Spring Break Dates?

elruth

Anyone know the dates when students get their spring break? A poster mentioned March but I thought spring break was around Easter which is in April this year. When I taught in public school, the break ( we didn't call it spring break obviously ) came around Valentine's Day and was a week but maybe things have changed. I am booked for a March 21-28th cruise out of Charleston and hope that week isn't loaded with college kids.

I know that a friends daughter's college break is March 15th week. College breaks I think are all in March up to the 1st week of April.

Our break week is April 5th week and some of our area has the week of April 12th - Public/ Private schools.

Basically from March 1st until April 12th.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

This link is for colleges, not High schools. If you're concerned about young adults (drinking, partying, etc), use this link. If you're concerned about lots of families with young kids, the link won't help. I personally wouldn't worry too much about too many families- all NCL ships have kids' clubs with activities, etc. I've read occasional posts about loose pre-teens or teens "running amok" (but those posts are more regarding kids pushing all the buttons on the elevators - frustrating, but not as annoying as drunk & barfing 21 yrs olds outside your door at 3 AM).

In my area, a cruise at Spring Break has become a "right of passage" for some of the colleges (certainly different from my time at college- when a weekend trip to the shore was the most we could afford!) If that's the only time you can cruise, don't cancel- just be forwarned! Go with a lot of patience and a sense of humor!

Spring Break is a season for those in the travel industry, and it usually goes from the end of February through mid-April. We have friends that thought going on a cruise in April was safe because it was after Spring Break in our area. They had not thought about all the other schools that start school much later than ours do, so their breaks are also later. Evidently, kids were everywhere.

Anyone know the dates when students get their spring break? A poster mentioned March but I thought spring break was around Easter which is in April this year. When I taught in public school, the break ( we didn't call it spring break obviously ) came around Valentine's Day and was a week but maybe things have changed. I am booked for a March 21-28th cruise out of Charleston and hope that week isn't loaded with college kids.

spring break normally is anytime from the first week of March to the week after Easter, depending on where you live. The biggest weeks will be the week of March 8th and the following week. This is when many of the colleges are out. Of course the entire month will be filled with kids as will the week before and even after Easter. Feb is very early for a weeks break though some schools do get a winter break.

There will be college kids the week you are sailing but not as many as the 2 weeks previous.

Nita

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

This link is for colleges, not High schools. If you're concerned about young adults (drinking, partying, etc), use this link. If you're concerned about lots of families with young kids, the link won't help. I personally wouldn't worry too much about too many families- all NCL ships have kids' clubs with activities, etc. I've read occasional posts about loose pre-teens or teens "running amok" (but those posts are more regarding kids pushing all the buttons on the elevators - frustrating, but not as annoying as drunk & barfing 21 yrs olds outside your door at 3 AM).

In my area, a cruise at Spring Break has become a "right of passage" for some of the colleges (certainly different from my time at college- when a weekend trip to the shore was the most we could afford!) If that's the only time you can cruise, don't cancel- just be forwarned! Go with a lot of patience and a sense of humor!

know what you mean about what we could afford. Actually in our senior year in highschool we did go to the beach for spring break, with a chaparone I may add.. In college we often just went home if we were living off campus or like you said, did a day or two something.

Nita

Many elementary/high schools have a Winter Break during the week that includes President's Day, then they usually have their Spring Break in ealry-to-mid April (sometimes including Easter in there, other times not).

Most colleges have their Spring Break in March...these are staggered throughout the entire month, with most falling in the second and third weeks.

(Yes, there is a reason why my wedding anniversary is March 6. We got married during Spring Break of our final year of law school.)

We cruised on the Dawn (out of NY) during President's week 2004 (Winter Break in this area). The ship was full of kids (700+) and although we were always aware of them, we had a great time. There were kids all over the place, all the time.

BTW, we were 5 couples (empty nesters -no kids in our group) which included several school employees, hence this week to cruise.

Don't worry about it.. you'll have a great time! You'll be able to find quiet areas without kids.

Also, make sure the ship's employees maintain the age restrictions in the clubs (such as Spinnaker's). They made several announcements and enforced the rules to have the kids vacate at the posted time, after an adult complained.

Three years ago we went on the Majesty out of Charleston on the 17th of March. 65% of the passengers were under 30. We just made up our minds to enjoy our trip even though there were areas of the ship that we couldn't get near because of all the college kids. Some of the bars were just not worth trying to go to. We never had a problem getting a seat at the shows or in the dining room.

That was our first Majesty trip and in 5 weeks we are going for the 3rd time- just not during spring break!

Most of the kids were nice to be around but there were some that were on a week long drunk. Boy did they sober up quickly when they got their bill!

Ontario and BC public schools are March 13-26th. The BC one is significant for people going out of LA. My nieces actually started seeing people they knew on the cruise, there were that many Vancouver high school kids aboard.

My sons go to university in Ontario and Quebec, and theirs vary from early Feb to early March.

Viv

I'm a college student. Most U.S. college's (east coast) have spring break in March.

I do know that the only way most college students can go on spring break is to have someone over 21 in the group. Otherwise, the college kids will need parents as well. The only way I am going without my parents is because my boyfriend is 24.

Elementary, Middle and High schools usually have spring break in April or around Easter. Those will be more family oriented cruises compared to the college spring break.

do the university kids (the drinkers/partiers/ones i want to avoid) get one week or two. do you think a 14 day intinerary, also more expensive, would have less college kids?

The only schools I know of that have 2-week long Spring Breaks are the ones that are on the quarter system (meaning that the winter term was ending right before Spring Break began) and there are way less schools on the quarter system than on the semester system

And a 14-day cruise will always have an older crowd than a 7-day cruise or a 3-day cruise.

do the university kids (the drinkers/partiers/ones i want to avoid) get one week or two. do you think a 14 day intinerary, also more expensive, would have less college kids?

Most colleges I know of only get a one week break. I highly doubt there will be many college kids on anything more than a 7 day cruise. I'm sure 14 day cruises will almost be spring break college kid-free.

Archived