Shanghai

Miss Jolly

Steve,

Thanks so much for all that wonderful information. We will be on Azamara Quest in a month's time and we have two days in Shanghai plus my DH and myself will be returning for 3 days after we finish our cruise and our tour of China.

I have cut and pasted your posts to take with us.

Jennie

Here are the maps that I had promised. Hope they come out OK,Let me know if you have any questions.

scan0001.jpg.f591a92ab9b05cf66cd0811ad69036b9.jpg

scan0002.jpg.e6345dcd39a640a5585c36e9d331de93.jpg

scan0003.jpg.8b74a9c444574f3e04ba22a9c723e731.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve, not sure what happened but I seemed to not have got back to you on all of this. Thanks for the maps. All I know is that the shuttle drops us off at Julong Silk & Crafts Exhibition Hall described in another thread as being in the middle of town and with the Chinese name of Waigaoqiao. As we really want to ride the maglev and may actually be all shopped out by then, could you PLEASE devise a plan for us to cover our intended sights but heading to the train first from the Silk Markets? Thanks again for all of your kind assistance.

Jen

We just finished our N.E. Asia cruise on the Azamara Quest. Based on a recommendation from a friend, we booked two private tours with Dvir Bar-Gal in Shanghai.

The first one was: "Tour of Jewish Shanghai" and the second was: Shanghai from the "Very Old to Very New".

He requires a minimum of 6 people per tour and the cost is 400RMB or about $60 U.S. per person. Both tours last about 4 hours and include admission fees.

He is an Israeli journalist now living in Shanghai. Both tours were excellent and well worth the cost.

Contact him at: www.shanghai-jews.com

He will respond very quickly and does not require a deposit. He will meet you at the pier with a van and driver.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, with our falling dollar and other unexpected costs, we have had to forego most of the private tour options and see what we can independently. We need to be able to see Shanghai on our own so we are open to all suggestions re this.

For multiple passengers a taxi may be just as cost affective as the subway. They are very inexpensive and you get do sightseeing as you drive through town. Your dollar (even Australian) we go a long way in China. We also did a lot of walking from the ship to the river front located in the center of town by the Peace Hotel. It takes about 20 minutes.

Two stretch your budget, the key thing I learned on this cruise is to never pay what the street vendors or market vendors ask for. My rule is never pay more than 25% of the asking price. So a 180 Yuan tee shirts should not cost more than 40 Yuan or about $5.50 US. You know you got them when they come running after you as you walk away and they keep lower the price as you walk until they meet your price. Shopping and bargaining was fun in China. (Don't expect the same in Japan.) By the time we got to Beijing I was an expert bargainer. (Or at least I thinks I was. But who knows, they are shrewd business people.)

On the other hand, it was very cold in Beijing and the wool cap I bought from a street vendor in Beijing only cost me 5 yuan (about $.75 US). So even though they had a much needed garment, I still got a bargain.

Just returned from Shanghai cruise stop...it is a LARGE city and if you want to get the most out of one day would suggest hiring a guide. It is not that easy to get around on your own and no one speaks English. We used this group and had a GREAT day...I would highly recommend them. Our guide was Bo Bo and I would request her if possible. We had a private car and private guide and it was very reasonable! Cheaper then a ships tour for the two of us for the day and we saw so much more! Pat

Tansy (Ms)

www.Beijingservice.com

Email: tansy@beijingservice.com, Tansy@chinatravelkey.com

MSN: twtansy@hotmail.com

Tel: 008610-87630208/ 51667026, Fax: 008610-87638057/ 51667036

Emergency call: 0086 13661092071 (company)/ 0086 13426098535 (tansy)

Address: No.46, Puhuangyu Road, Beijing, China. Post code: 100078

We are using Beijing Service for our two week private tour in China after our 14 day cruise. We have only heard good things about this company and Tansy who is in charge of all the emails is so easy to work with. We are not only doing Beijing with them but also Xian, Guilin and YangShou.

We are using a private guide that a friend recommended to us for Shanghai. We are looking forward to visiting China, South Korea and Japan.

Jennie

Just returned from Shanghai cruise stop...it is a LARGE city and if you want to get the most out of one day would suggest hiring a guide. It is not that easy to get around on your own and no one speaks English. We used this group and had a GREAT day...I would highly recommend them. Our guide was Bo Bo and I would request her if possible. We had a private car and private guide and it was very reasonable! Cheaper then a ships tour for the two of us for the day and we saw so much more! Pat

Tansy (Ms)

www.Beijingservice.com

Email: tansy@beijingservice.com, Tansy@chinatravelkey.com

MSN: twtansy@hotmail.com

Tel: 008610-87630208/ 51667026, Fax: 008610-87638057/ 51667036

Emergency call: 0086 13661092071 (company)/ 0086 13426098535 (tansy)

Address: No.46, Puhuangyu Road, Beijing, China. Post code: 100078

How much did your day in Shanghai cost please?

• 2 weeks later...

Miss Jolly

We have just returned from our NE Asia cruise and Shanghai was one of our favourite ports of call and to get the most out of it you really need a private guide. The £ is very weak at the moment but it was still excellent value.

I would reiterate what previous posters have said about Shanghai. It is a large city, the traffic is horrendous and there is a lot of construction work going on as they are hosting Expo 2010. The first night (we docked at 7 pm) we had an early dinner and then went for a walk. We walked to a high rise hotel which had great views over the river, had a drink and then walked to the Bund. We then took a taxi back to the ship. By the time we got back we were covered in mud.We too used Tansy at Beijing service and she hired a local agency. Cost will depend on where you are docked and what you want to see. We were docked on the Bund and our guide and driver met us at the ship.

This was our itinerary as requested by me:

Yuyuan gardens, which is in Chinatown!! We walked over the zig zag bridge and went to the gardens first as it gets crowded later in the day. The Yu Bazaar which is delightful and we had great fun haggling. Dajuling Lu Market.

The Bund and the park.

Lunch (included in the price).

The French concession and then the Duolun Lu Cultural street which is in the former Japanese area. We then went over to Pudong.

We returned to Chinatown and went to the Huxingting tea house for tea (also included in the price). I wanted to buy some tea but the guide took us to a shop which had a theatre on the top floor and the cost was much more reasonable and the people were lovely.

Then as I had requested we went to the shop where they make silk duvets which was very informative and I bought my duvet there for around £38. My pearls (the guide added information to my own research) cost me about £60. The normal strand would have been around £40 but I wanted a longer strand.

The cost for the tour was $100 each but obviously for four of you the cost would be lower pp. The tour lasted about seven and a half hours.

The first night (we docked at 7 pm) we had an early dinner and then went for a walk. We walked to a high rise hotel which had great views over the river, had a drink and then walked to the Bund. We then took a taxi back to the ship.

Hi Lynda,

I thought you had 2 full day in Shanghai, yet you refer to docking at 7pm?

Was your ship on time when docking?....

Thanks Linda

Hi Linda

I should have known better than to try to be coherent when I was still a bit jet lagged. I walked out of Tesco's today without my shopping and my 'cash back'. Of course we docked at 7 am and we went to one of the water towns with our guide. We went out that night after dinner and then did our city tour the next day.

micruiser - we bought the duvet they also had silk duvet covers. They have all the sizes that you mentioned.

Lynda

Thanks Lynda - hopefully you'll be getting back to UK time by the weekend:rolleyes: I have a big customer presentation 2 days after I get back which I am not looking forward to - jet lag is the only downside of travelling....:(

Shanghai sounds a real highlight which I am very much looking forward to. I have private tours planned for both days with very similar itineraries to you!:)

Linda

We just finished our N.E. Asia cruise on the Azamara Quest. Based on a recommendation from a friend, we booked two private tours with Dvir Bar-Gal in Shanghai.

The first one was: "Tour of Jewish Shanghai" and the second was: Shanghai from the "Very Old to Very New".

He requires a minimum of 6 people per tour and the cost is 400RMB or about $60 U.S. per person. Both tours last about 4 hours and include admission fees.

He is an Israeli journalist now living in Shanghai. Both tours were excellent and well worth the cost.

Contact him at: www.shanghai-jews.com

He will respond very quickly and does not require a deposit. He will meet you at the pier with a van and driver.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Shelly & Jack,

Greetings from Amsterdam The Netherlands. We arranged tour of Jewish Shanghai in April when we dock with the Ms Volendam in Shanghai with Dvir. Communciation with him swift and clear. The next day we will visit Shuzou booked thru Tensy of Beijing services.

peter & monica

The shop was in Chinatown close to the zig zag bridge. On the bag it has the address as 289 Macao Road, Shanghai. I'm sure that all guides know the place - I saw a lot of people from the ship with similar bags. By the way they compress the bags to make them easier to carry.

Lynda

Miss Jolly - we used the Shanghai metro. You can have a look at the routes on line. Steve, what do you think - would it be faster for them than a taxi?

Cheers - Dee

Hi Dee, just saw this note. We are in Shanghai along with Jen (Miss Jolly) this May. Question for you, how hard is it to get around on the metro? Do they have any of the signs in English? Any suggestions on what worked well for you and what didn't?

Helen - Hi! The Shanghai metro was easy to use but sometimes involved some walking (underground between stations). It's fast and frequent. Signs are in Chinese and English. There is a pretty big underground market at the Technology metro station. We shopped and had lunch there.

Hope you have a great time! Hi to Wayne.

D and J

Crystal will dock in Shanghai overnight. How would I be able to catch the hop-on, hop-off sightseeing bus in Shangahi if there is any? From what I understand, there will be a complimentary shuttle to a shopping center near the People's Square.

Thanks for all your input!

Helen - Hi! The Shanghai metro was easy to use but sometimes involved some walking (underground between stations). It's fast and frequent. Signs are in Chinese and English. There is a pretty big underground market at the Technology metro station. We shopped and had lunch there.

Hope you have a great time! Hi to Wayne.

D and J

Thanks Dee! Say hi to John too. Looking forward to the trip, although we are in the middle of buying a house too so things are pretty hectic here. Lorraine and Tom are on the same cruise as us.

Oh Miss Jolly, wish I were back in Shanghai! We did an overnight call there on Holland America's Statendam last spring and it was spectacular. Being able to dock right across from the Oriental Pearl Tower was stunning.

We also added a day trip out to Suzhou, which I highly recommend to anyone reading along. The gardens there are rightly listed on the UNESCO World Heritage list.

Here's the link to a post I made regarding our experience (with photos). I hope it's of interest to someone.

http://happyalaskan.blogspot.com/2009/03/shanghai-china-funding-chinas-tomorrow.html

Happy Travels!

Hi Jen,

Just got back yesterday.There was a lot of construction in Shanghai at the present time. Suggest that you take the subway when you get off the shuttle, the station is Renmin Guangchang or People's Park which is on the green line which will take you to Zhangjlang which is the end of the line for the Maglev train. You could return on the same train to Lujiazui which will get you to the Pearl Tower on the Pudong side of the river. Look around there and get the Tourist Tunnel Train across the river which will get you to the Bund, turn left when you get out on to the promenade and walk along the Bund till you get to the end where the construction is going on, cross the main road there and you will see a large green and park. cross the park and you will be at the back of Yu Garden. When you leave, backtrack and go back towards the bund. go left at the main road opposite the promenade, up to the Peace hotel which is now shrouded in green, that is where Nanjing Road starts, go up Nanjing Road which will get you back to People's square and the shuttle should be on the other side of Peoples Square going towards the Museum and Theatre.

That should take you about 5 hours but would involve about 6Km. walk.

regards,

Steve

Archived