First time cruisers

MsRed318

This article was in my local newspaper today. While it has some good points I don't agree with him saying it's ok to be a chair hog.

Cruising tips for first-timers

By Phil Reimer, CanWest News ServiceJanuary 10, 2009

A cruise can make for a great vacation, but for first-time cruisers it can be a little overwhelming.

Friends of mine, Ruth Atherley and Paul Holman, recently took two back-to-back Caribbean cruises on Carnival. As inexperienced cruisers, I asked them to share some of the things they learned along the way. Here are their newbie insider tips:

- Research your ports of call

It's incredibly helpful to learn a little bit about each port before you go. Spend a couple of hours online before you leave and print out some key things about each port. It will make deciding on an excursion or choosing a local restaurant or bar much easier.

- Find the right tour at the right price

You don't have to book an excursion through the cruise line to have a great experience. You can find an excellent local tour guide waiting for your arrival at the pier. While they can be much less expensive, keep in mind that you are taking a chance since they are not vetted by the cruise lines. We found a great tour at the pier in St. Thomas and had a less than good experience (can you say BORING?) in St. Maarten.

- Don't always play by the (onboard) rules

There are some onboard rules that no one pays attention to. The biggest one is that if you want a deck chair by the pool, you need to save it. There are signs everywhere saying that you can't, but everyone does. On a sea day, toss your towel on the chair in the morning; when the ship is busy you will be glad you did.

- Ask the price of those daily drink specials in the fancy glasses

They are fun and funky, and look like they will make a great souvenir, but while a daily drink special might be $6.95, ask what the cost is in the coconut cup or a container shaped like the ship that they are showcasing. It could run you up to $15 per drink. That's an expensive pina colada in a cheap-looking cup when you get it home.

- Take advantage of the free stuff

Even on an inexpensive cruise, the extras add up. Take advantage of some of the free, fun things to do. Most cruise lines publish a daily newsletter that tells you the day's activities. There are often trivia events, card games, talent shows, and karaoke. Watch for the captain's reception where the drinks are free and they serve great appetizers. Many ships also offer contests where you can win a dinner at the specialty restaurant or shipboard credit. Go and participate, it's fun!

- Staying wired can cost you

We saw lots of people on their cellphones as the ship left the port in Miami. It turns out that as soon as the ship hits international water (within a few miles) they were getting roaming charges.

The same goes for the Internet. Even if you buy a package, it costs about 50 cents per minute to go online and logging off is tricky if you're using a portable. If you have problems with the Internet still running after you have shut down, see the Internet manager right away.

Regularly check your onboard account to make sure you're staying within your budget. Little things add up.

Visit portsandbows.com for daily updates on the latest cruise news, best deals and behind the scenes stories from the industry. You can also sign up for an e-mail newsletter on the site for even more cruise information. Phil Reimer can be contacted directly at preimercanwest.com

© Copyright © The Windsor Star

There are some onboard rules that no one pays attention to. The biggest one is that if you want a deck chair by the pool, you need to save it. There are signs everywhere saying that you can't, but everyone does. On a sea day, toss your towel on the chair in the morning; when the ship is busy you will be glad you did.

New cruisers who heed Mr. Reimer's advice on this will be in for a rude surprise! :D

I think that the writer is here on CC asking advice for first time cruisers. Will have to hunt down his posts and ask him if this was indeed his advice!!

I'm not new to cruising, but saw this article and I just thought it had with some good tips for first time cruisers who might not know anything about cruising. Like I said, I didn't agree with the chair hogging recommendation. But some people don't know about roaming charges etc.

- Don't always play by the (onboard) rules

There are some onboard rules that no one pays attention to. © Copyright © The Windsor Star

Now THERE'S a great way for our northern neighbors to win friends and influence people, heh heh.

Please, DO play by the rules, especially the ones that say "Wait your turn..." whether it's for late dinner, (no one likes having to push through a crowd of overanxious late diners to get OUT of the dining room) or disembarkation. Those folks milling around the stairwells, and parking 20 bags of luggage in front of the elevators while waiting for their deck to be called are real gems, eh?

Archived