Need help!! Best snorkeling tips for beginners

allegedgogirl

We are both good swimmers, but I am fairly afraid of the ocean and what lives in it ( I saw Jaws at age 3):eek: . Are there any beaches or tours (for snorkeling) that we could go to or book that stay in fairly shallow water (no more than 15 feet)?

We are not wanting to book through the cruise line and am hoping that all my fellow seasoned travelors can give me some good advice as to where to go, who to talk to and how to save on money!!!

Also should we buy snorkeling equipt. before we come or just rent it?

Any help would be wonderful and I appreciate your advice!!!

Rent or buy: if you buy, try out the mask before you go on vacation. The mask is the most important thing.....you need a good fit. We brought our own equipment last time, except for fins. We had to go through alot of masks before finding what fit. Family of 4: 4 different styles. If you rent on the ship, try it out in the swimming pool before you get into port. If you rent on the beach, you can trade it in, as needed. The downside to bringing your own, they take up alot of room in your luggage, and they are not cheap.

Place to snorkel: We really enjoyed Chankanaab. It is about $10 per taxi from the ship and $12 per person to get in. You will snorkel from the shore, so you can go as far out as you feel comfortable. I would not recommend snorkeling from a boat since you have concerns. Do a search on this board to see if this is the place for you. There is more to do there than just snorkeling so it makes a nice, relaxing day.They also have a website. There are some free beaches....look further on this board for the details.

gogirl,

Consider this: An organized trip with a guide means you will have someone experienced who can show you how to put on your equipment correctly and who tell you that the fish you see are not dangerous. Beginning snorkelers who try to do it themselves at a beach usually get frustrated. Although the marine park mentioned above is supposed to be exception for land based snorkeling, usually the coral close to shore is dead and not good. My best snorkeling has always been over clean offshore reefs. I swam with a sea turtle once, and through a school of 10,000 blue tangs - I kid you not. Guided snorkeling can be VERY rewarding. If you don't get good help, here's my beginner's checklist to keep out of trouble:

Put on your gear in the water if on a beach, or on a platform at water level on a boat. If no platform, then on the side of the boat with little distance to the water. It reduces the scariness of jumping in and is easier.

If you are not a strong swimmer use a snorkel bouyancy vest.

Put on your fins, antifog your mask (don't leave too much antifog in your mask or it will sting your eyes.) Fit your mask and snorkel,then raise the mask up for entering the water. Lower the mask and make sure you get a good seal with no hair in the seal.

Kick slowly and gently, glide with yout hands gently helping or just let them lay along your body. don't wear yourself out. If there is any swell or current, figure out which way it goes and go against it first, then turn around and let it carry you back so you don't get tired out getting back.

Learn and practice clearing your snorkel, and emptying your mask when they get water in them.

If you are not in an organized group, use the budy system and make sure your buddy knows what that means.

Stick your head up frequently to keep oriented. Watch for boats.

Keep watch ahead and make sure you do not snorkel into shallow water over coral. Do not touch ANYTHING without a guide. You may damage 5,000 years of living history, or even more fun, get a burn you will never forget.

Stand up only in sand or your know beach entry point. Watch for spiny things (black and other colors) - another opportunity for a day in infamy.

When it's time to get out, lift your mask to your forehead. Sit in shallow water and remove your fins. For a boat, hold on to the ladder, take one fin off, hand it up, take the other off, hand it up. Follow my tips and you won't look like a first time snorkeler! :cool:

Hi Bill,

I appreciate your tips on snorkeling. I'm a beginner myself. Plan to snorkel during my cruise Dec 12-19: a little in Cayman and a little in Cozumel. We are taking the stingray/snorkel tour in Caymen and possibly a power snorkel excursion in Cozumel. I've snorkeled in Cancun and Cozumel before. I just purchased (via phone order) a Mohave snorkel. Do you have any experience with the "dry" snorkels? I'm hoping it will make our snorkeling experience even better! I also purchased the inflatable type snorkeling vests for the three of us; daughter, niece and myself. This will be the second time for my DD and first time for my niece. She said she's a little nervous, but will not chicken out...

I'm still in the market for good masks and possibly flippers. I may just use the tour's flippers.

Based on my plans, you got anymore good tips to pass along? :)

Barb, find a really GOOD mask (and snorkle) . . . it's the difference between loads of fun and nothing but frustration. There is nothing worse than a mask that "leaks" (lets water in). I just use the tour's fins . . . and if required . . . their vest.

Thanks LadyC. I do plan to get good masks for us. I read on a snorkeling page that a good fit is when you put on the mask, holding it with your hands, take a deep breath in, and the mask will not fall off once you remove your hands....I figure it's best to try them on in person. I do have a few already, so I'll just go ahead it do the "breath test" with those first. Just to be sure. I've used them in the past and don't recall problems with them. It was the last snorkel I bought that I had problems with... So, I may not need to replace my masks, when I think about it...

Well hello BarbSails,

I saw the dry snorkel in use on my trip last year to St. John, but never got ask them how well it worked. Even though it's a small risk to use use the provided masks, take time to adjust it tight and wet the seal to help it seal well. Help the kids get their masks on to make theirs will seal well.

Although I can remember a pair of flippers that pinched once, I've almost always found that there's little worry about it -- and they take up so much room in your luggage.

Hopefully the tour will have mask defogger. A little squirt, cover all the inslide of the mask, then make sure it fully drains. It stings if it gets in your eyes.

Don't forget the underwater camera, 800 speed no flash is best.

For kids, getting into deep water can be scary. Talk about it ahead of time and tell them what to expect. It's so easy to float they do not have to worry about sinking. It's like looking down into an aquarium. If she's afraid of the fish, tell her she's a much bigger fish and they are much more afraid of her.

If they do "follow the leader" warn the kids to watch ahead as they go to avoid running into another person's flippers.

Ahh, I just looked back at your post and see you are doing the ray snorkel. I have never been to the Caymans and the biggest rays I have seen snorkeling were 2'. These can be big and intimidating to kids. Remind them these are gentle creatures and they do not hurt people.

That's all I can think of... have fun!

Bill,

Thank you so much for your reply, hints and tips. You seem to know a lot on the subject of snorkeling and I appreicate and respect your advice. I will definitely leave the flippers at home--too cumbersome in the suitcase.

Now--I don't mean to sound gross, but I've been trained by a previous tour guide and have used my saliva :eek: as a mask defogger. It worked fine. Do you feel the defogger is a better or just less gross?? :D

I've bought two underwater cameras, I'll have to check the speed. I know they don't have a flash though.

My daughter (12 y.o.) is not afraid, she's snorkeled before and wanted to rip off her life vest. I wouldn't let her! My niece (20 y.o.) is the fraidy cat, but I think she'll be OK with the snorkel vest.

I pack my fins, but they are very good ones and worth the effort to me.

You can also pack some neoprene socks that can help with the fin that is a little too big.

Yes, spit works as good, if not better, than anything easy to use. There are some defoggers that resemble toothpaste that you have to rub into the glass and then more rub/rinse. That can last through a day of diving, but not really necessary with snorkelling.

If you want less gross, a some baby shampoo (no more tears) mixed with water and then a little rinse works great, also.

Aha, I see you list New Orleans as your hometown.

Yes, I like Zydeco and just returned from the Zydecocruise (my 4th and I signed up for number 5). Geno Delafose and French Rockin Boogie has always been one of the two Zydeco bands onboard. Next year they are trying something different and having Geno and a very good Cajun band - Steve Riley.

http://www.homestead.com/cajunzydeco/files/zydecocruise2005/zydecocruise2005.htm

I'm originally from New Orleans and will be back for Thanksgiving. No doubt will be at Rock'n'Bowl Thursday night for Geno, again!

another bill

Archived