Port or starboard side?

sjbaker12

Will be going on the Grand Princess-Western Caribbean Dec 2005 and I'm seeking your advise as to the best side to be on. We are booked in a BA Caribe cabin on the port side. I have lots of time to change sides. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Sue;

Last year on the Sun, and on other Princess ships I have been on, one side of the ship was designated non-smoking, however that did not apply to state rooms, only to outside decks. Sorry I can't remember if it was port or starboard.

Fair winds

Dave

We have been on both Port and Starboard on our cruises. Much depends on which pier the ship is assigned to enter and dock. It really doesn't matter....both sides have positives. There is NO designated smoking with regard to Port or Starboard, however, there are outside tables with No Smoking signs on them. On our cruise last week, we had chain smokers in the cabin just below us and they smoked on their balcony. It was just AWFUL!!! Their smoke even came into our cabin. I have asthma and I generally try to avoid smoking areas but this could not be avoided. Thank goodness they were not always on their balcony.

We have sailed both portside and starboard. You never know which side might get the better view in port. But I always figure out which side is most likely to get the sun - either morning or afternoon - depending on the ship's direction. On a transatlantic crossing from Europe to the U.S., for example, I like portside because it gets more sun due to the southerly exposure. If you're sailing the Caribbean, you're likely to be rotated around and get everything one time or another.

Will be going on the Grand Princess-Western Caribbean Dec 2005 and I'm seeking your advise as to the best side to be on. We are booked in a BA Caribe cabin on the port side. I have lots of time to change sides. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The backside --- LOL (The Aft!)

I just got off the Grand last week, so I can tell you that in PUBLIC AREAS, like the pools, PORT IS SMOKING and STARBOARD IS NONSMOKING.

We had a BB Caribe balcony on the port side, and loved it. We had great views sailing into and out of both Cozumel and Costa Maya, and hosted 'sail away' parties on our balcony. Cozumel was especially nice, as the sun was setting and the lights of the island and other cruise ships were just coming on...a nice view as we sailed off.

But I always figure out which side is most likely to get the sun - either morning or afternoon - depending on the ship's direction.

That's how we decide. But on a roundtrip from Galveston, you'd get both. So I would figure out how to get the most of the sun position that I like. :)

Archived