Posted pictures of Horizon

Kiwimom

Kiwimom,

We are going on the cruise with you. Here is our personal planning page on the Horizon:

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/horizon.htm

.... which has those webshots photos (more specific to the Celebrity Horizon ship), and more. Since we are going on that cruise, we will be intensifying our search for the Celebrity Horizon info. Hopefully we will find menus, daily programs, and other cruise information, like that on most of our other ships pages. After we return from the cruise, we'll have all that and more, but it would be great to find it before the cruise.

:) :cool: :D

patrioticgirl,

Thanks for posting the link to your photos. Your albums had a lot of good info in the views. We didn't get enough photos when we went to Cruracao, and Aruba. In Aruba, we took a 4x4 excursion. It looks like you may have done that, too. When we encountered all the rocks (next to the beach) piled up for miles in any direction, we thought they had some religious significance. After we all got out of our 4x4's, the guide told us it was a tradition for good luck.

Hello Cruiseclues. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Are you driving or flying down to Tampa? We are driving and need to start looking for a hotel for the night before the cruise. Hopefully one that will let us park for free.

And does anyone have a web site for the Tampa port, concerning parking, etc.?

Brenda

Hello Kiwimom,

We're looking forward to meeting everyone, too. We're driving down and will probably be stopping in Charleston and possibly Savannah. The Tampa port site (our port schedules page) does not seem to have the parking, but we called the cruise parking garage yesterday and found the parking to be $10 a day, which can be prepaid, or postpaid, and which they said for a 11 day cruise was $110 (I believe Charleston charged $120 at one point for an 11 day cruise). We haven't chosen our Tampa hotel, yet, either.

Kiwimom, I forgot to tell you that the link at the bottom of my post has pics from my own Horizon cruises. My favorite pic is the shot taken above the rooftops in Curacao.

Cruiseclues, I had the same thoughts on the rock piles on the beach in Aruba and asked our guide immediately to explain about them! Needless to say, I had to make my own little tower before leaving...... that bit of luck never hurts! The rocky beach was quite beautiful in a different sort of way. I would have liked to have stayed there longer, but we were in a small bus and were only there about an hour. I must say though, that both of our bus tours in Aruba and Curacao were exceptional... both 4-5 hours long and very informative. Since there were 20 of us traveling together, I negotiated with the drivers in port to arrange transportation for us to all travel together on the tours and made sure that our guide could give us a thorough tour with island history highlighted. I took so many pictures in Curacao and Aruba that I ran out of disk space... I have a Sony Mavica that uses 3 1/2 disks and I filled up the ten disks on the two islands leaving no shots of Cozumel or St. Thomas (but I do have hard copy pictures from other cruises, so that was alright). The Mavica is a great camera for school.... my 9-11 year old students love to use it and the disk option make it great for them for use for individual powerpoint and web page construction, but it is not the best camera for travel... I regretfully did not take it to Bermuda because its a bit bulky and heavy for traveling. I may have to find a more cruise friendly digital camera before my next Horizon trip in March. Maybe a good item for the Santa list.... I hadn't thought of that option and Santa keeps asking whats on the list this year! LOL! By the way, your site is awesome! I have bookmarked it! :)

Gina

Hi Buil!

I stayed at the Days Inn Rocky Point in Tampa in January 2002. At the time a free shuttle was provided to the pier and to/from the airport. Plus free car parking during your cruise. We had a great rate from Hotel Discount.com.

I have enjoyed your site and received such great info and planning help for my cruises. Hope this helps you in some small way for all you have done to help so many others. Thanks so much!

Trish

Patrioticgirl,

We each made a pile of rocks, too, though there were so many rocks piled up and hardly a lone rock laying around anywhere, so it took us a while to find enough to make our "lucky" pile. Your bus must have taken a similar route as our 4x4 caravan. After discussion with others who took the same tour as we did, but with a different guide, we found our guide showed us a bit more than some of the others. He brought us to an area with many very large boulders piled up and we walked through them like a cave (sort of like the Baths in Virgin Gorda, but no water). When we came out of the other side, there was a giant boulder in front of us, bare of any dirt on top, which had a 3 foot cactus (growing from the top of the rock?). Many of the trees were growing sideways due to the constant windy conditions in Aruba. We reallly enjoyed Aruba, and would have liked to stay longer, too. You have the same type of camera as our cousin. He ran out of disks right away on our 11 day Lirica cruise, and had to decide to write over some of his earlier photos. The nice thing about that camera is that it has a fairly good zoom. Good digital cameras (3 megapixels or higher) are finally dropping enough in price for many to be willing to buy one. The camera memory cards are dropping dramatically, too. We saw 1 megabyte (both SD and compactflash) for $70 in Sams Club. Thanks for your remarks about our site. Without so many like yourselves who are willing to take the time to share, and post their cruise photos, our site probably would not exist. Thanks again for sharing.

Hi Trish,

We genuinely appreciate your information on the hotel, and will look into it. That hotel has the ingredients we would like (the shuttle and free parking). We're pleased you feel that way about our site. It's the main joy of having it.

Hi Cruiseclues! You are the one who should be thanked.... that site of yours is awesome! I know it must have taken loads of time to put together! I commend you for the effort and organization. I spent a good while today browsing the site and learned quite a bit! I am going to email the link to the group that went with us to Aruba. Originally, my friend and I were the only ones going..... a long time former boyfriend was getting married so the timing seemed good for her and I am always up for a cruise. I mentioned it to my aunt and uncle that we'd planned the trip and they showed an interest in going, too (they have 19 cruises under the belt now) .... and before I knew it, I was making cruise and air arrangements for 16... all retirees except for us. Two other couples from this area joined us later in the arrangements. We had a great time with the group despite the fact that we are a bit younger than the rest of the group. I would not hesitate to join them again. And we met some great people on our trip as well... they will be receiving am email with your link listed, too! I am sure they will all find your site extremely informative! So my thanks to you!:)

If you have a suggestion for a good camera, let me know. I would prefer one that is relatively uncomplicated! :) The fewer cables or cords, the better! :eek:

Gina

Patrioticgirl,

Thanks, it's been 6 months or more since I've looked at reviews, but the Kodak digital cameras have been rated as very easy to use (and they've received some good words in other areas besides ease of use, as well). One of the problems we see is with the ability to zoom. Not many of the cameras have an adequate zoom, or if they do, often the camera is larger and a little more bulky. The digital zoom on a camera just cuts a square out of the actual photo (if you had not zoomed) , so it starts to become a bit blurry (a 3.2 megapixel would be blurry). If you have a relatively high megapixel camera, the digital zoom (cutout) will not be as blurry because there are still lots of pixels (color dots) in the cutout. As time moves on, the ability of the software to take fewer pixels and make a clear photo might improve. Sorry if this isn't clear, but feel free to ask more questions.

Archived