Bahamas Dives thru NCL

RedHeadTexan

I am now seeing the light as to why booking on your own is the way to go in most cases. A couple of months ago NCL canceled it's dive excursion for Freeport. I was really disappointed since booking through the ship was the only feasible way to go diving because of limited port time. But, I thought heck I am still getting to dive in Nassau.

I booked through NCL for Nassau because they use Stuarts Cove. Well, this afternoon I received an email from NCL that they canceled the shark dive in Nassau!:mad:

After cursing under my breath (I leave on Saturday for this cruise), I got online and went to Stuarts Cove's website to look into booking with them directly. Normally they don't take reservations within 7 days, but I spoke with the absolutely wonderful Wendy and she was able to help DH and me. I am happy that I do get to dive with the sharks!:D

On my next cruise in December, other than Belize (thanks for the tip Randall) I will be booking on my own. I simply cannot take this kind of stress this close to sailaway.:eek: So any suggestions on dive operators in Costa Maya and Cozumel?

If you are booked on an NCL Bahamas Dive, you may want to reconsider and book on your own if they have not canceled it yet.

My son and I have had good experiences with Papa Hog's Scuba Emporium on Cozumel (resort scuba for parents, three dive trips with multiple dives for son). Heard good things about Eagle Ray Divers several years ago, but no recent info.

Why are you booking through the ship in Belize? Short port time? We did snorkel tour at Caye Caulker (shark-ray alley) twice, once with Star Tours and once with Eco Tours, no problems. Pretty sure at leat one of these offers diving. Water taxi to Caye Caulker or Ambergis Caye is an experience in itself.

Hope you enjoy the Majesty. I did the Shark Dive and Awareness Program with Stuart and Michelle back in November.I did the program on my own before NCL even offered the Shark Dive. It was an awesume program and I learned alot.The sharks were amazing.In Grand Bahama I did manage to dive through NCL with UNEXSO.At first NCL told me they cancelled the dive and then the shore excursion manager called the cabin and told me that they would accomodate me.We were in port from 8-5. I do believe you could call UNEXSO and grab a cab or bus as soon as the ship docks and make the two tank morning dive.I was back by 1:15 and just chose to stay at UNEXSO until about 300 PM. They had a very nice pool complex (18 feet deep) and a huge fresh water rinse tank, so I just washed my gear and let it dry by the pool.Grand Bahama is worth diving especially if most of your diving is not done in the Caribbean enviroment.Have a great cruise.

• 2 years later...

Archived