T.a. ?

Los_Lobos

Good morning everyone, I have a quick question, should a travel agents quoted cruise cost be less than you can get it on the cruise line website? My TA is about $150.00 a person over what I could purchase the same cruise for. I don't mind her making some money but if she gets the cruise at a cheaper rate than what it is on the website then I will have to have a talk with her.

Thanks, Les

It can vary. In my own experience, a TA that my family used for several cruises was higher and said she couldn't match the cost quoted by another TA (both on line TA's).

Some folks like to deal with local travel agents so they can visit them in person and feel a slight cost difference is perfectly fine. Depending on how far out your cruise is, watch the pricing yourself, and if you see a decrease, call your TA and ask if that pricing applies to your booking. Others like to book directly with the cruise line.

TA sometimes can charge less for a number of reasons.

1. they rebate part of their commission

2. the have access to a group rate

3. The have pre-booked rooms through a buying group of ta's for a set price and can add names and rooms later

4. the have bought the rooms from cruise line for a price(this is called net fare) and are reselling them for what the market will bare....

An agency should never be over the cruisleine's prices direct....be sure that the cruiseline price includes everything ...are you comparing a price online or did you speak to someone directly....

If you spoke with someone directly at the cruiseline , it may be that the TA did not give you a promo that may be avail.

If I read your post correctly you are saying that the TA's quote is higher than what is showing on the cruise line's website. If this is truly the case I would never book with that TA because you should never have to pay more than the cruiseline is asking. There may be reasons for the difference though such as the cruiseline website not showing all of the taxes and fees if you didn't go far enough in the booking process. As far as differences in pricing between TAs, that can be due to group space with one TA that the other does not have or one TA discounting his/her commission. Only you know what level of comfort you feel booking with a TA vs. the cruiseline.

I know when I went to book our cruise for 3 people last Aug. I called NCL and got rates for the cruise, flight and a place to stay in Waikiki thinking they would get bettter rates. I then called a travel agency to get a quote for the same thing to see how the rates compared. MY TA got me rates that were about $1,000 per person less than the whole package with NCL.

Usually a TA's rates are lower for cruise lines and the same for others.

TA's can be higher but not often. A couple of years ago my brother called for a quote from a local TA then went to Carnival. Carnival gave him a better price.

Good morning everyone, I have a quick question, should a travel agents quoted cruise cost be less than you can get it on the cruise line website? My TA is about $150.00 a person over what I could purchase the same cruise for. I don't mind her making some money but if she gets the cruise at a cheaper rate than what it is on the website then I will have to have a talk with her.

Thanks, Les

NO, a TA should not be higher. Make sure that the 2 comparisons include all taxes, fees, port charges etc. Did the agent automatically add transfers or insurance? Have her take them off. You can do better with those on your own.

If all is equal, tell the TA to match the cruiseline price, or lose your business. Keep an eye on the price on the line's web site for your room category for that cruise. If it goes down, you should get the discount. And that can happen more than once if the ship isn't filling up as fast as they want it to.

Archived