Do i have an addiction?

surfoz

Ok I am now back to work after enjoying Rhapsody just before Christmas but I can't help stop planning our next cruise.

Rhapsody was going to be our last cruise for a few years as we decided to do a few road trips for the next few holidays. Yeah right, we booked another cruise on our last day on Rhapsody.... :D well we have decided to not go ahead with that one but may look at Alaska in 2010 or 2011...any tips from Aussies cruising in this area?

What's wrong with me? Why can't i just wait 8 or so months before i begin planning the next one?

Hiya Surfoz,

yes...join the club!!!:D

We always seem to have one coming up and another one in the planning...

it is certainly an addiction...but we can think of WORSE things to be addicted too!!..LOL..;)

We are off again in 4 weeks time...and have another booked for next year..

...BUT looking at those prices on the Mariner of the Seas for Mexico this year, we are thinking maybe a quick week on the Mexican Riviera cruise - around Sept-Nov.. (hubby's BIG birthday)... keeping our eye on that one.

Hoping we can maybe squeeze it in.....:)

Happy cruising...

S&D

cocktail8.gif.6bceb94dd429207d1d5ba4556b855e9e.gif

Ok I am now back to work after enjoying Rhapsody just before Christmas but I can't help stop planning our next cruise.

Rhapsody was going to be our last cruise for a few years as we decided to do a few road trips for the next few holidays. Yeah right, we booked another cruise on our last day on Rhapsody.... :D well we have decided to not go ahead with that one but may look at Alaska in 2010 or 2011...any tips from Aussies cruising in this area?

What's wrong with me? Why can't i just wait 8 or so months before i begin planning the next one?

There is nothing wrong with you!!! I am the same. I'm also obsessed with any cruise website, webcam etc. I'd love to do more than one cruise a year but our kids are young so we don't want to take them out of school too much.

Hi Surfoz,

We recommend taking a cruise that goes to Anchorage (or Seward, the port for Anchorage). Don't just do the Inside Passage and back to Vancouver. We cruised north then flew back to Vancouver.

Our ship left Vancouver on 16th August. When we were in Glacier Bay it was so cold that I had on a parka, warm hat, gloves and had a blanket wrapped around as well.

After the cruise we travelled in Alaska by motorhome for nearly 2 weeks. There is virtually no traffic on their roads so travelling was easy. A State Parks Pass came with the motorhome and this allowed us free camping in the State Parks. Travelling by motorhome was surprisingly economical. When we were there we found an even better deal. We were at the end of the tourist season (by choice - see below). In Denali it was gorgeous with lots of snow. We went in the last week before their long weekend (is it Memorial Day?) when Denali NP and other tourist facilities close down.

If we went again we would go at the same time of year, but we would contact the motorhome rental companies and get a deal whereby we would drive south on the Alcan Highway and return the motorhome to the main office in (usually) San Francisco. The companies do not charge rental for that time, and allow you X number of days and X kilometres free. You of course have to pay for fuel. The trip on the Alcan Hwy is supposed to be fantastic (sorry to use that word again) with lots of animals to be seen.

My husband is an amateur astronomer and we were keen to see the Aurora Borealis. It was unbelieveably fantastic. To see this it is no good going in the northern summer because it doesn't get totally dark at night. We also needed to be travelling in Alaska when there was no moon in the sky to drown out the Aurora. There is virtually no traffic on their roads so travelling was easy. A State Parks Pass came with the motorhome and this allowed us free camping in the State Parks. They were in gorgeous country locations, perfect for seeing the aurora. If this interests you, another thing to be aware of is that the aurora is best seen from the latitude of Fairbanks.

If you have any further questions I will try to help you and there will probably be other people here who can also help.

The trip was so good, I would love to do it again. :):)

Evon.

Another addict here too..DH says I am the only person who gets off a trip and starts looking into T/A windows!!!

Those deals to the Mexican Riviera are calling me! Cant believe the prices, bring on the competition in our part of the world!:D

Hi Surfoz,

We recommend taking a cruise that goes to Anchorage (or Seward, the port for Anchorage). Don't just do the Inside Passage and back to Vancouver. We cruised north then flew back to Vancouver.

Our ship left Vancouver on 16th August. When we were in Glacier Bay it was so cold that I had on a parka, warm hat, gloves and had a blanket wrapped around as well.

After the cruise we travelled in Alaska by motorhome for nearly 2 weeks. There is virtually no traffic on their roads so travelling was easy. A State Parks Pass came with the motorhome and this allowed us free camping in the State Parks. Travelling by motorhome was surprisingly economical. When we were there we found an even better deal. We were at the end of the tourist season (by choice - see below). In Denali it was gorgeous with lots of snow. We went in the last week before their long weekend (is it Memorial Day?) when Denali NP and other tourist facilities close down.

If we went again we would go at the same time of year, but we would contact the motorhome rental companies and get a deal whereby we would drive south on the Alcan Highway and return the motorhome to the main office in (usually) San Francisco. The companies do not charge rental for that time, and allow you X number of days and X kilometres free. You of course have to pay for fuel. The trip on the Alcan Hwy is supposed to be fantastic (sorry to use that word again) with lots of animals to be seen.

My husband is an amateur astronomer and we were keen to see the Aurora Borealis. It was unbelieveably fantastic. To see this it is no good going in the northern summer because it doesn't get totally dark at night. We also needed to be travelling in Alaska when there was no moon in the sky to drown out the Aurora. There is virtually no traffic on their roads so travelling was easy. A State Parks Pass came with the motorhome and this allowed us free camping in the State Parks. They were in gorgeous country locations, perfect for seeing the aurora. If this interests you, another thing to be aware of is that the aurora is best seen from the latitude of Fairbanks.

If you have any further questions I will try to help you and there will probably be other people here who can also help.

The trip was so good, I would love to do it again. :):)

Evon.

We are also looking at an Alaskan cruise after 2011 (when our youngest will finish high school), it was great to hear from you Evon that it was so good you would do it again.. I'll be researching this in more detail in the next couple of years, (that sounds a bit sad - such a long way off, but I find the planning half the fun!).

Anyway Evon ,now that you have joined our roll call for Samoan Secrets in March, (and welcome by the way!), I hope I may be able to gain some more information about Alaska from you during that cruise.

Meantime, Surfoz, enjoy the addiction , there are treatments available (more cruises) but maybe no real cure!!!

Hi ,

Dont panic .our cruise in May is our third in 18mths and im busy trying to find another one after that.tell me is there a healther addiction than cruising.I have been cruising for over 40 years.....with having kids the only reason i had a break.forget the road trips.....keep cruising...its probally cheaper.

cheers:)

Welcome to the world of a cruise addict !!!!!!!!!!

We had booked our next cruise before we had gone on our last, and now we have booked another !! Cruise tragics, thats what many of us are here on CC!!!!!!

we did a joint cruise/train/bus trip to Canada and Alaska. We did the inside passage from Vancouver back to Vancouver and then we did the Whistler gold glass and then the Rocky Mountaneer normal class up to Jasper and then did a bus tour from there to Calgary and then flew home from there. Just make sure you see everything you want - its a long way to go. We loved the scenery especially on the Rocky Mountaneer - we saw so many bears and moose and elk and even saw a Cougar one night. Just amazing. We did an early cruise beginning of May. I think we were the first ship for the season. We were advised to travel early rather than later as you get better deals and the people are more friendly. Towards the end of the season the locals are sick of cruise ships and people even though it is their livelihood.

Loved the scenery and the country - and are planning to go back in 2010. :D mummsie

Thanks guys,,, yes Evon, one of our dreams is also to see Aurora Borealis, I noticed some side trips to Yukon but wasn't sure when the best time might be. I previosuly looked at itineries and also wondered why many cruise ships don't go to Anchorage...also another place we want to visit.

Motorhome sounds a perfect way to explore.

Hi Surfoz (again),

I don't know if I can adequately describe the aurora. It was like being in an enormous cave where the ceiling had hundreds (or thousands) of gauze curtains (white, green and red) that wafted and moved as if there was breeze blowing. The whole sky was alive with these curtains. We would stand outside the motorhome (in the freezing cold) excitedly saying "Look at that ... and look at that". You literally didn't know which way to look. After an hour or so, it would fade away and we would stumble back into bed. This is why staying in the countryside was ideal. Peter would look out the window of the motorhome every now and again (without getting out of bed) and watch for when the aurora started up. It was an unforgettable experience.

After our time in Alaska we hired a car from Vancouver and drove the Icefield Parkway to Jasper. We had travelled on this years previously in the middle of winter. Probably spring would be better because there would be more snow.

Mummsie suggested that spring is an ideal time and it could have a lot of advantages. If you like the motorhome idea, I am sure the hiring companies would need to have their vehicles relocated to Alaska at the start of the touring season, so you could drive north on the Alcan Hwy. That route would include the Icefield Parkway from Banff to Jasper. Then do the touring of Alaska and cruise back to Vancouver.

Sounds so good, I WANT TO GO. :D

Evon.

Hi Evon

That is exactly what i expected in regards to the Borealis, sounds fantastic and worth the long flight alone.

Question - We won't be able to afford a smaller ship that gets up and close with the glaciers but do you think there is any advantages / disadvantages between the largers ships

One travel agent told me that Holland America gets some preference but I can't quite recall why.

cheers

Jeff

Hi Evon

That is exactly what i expected in regards to the Borealis, sounds fantastic and worth the long flight alone.

Question - We won't be able to afford a smaller ship that gets up and close with the glaciers but do you think there is any advantages / disadvantages between the largers ships

One travel agent told me that Holland America gets some preference but I can't quite recall why.

cheers

Jeff

hi Jeff,

We were on the Carnival ship the Jubilee (now the Pacific Sun). I was a bit disappointed that they didn't get closer to the glacier. They said it was because of the ice in the water. I don't know how much closer they can get. We had looked at going on the coastal ferry, but the timetable didn't work out. We would have had to disembark at each port we wanted to see, stay a night or two and then get on the next ship north-bound. It seemed that most of the time we would have been getting on or off the ship in the early hours of the morning. All too much bother, so we went on a cruise ship instead. It worked well.

Evon.

Question "Do i have an addiction?"

I have not even been on my first cruise and I am hooked on the cruising idea & this website.

Is that the same feeling for all other first timers.

Alan

I have not even been on my first cruise and I am hooked on the cruising idea & this website.

Alan

I think the anticipation and excitment you feel as a first time cruiser can make you become addicted. That feeling is fantastic and you want to feel it again and again.......who needs drugs?????:eek:

Wait till you are out on that open deck with no land in site ....I find it so exhilarating:D

Welcome to CC by the way!!!

HAVE A FANTASTIC CRUISE :p

Alan

We also have not been on our first cruise (done lots of other flights, campervans, etc) but I think this website has made me addicted.

Our first cruise is in September and yesterday I booked a segment of the PS relocation from Brisbane to Melbourne in December plus a couple of nights accom in Melbourne. We are even talking about then taking the other boat over to Tassie and then flying home. Tragic. All depends on DH getting enough holidays leading up to Christmas.

Having 2 young children though we have to book so far in advance to ensure we get on, but finally our countdown clocks are less than 1 year and this will fly by. My nearly 7 year old asks me how many more sleeps to our cruise LOL, can imagine what they'll be like when I tell them 1 more.

Really enjoy reading this site and everyone's experiences of all the ships that sail out of Australia. Bring on some more competition and let's hope prices come down even more. Wahoo.

Cheers

Jingles.

Thanks guys,,, yes Evon, one of our dreams is also to see Aurora Borealis, I noticed some side trips to Yukon but wasn't sure when the best time might be. I previosuly looked at itineries and also wondered why many cruise ships don't go to Anchorage...also another place we want to visit.

Motorhome sounds a perfect way to explore.

Hi Shiona - Check out this one - COULD YOU IMAGINE !!!

69 days departing September 9, 2009 on

Regent (Radisson)'s Seven Seas Mariner

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Wed Sep 9 Vancouver, BC, Canada 5:00pm

Thu Sep 10 At Sea

Fri Sep 11 Ketchikan, AK 7:00am 5:00pm

Sat Sep 12 Tracy Arm Fjord, AK (Cruising) 7:00am 10:00am

Sat Sep 12 Juneau, AK 1:00pm 11:00pm

Sun Sep 13 Skagway, AK 7:00am 5:00pm

Mon Sep 14 Sitka, AK 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Sep 15 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising) 7:00am 11:00am

Wed Sep 16 Anchorage (Seward), AK 5:00am 6:00pm

Thu Sep 17 Kodiak, AK 8:00am 4:00pm

Fri Sep 18 At Sea

Sat Sep 19 Dutch Harbor, AK 7:00am 1:00pm

Sun Sep 20 At Sea

Mon Sep 21 Crossing the International Date Line

Tue Sep 22 At Sea

Wed Sep 23 Petropavlovsk, Kamchatka, Russia 9:00am 7:00pm

Thu Sep 24 At Sea

Fri Sep 25 At Sea

Sat Sep 26 Hakodate, Japan 7:00am 4:00pm

Sun Sep 27 Sendai, Japan 9:00am 3:00pm

Mon Sep 28 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 8:00am

Tue Sep 29 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 4:00pm

Wed Sep 30 Osaka, Japan 1:00pm

Thu Oct 1 Osaka, Japan 11:00pm

Fri Oct 2 At Sea

Sat Oct 3 Nagasaki, Japan 8:00am 11:00pm

Sun Oct 4 At Sea

Mon Oct 5 Inchon, South Korea 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Oct 6 Dalian, China Noon 6:00pm

Wed Oct 7 Beijing (Tianjin), China 7:00am

Thu Oct 8 Beijing (Tianjin), China

Fri Oct 9 Beijing (Tianjin), China 6:00pm

Sat Oct 10 At Sea

Sun Oct 11 Shanghai, China Noon

Mon Oct 12 Shanghai, China

Tue Oct 13 Shanghai, China 6:00pm

Wed Oct 14 At Sea

Thu Oct 15 At Sea

Fri Oct 16 Hong Kong, China 8:00am

Sat Oct 17 Hong Kong, China 11:00pm

Sun Oct 18 At Sea

Mon Oct 19 Hanoi (Hong Gai), Vietnam 7:00am

Tue Oct 20 Hanoi (Hong Gai), Vietnam 2:00pm

Wed Oct 21 Chan May, Vietnam 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Oct 22 At Sea

Fri Oct 23 Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam 8:30am

Sat Oct 24 Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam 4:00pm

Sun Oct 25 At Sea

Mon Oct 26 Ko Samui, Thailand 8:00am 5:00pm

Tue Oct 27 Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand 8:00am

Wed Oct 28 Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand

Thu Oct 29 Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand 4:00pm

Fri Oct 30 At Sea

Sat Oct 31 Singapore 1:00pm

Sun Nov 1 Singapore 5:00pm

Mon Nov 2 At Sea

Tue Nov 3 Semarang, Indonesia 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Nov 4 Bali, Indonesia 6:00pm

Thu Nov 5 Bali, Indonesia 6:00pm

Fri Nov 6 At Sea

Sat Nov 7 At Sea

Sun Nov 8 At Sea

Mon Nov 9 Perth (Fremantle), Australia 8:00am 5:30pm

Tue Nov 10 Albany, Australia 2:00pm 7:00pm

Wed Nov 11 At Sea

Thu Nov 12 At Sea

Fri Nov 13 Adelaide, Australia 8:00am 11:00pm

Sat Nov 14 At Sea

Sun Nov 15 Melbourne, Australia 8:00am 8:00pm

Mon Nov 16 At Sea

Tue Nov 17 Sydney, Australia 8:00am

Wed Nov 18 Sydney, Australia Disembark

Only $41,000 us - Shall we go ???

Sandra (fellow addict)

Give me a week to work on John and get us all a much much much lower price....:p:D you booked yet.............:D:D

Still waiting for that photo of the baby for you from our Claire.....she is so

disorganized.........grrrrrr..........wrist surgery is a goer for this coming Wednesday and not before time.....have a thumb and 2 fingers that

no longer feel so no grip.......have perfected dropping things...:rolleyes:

Hows the weather now...........hope you are both fit and well.....cheers Shiona

wrist surgery is a goer for this coming Wednesday and not before time.....have a thumb and 2 fingers that

no longer feel so no grip.......have perfected dropping things...:rolleyes: cheers Shiona

hi Shiona,

Are you having carpal tunnel surgery? All the best with it. :):):)

Evon.

we did a joint cruise/train/bus trip to Canada and Alaska. We did the inside passage from Vancouver back to Vancouver and then we did the Whistler gold glass and then the Rocky Mountaneer normal class up to Jasper and then did a bus tour from there to Calgary and then flew home from there. Just make sure you see everything you want - its a long way to go. We loved the scenery especially on the Rocky Mountaneer - we saw so many bears and moose and elk and even saw a Cougar one night. Just amazing. We did an early cruise beginning of May. I think we were the first ship for the season. We were advised to travel early rather than later as you get better deals and the people are more friendly. Towards the end of the season the locals are sick of cruise ships and people even though it is their livelihood.

Loved the scenery and the country - and are planning to go back in 2010. :D mummsie

hi Mumsie, we are booked on a joint Canada /Alaska train/bus/cruise fron Vancouver this August. Probably similar to what you did!1 Any hints on shore excursions? Kerrieicon7.gif

Hi Evon ......fell on wrist june last year... went to drs 5 months later as you do:rolleyes: they found i had broken the tip off one of the bones:eek: and i had developed a small tumor on opposite side of wrist.. it was my surgeon who queried damage to the medial nerve as well and he was right....so he is doing a carpal release for me...yay....fingers back....i would keep them crossed for a successful outcome but its not possible at the moment :D cheers Shiona

ps: put it off before xmas....bit of a woos:o

Archived