Bering Sea Crab Fishermen tour

Coco421

Wow does this look cool. Has anyone done this and recommend it? It looks neat and my son would love it. Can anyone give me details of their own experience on it?

I did see some info on it at NCL but would like your your opinions/experiences.

Are kids same price as adults? I saw it listed at NCL for 159.00 pp.

• Administrators
Wow does this look cool. Has anyone done this and recommend it? It looks neat and my son would love it. Can anyone give me details of their own experience on it?

I did see some info on it at NCL but would like your your opinions/experiences.

Are kids same price as adults? I saw it listed at NCL for 159.00 pp.

We did it and loved it. In my signature there are links to my review of the excursion, and to our photos of it. We're big fans of the show, but even folks who hadn't ever seen it had a great time on our excursion. We got to hold/touch all kinds of sealife, learned a lot about the work done by those who help bring seafood to our tables (the hosts on this excursion have all "been there, done that" on the Bering Sea), got some nifty photos -- just had a wonderful outing on the Aleutian Ballad.

Here's a link to their website for information on booking it independently -- http://56degreesnorth.com/ -- and also for video, photos, and pricing info. I do not believe there is any discount for booking it independently, and I think all passengers are charged the same price.

I had never seen the television show. I took this excursion only because my husband was busy fishing and I had already done the totem poles/duck tour/etc. on previous cruises. It was wonderful! -- so good, I'm going back again in May. Definitely worth the money. I don't know the age of your son, and I wouldn't take a very small child, but age 6/7 and up would really enjoy it, I think.

We did it and loved it. In my signature there are links to my review of the excursion, and to our photos of it. We're big fans of the show, but even folks who hadn't ever seen it had a great time on our excursion. We got to hold/touch all kinds of sealife, learned a lot about the work done by those who help bring seafood to our tables (the hosts on this excursion have all "been there, done that" on the Bering Sea), got some nifty photos -- just had a wonderful outing on the Aleutian Ballad.

Here's a link to their website for information on booking it independently -- http://56degreesnorth.com/ -- and also for video, photos, and pricing info. I do not believe there is any discount for booking it independently, and I think all passengers are charged the same price.

Thanks for info, glad to hear such postive reviews. I did read it was one of 2 of your favorite excursions. What was your other favorite?

I had never seen the television show. I took this excursion only because my husband was busy fishing and I had already done the totem poles/duck tour/etc. on previous cruises. It was wonderful! -- so good, I'm going back again in May. Definitely worth the money. I don't know the age of your son, and I wouldn't take a very small child, but age 6/7 and up would really enjoy it, I think.
Thank you too for your response.

My son will be 13 and daughter will be 10. I think this will be so neat and glad to hear you're doing this again!!

Anyone else?? :)

Glad to hear of the positive reviews too. We just booked this for our July cruise. On our cruise though it's more like $172 pp. Hubby picked this excursion out and that's no small thing! He never chooses an excursion; always leaves that up to me.

Glad to hear of the positive reviews too. We just booked this for our July cruise. On our cruise though it's more like $172 pp. Hubby picked this excursion out and that's no small thing! He never chooses an excursion; always leaves that up to me.

Your husband sounds like my husband!

Wow, 172.00 pp! Are there kids in your group? If so, same price??

also, did you book through NCL? How does that work; did you have to pay for it now? Did you have the option to pay now or on cruise?

Your husband sounds like my husband!

Wow, 172.00 pp! Are there kids in your group? If so, same price??

also, did you book through NCL? How does that work; did you have to pay for it now? Did you have the option to pay now or on cruise?

I booked with Princess - we're on the Golden. We just pre-reserved and haven't had to pay - YET. I just sent them an email directly to ask for pricing. Didn't mention I was on any particular ship. Let's hope it's a little less, but I'm not counting on it. And it's not even the most expensive excursion! Alaska is going to be great but it's going to absolutely kill me in the pocket book! :p

And no - no kids on this trip (thankfully, for so many reasons!)

• Administrators
Thanks for info, glad to hear such postive reviews. I did read it was one of 2 of your favorite excursions. What was your other favorite?

Our day in Seward we took a Kenai Fjords National Park excursion to Northwestern Glacier, and that was our other favorite. :)

DH and I did this in Aug. of 2007. We are big fans of "Deadliest Catch" on Discovery Channel!! GREAT time!! We didn't know they had this tour on The "Aleutian Ballad" prior to getting in to Ketchikan; we had seen a tour of the "Sea Star" boat which is an active crabbing boat and would be docked there so we could walk around on it. We got to Ketchikan and the "Sea Star" and sailed away already for Seattle:(. But then at the tourist info booth we discovered the "Aleutian Ballad" tour and they told us it was $90pp for a 3 hour tour and we jumped at that!! We had some kids on our tour that were very interested in holding the crabs, etc. WE enjoyed holding crabs, prawns and touching an octopus too! They have rain ponchos to wear if rainy, heaters if chilly, lots of seating, bathrooms, they showed a clip from "Deadliest Catch" where the big wave washes over the boat an it rolls over. If you are familiar with the show...2 of the crew were on our trip; Terry and Kiwi. Both guys were so great to talk to and ask questions of..... You can also purchase t shirts and sweathirts on board

It's worth every penny ! The big bonus comes in the form of eagles that feed within 10ft of the boat. They pull over towards a small island and throw bait over board while the eagles swoop in for a free easy meal. We will do this tour again next spring for sure!

FYI - I just booked this tour today and used a 2-for-1 coupon in the Alaska Toursaver book. I was able to book directly even though we're arriving on a Princess ship. Saved a lot of money this way. There's been a lot a great feedback on this tour and we're really excited to be going!

FYI - I just booked this tour today and used a 2-for-1 coupon in the Alaska Toursaver book. I was able to book directly even though we're arriving on a Princess ship. Saved a lot of money this way. There's been a lot a great feedback on this tour and we're really excited to be going!

Do you already have your Toursaver book? I'd hate to order the book and then call to find out they don't have any openings on my date.

Also, did you have to pay when you booked or do you pay the day of the tour?

TIA

If anyone is interested, the travel channel has a " great cruises" episode that repeats featuring the Norwegian Pearl. It shows a couple of ports and excursions including the Deadliest catch tour. It is fun to see, even if you are on a different ship.

This is great news, thanks for letting us know. Hope you don't mind if I post this as a topic for maybe more to see.

This is great news, thanks for letting us know. Hope you don't mind if I post this as a topic for maybe more to see.
I posted it in NCL forum but didn't mention any of the excursions that were mentioned on show.

Thanks for great responses. I think this is going to be a great excursion.

I'm going to have to look into that Alaska toursaving book!!:)

Do you already have your Toursaver book? I'd hate to order the book and then call to find out they don't have any openings on my date.

Also, did you have to pay when you booked or do you pay the day of the tour?

TIA

I already have the book but you can just let them know that you'll be getting one. They didn't ask for the book number. They took all the information for the 'free' passenger to put in their computer system and they'll send out an e-mail for you to print as that guest's ticket. Then they asked that you go online and book the paying passenger. You'll need to give your credit card number at that time. They were very friendly and helpful so give them a call if you have any questions.

--Lee

I already have the book but you can just let them know that you'll be getting one. They didn't ask for the book number. They took all the information for the 'free' passenger to put in their computer system and they'll send out an e-mail for you to print as that guest's ticket. Then they asked that you go online and book the paying passenger. You'll need to give your credit card number at that time. They were very friendly and helpful so give them a call if you have any questions.

--Lee

How and where do I get the coupon book?

This is one tour I might be interested in with a discount.

Thanks for any help in doing this. Do you have the number to call?

Thanks, you can e-mail me if you wish at autumnsam@aol.com

Thanks

How and where do I get the coupon book?

This is one tour I might be interested in with a discount.

Thanks for any help in doing this. Do you have the number to call?

Thanks, you can e-mail me if you wish at autumnsam@aol.com

Thanks

Here's the link to the TourSaver coupon book: http://www.toursaver.com/

You can reach the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's tour at 1-888-239-3816. I left a message and they returned my call the next day as they were just catching up on messages after returning from vacation.

Hope this helps!

Lee

This is one of the best excursions we have ever been on. Here's a link to a previous thread on the tour:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=858886&highlight=wvufan

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I'm so glad you liked it so much!! It's so expensive and looks really cool but I still like to hear such positive reviews. Thanks for posting the link.

Does the coupon have a limit on how many "buy one get one" for this excursion? I'm asking because there are 4 of us.

You must be going on Princess. They vharge more than all the other cruise lines!

Archived