Horseback to waterfall with ship or on own?

NoviceCroozer

Hello! This will be our first trip to Samana and I've read so many people rave about Salto El Limon waterfall we just have to see it. My question is about how to do so. Is it worth taking the NCL excursion to do this? We'll be there on the Dawn for the Valentine's Day departure. My concern is that it's not a well developed port and there only being my husband and I, we might not be able to get a group going for a parada to take us on our own. I don't want to miss the ship on the way back trying to do something unrealistic on our own. Thoughts from people who have done this?

NCL actually offers the horseback to the waterfall excursion for an astounding $79 per person. It's not on their website any more but if you call them you can book it via phone. I know I've read on tripadvisor that you can do this for about $25 per person with the locals but I just wanted more details. I don't mind paying for peace of mind however if it really is reliable and the same exact experience on our own then I am not into wasting cash either... thoughts from someone who's done this?

Oh I see, I didn't know they had the excursion, thanks for the info. I also read about folks getting the same tour on their own for around 25 pp, if they could get a group of 8 or so. That's why I mentioned we had 4. Hey thanks for the info though , I'll call NCL

Oh I see, I didn't know they had the excursion, thanks for the info. I also read about folks getting the same tour on their own for around 25 pp, if they could get a group of 8 or so. That's why I mentioned we had 4. Hey thanks for the info though , I'll call NCL

Kevin,

Are you doing this excursion independently? This is one I've been discussing with my wife and kids. We'd add 4 to the mix depending on how it prices out.

Also, NoviceCroozer, are you on the 2/24 sailing of the Dawn? If so please stop by our roll call and join for our Meet and Greet on Sunday at 10:30am in the Star Bar. Here's a link to our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17693170#post17693170 lots of friendly people, don't hesitate to join in the discussions!

• 4 weeks later...

I'll also be on the Dawn on 2/14 and am very interested in this tour. What's the verdict? Are all of you guys going independently or is the NCL-organized trip less of a headache? Any planning ahead/reservations, or do you just plan to grab a taxi? There would be four in my group if anyone is interested in riding together.

I'll also be on the Dawn on 2/14 and am very interested in this tour. What's the verdict? Are all of you guys going independently or is the NCL-organized trip less of a headache? Any planning ahead/reservations, or do you just plan to grab a taxi? There would be four in my group if anyone is interested in riding together.

We decided to go with NCL on this. It's not a huge cost savings as far as I can tell to do it independently. We considered it, but read a few reports of unhealthy horses, and one that got a donkey. I usually shoot for the independents, but in this case we decided not to. Now if for some reason NCL cancels on us, well then we'll definitaly be looking for the indy options!

BTW, we're on the same sailing! Please join our roll call (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18090982#post18090982) and also join us for our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on Sunday at 10:30am in Dazzles Lounge (Deck 7 Forward).

Kevin,

Are you doing this excursion independently? This is one I've been discussing with my wife and kids. We'd add 4 to the mix depending on how it prices out.

Also, NoviceCroozer, are you on the 2/24 sailing of the Dawn? If so please stop by our roll call and join for our Meet and Greet on Sunday at 10:30am in the Star Bar. Here's a link to our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17693170#post17693170 lots of friendly people, don't hesitate to join in the discussions!

Mike,

NCL wouldn't let us book the horseback tour, they said it was canceled, I even asked if it was full. NCL said no, it was canceld. The web site woun't let me book it either.

Mike,

NCL wouldn't let us book the horseback tour, they said it was canceled, I even asked if it was full. NCL said no, it was canceld. The web site woun't let me book it either.

I guess we'll find out if NCL has cancelled it on us when we get on board. I received a confirmed booking from NCL for it, but who knows with them.

If it is, we can discuss it at the M&G and team up for it independently.

Mike,

Kevin,

I just called NCL asking if this excursion has been canceled, so I can make other plans if it has been, and was told that it HAS not been canceled and I have a confirmed reservation.

He said if NCL canceled on us, I would receive an email and the record would reflect the change. His best guess is that it is sold out. I guess we'll find out for sure when we get on board.

For the record, I won't be at all surprised to find out on-board that is is indeed canceled. LOL

I called NCL this morning and they said it was now too close to our sailing date to reserve an excursion. This may account for some of the conflicting info over the past couple days.

I hope the ship's excursion is still on and is available. If not, we'll probably try to do it independently, but it seems a lot easier to have a bad day on your own with this than in, say, St. Thomas.

Mike - I will stop by the Roll Call forum and introduce myself...

• 2 weeks later...
so...2/14 cruisers.... How was the excursion?

Very exciting. It was not canceled or sold out. I booked the tour for three people at the shore excursion desk the day we boarded the ship with no problems.

I enjoyed the tour a lot, though parts were a bit scary. I don't really have any experience with horses, but the whole thing didn't look all that safe. Each person was with their own guide on foot, and the horses were very well controlled, but the horses were walking on steep, rocky slopes and through rushing rivers where a stumble or slip could result in a very serious injury to the rider.

With that said, I saw no one get hurt, and I would do it again myself. It was very unique compared to the typical day at the beach.

salto-el-limon-1-jpg

1525879210_SaltoElLimon-1.jpg.be8353e1a689d2cd2234f20fd844e582.jpg

73550783_SaltoElLimon-2.jpg.b9160be151404068557e0c016e39b634.jpg

1009938505_SaltoElLimon-3.jpg.635d44e40ada8dbc55729c4a1ea9764d.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and photos. It helps me to know that you were on horseback, being lead by a person on foot. That tells me this is not an excursion for me, but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't seen your pictures. Thanks so much!

Archived