Straw Market Coco Cay vs. Straw Market Nassau

The straw market at Coco Cay is much much MUCH smaller than Nassau, but the items for sale at Coco Cay are a fair representation of the larger selection at Nassau. Depending on the time you go, Nassau can be pretty hectic at times, too.

Seemed like prices at the CC straw market were higher than would normally be found on land. For example, sunglasses on CC were $14. It's hard for me to compare to Nassau though because it poured in the afternoon that we were going to shop the straw market, and Nassau's market was for effectively closed.

We were at CC Dec 21st and were told to bring cash with us for anything we buy at the straw market as they ONLY take cash. Drinks were charged to our seapasses, as was our snorkelling rentals. Not sure about the massages but my guess would be those could be charged too.

Semi related question: Since Coco Cay is RCI owned, can you charge to your on board acct for stuff you buy/get there? Like the straw market, massages,drinks etc? Thanks

Just got back from weekend on the Majesty. On Coco Cay all purchases at straw market must be made in cash. No credit card and no seapass. They are independent vendors. Mostly crappy souveniers. One thing we noticed is that we priced a watch in Nassau and it was $113.00. On board the last night they had a watch sale. Same watch was $97.00. The ship guarantees liquor prices or will match if you have lower price in writing. So no need to buy on the streets unless it is something they do not have on ship.

Coco Cay was pretty and worth getting off the ship. We live in South Florida so it was pretty cool for us to go in the water (low 70's). However the bar-b-q they serve for lunch is not that great and worth going back to ship if you are done on the island. They had burgers, hot dogs that did not look like the color was right, ribs and chicken that were cold, salad, corn, beans, rice. Desserts and drinks. I wish now I had gone back to the ship and to Johnny Rockets with my free coupon. At least there the hot dogs are Nathan's. You will enjoy Coco Cay though especially if you like snorkeling or parasailing.

I can't speak for CocoCay as I have not been to the straw mkt there, but in Nassau, if you think something is too pricey, you can bargain for the price. I've been there a few times and bargained every time. In most cases, you will be able to bargain down the price, especially if you're buying several somethings from a particular vendor.

I've been to the Nassau straw market once and I won't return.. found it very crowded... but, like the op said, definitely haggle.. if one person won't give you your price.. go around the corner and try someone else.. they all sell the same stuff.

Is there a difference between the Straw Market in Coco Cay and the Straw Market in Nassau?

Think of Coco Cay as a neighborhood garage sale and Nassau as a mega flea market. A very crowded and cramped mega-flea market.

The straw market at Coco Cay is much much MUCH smaller than Nassau,

As a husband, of a woman that can shop for anything anytime, this is a good thing. I could only venture into the Nassau market about 30 yards before fleeing in a panic. I felt bad leaving my wife in there alone for 2 hours, but not enough to overcome my hatred of shopping, especially while on vacation. Nassau's market is packed super tight and if your the last bit claustrophobic, don't go in there. Coco Cay is much more wide open.

My daughter and I had sooo much fun bargaining with the people in the straw market in nassau....been there 3 times! Yes it is crowded....go early as soon as you get off the ship before it gets really hot and crowded! Got some really fun purses there! :) and didnt pay what they wanted for them!

Archived