Shanghai

Miss Jolly

Thanks Dee! Say hi to John too. Looking forward to the trip, although we are in the middle of buying a house too so things are pretty hectic here. Lorraine and Tom are on the same cruise as us.

Hi Helen - I did not know that you were buying a house... I have the perfect one just for you;)\

Jen

princessrobbo, sorry I should have asked this before, do you know the name of the shop and location where you bought the silk duvet? Thanks.

Hi Micruiser,

Just returned from Shanghai, your best bet is to go to the bedding shop half way down Nanjing Road kitty corner from the square next to the Sofitel Hotel and nabout two shops next to Shanghai Tang.They cost about $60 for King Size and there should be deals to be had at this time of the year. Look for signs like 4-5-6 or 7 which translate to 60-50-40 or 30 % off the price. Crazy huh! we bought a whole load of cashmere sweaters up the road a bit at the Shanghai Department store gr. floor and the prices were listed as 300-300 rmb which translated to buy 300 and get 200 back which in reality is 66% off. They also have a whole load of selections in covers in either silk or cotton and saves the hassle of bargaining which you come off feeling that you still did not get the best deal.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Jen,

Just got back yesterday.There was a lot of construction in Shanghai at the present time. Suggest that you take the subway when you get off the shuttle, the station is Renmin Guangchang or People's Park which is on the green line which will take you to Zhangjlang which is the end of the line for the Maglev train. You could return on the same train to Lujiazui which will get you to the Pearl Tower on the Pudong side of the river. Look around there and get the Tourist Tunnel Train across the river which will get you to the Bund, turn left when you get out on to the promenade and walk along the Bund till you get to the end where the construction is going on, cross the main road there and you will see a large green and park. cross the park and you will be at the back of Yu Garden. When you leave, backtrack and go back towards the bund. go left at the main road opposite the promenade, up to the Peace hotel which is now shrouded in green, that is where Nanjing Road starts, go up Nanjing Road which will get you back to People's square and the shuttle should be on the other side of Peoples Square going towards the Museum and Theatre.

That should take you about 5 hours but would involve about 6Km. walk.

regards,

Steve

Helen and Jen - we did almost the exact same route as Steve. Great directions, Steve! We felt we had really seen a lot and gotten around quickly.

Steve - I think there is ALWAYS a lot of construction going on in Shanghai! It's an amazing city. We are going back next year for a cruise but will stay there a few days before. There's a lot to see.

Cheers! Dee

Hi Micruiser,

Just returned from Shanghai, your best bet is to go to the bedding shop half way down Nanjing Road kitty corner from the square next to the Sofitel Hotel and nabout two shops next to Shanghai Tang.They cost about $60 for King Size and there should be deals to be had at this time of the year. Look for signs like 4-5-6 or 7 which translate to 60-50-40 or 30 % off the price. Crazy huh! we bought a whole load of cashmere sweaters up the road a bit at the Shanghai Department store gr. floor and the prices were listed as 300-300 rmb which translated to buy 300 and get 200 back which in reality is 66% off. They also have a whole load of selections in covers in either silk or cotton and saves the hassle of bargaining which you come off feeling that you still did not get the best deal.

Hope this helps.

Steve

So how much were the cashmere sweaters please?

They averaged about $50-60 each dependant on design and brand. They have about 15 stalls selling them in one section behind cosmetics.Look out for the numbers, the lower the number the higher the discount.

Steve

Hi Brandonjordon,

Did not use a guide as I lived there for 9 months 2 years ago. There were three maps that I posted earlier on this thread and suggestions on how to get about. Don't really need a guide there unless you have a lot of time and that also depends on what you want to see. Not too many historical site there like Beijing or Xian and the subway is easy to get about in.

Hi Helen - I did not know that you were buying a house... I have the perfect one just for you;)\

Jen

Hi Jen, I think your house would be a little far to commute:). Crazy trying to do these things and plan a trip at the same time isn't it!!

Helen and Jen - we did almost the exact same route as Steve. Great directions, Steve! We felt we had really seen a lot and gotten around quickly.

Steve - I think there is ALWAYS a lot of construction going on in Shanghai! It's an amazing city. We are going back next year for a cruise but will stay there a few days before. There's a lot to see.

Cheers! Dee

Thanks so much Dee and Steve, will definitely take this itinerary with.

We were in China last summer and all of the hotels have a card they give you with all of the points of interest in english and chinese. You just point to the one you want to go to and the cab driver takes you there. We never had a problem. If there is somewhere you want to go but its not on the card the folks at the hotel would write it out for us. We had a very easy time getting around. You might want to try stopping at a hotel and getting a card from them. Also when you catch a cab near tourist areas sometimes they try to negotiate a price with you for like 200 Yu Won, but if you go around the corner or down the street you would only pay 10 Yu Won to get where ever you were going. That did not happen that much in Shanghi though.

We were in China last summer and all of the hotels have a card they give you with all of the points of interest in english and chinese. You just point to the one you want to go to and the cab driver takes you there. We never had a problem. If there is somewhere you want to go but its not on the card the folks at the hotel would write it out for us. We had a very easy time getting around. You might want to try stopping at a hotel and getting a card from them. Also when you catch a cab near tourist areas sometimes they try to negotiate a price with you for like 200 Yu Won, but if you go around the corner or down the street you would only pay 10 Yu Won to get where ever you were going. That did not happen that much in Shanghi though.

Great idea - thanks:D

Archived