Braemar - Latin American Rhythms - Mar 09

sagalout1954

Booked for 19 Mar, is there ample casually dressed eating (open neck shirt and no tie), it's described in the brochure as the Palms Cafe! Hubby might like to leave off the tie now and again but not if there isn't a proper buffet style restaurant to go to. Got the formal evenings covered clothes wise.

Anyone been on this Western Caribbean cruise before? What did you do for currency, USA dollars?

Any hints/tips/info about ANYTHING welcome :)

Hi Folks ,

I travelled on Braemar in 2007 and found her to be a beautiful ship , well run and totally spotless ! To answer your question on casual dining ... Palms cafe is situated at the stern of the ship and is a good sized open plan buffet style restuarant. We had lunch there daily on our cruise and always returned for the late night snacks which where available from 10pm every night . I also spoke with a Scottish couple who like you ... was not too keen on dressing up on formal nights , they really enjoyed Palms Cafe for dinner as it was never full and had a wide choice of food available for that essential evening meal .

The currency on-board Braemar is English pounds , I suggest you purchase your dollars before you go as you will lose out on ship-board exchanges and the ship is equipped with cabin safes .

I hope you enjoy Braemar , she is one of my favourites !

Cheers ...:cool::cool::cool:

• 1 month later...

I've just come back off the January sailing of this cruise. Casual dress not a problem - never wore a tie except for my "dickie" on the 3 formal nights in the Main restaurant (Thistle) and neither did most others. They have a "British night" a "Tropical night"and a "wild west night" if you fancy a bit of fancy dress.

Hope you have a good time - we did - apart from not being able to get off in Costa Rica due to storm approaching.

Hope you're still tuned in David?? If so, can you tell me if FO expect guests to have their own towels for 'trips off' which involve the use of a towel (some of their excursions specifically say "don't forget your towel"). On Thomspsons we used theirs.

Everybody seemed to use the Ships towels, we always took them off - they give you yellow ones which are changed every day. Absolutely no need to take your own.

Just to be clear on my previous message, there is no need for ties or jackets in the main Thistle restaurant - vast majority of men just wore open shirts on the non-formal nights.

Happy to give my opinion on anything else if needed !

In response to your recent post concerning your Bramear cruise departing March, on a typical 14 night Caribbean cruise there will be 3 formal nights and 3 themed evenings. The rest of the cruise the dress code will be elegant casual which we describe as stylish leisure wear, open neck shirts with collars and casual separates or summer dresses for ladies.

Separate towels will be provided for use around the swimming pool. We kindly ask you not to take towels from the ship ashore, so please pack your own for taking to the beach.

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

Separate towels will be provided for use around the swimming pool. We kindly ask you not to take towels from the ship ashore, so please pack your own for taking to the beach.

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

Oh dear, don't think I've had to cart my own beach towels on holiday abroad since I started being able to afford more than 2 star accommodation!

Thanks for response though.

PS we used Thomson's towels on our cruise with them in Oct..........

Archived