away for 16 days with a precruise stay.

A carribean cruise is not going to come close to that kind of cost.

Archived