Fuel surcharge

Golspie

We booked our cruise on Quest (April 2009) back in February 2008 and paid in full at the beginning of September. Does anyone know if the fuel surcharge was automatically levied at that time? Our invoice did not show the levy and our agent in Australia says we have not paid the surcharge. My understanding was that it was automatically levied on all accounts.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify, please.

We booked our cruise on Quest (April 2009) back in February 2008 and paid in full at the beginning of September. Does anyone know if the fuel surcharge was automatically levied at that time? Our invoice did not show the levy and our agent in Australia says we have not paid the surcharge. My understanding was that it was automatically levied on all accounts.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify, please.

Hi Golspie !

I cannot answer your question with certainty. However, based on your comment about making final payment in September 2008, it would appear you may have paid the surcharge. Royal Caribbean annouced the suspension of the fuel surcharge on 12/5/08. What I can tell you is that either the surcharge has been removed from your invoice and you are due a refund, OR... you should recieve an Onboard Credit for the surcharge. I believe I have read on other posts, that in the case of non-US bookings, it may be the latter.

Of course, there is always a chance that the charge was removed before you made final payment, and you are not due anything.

The only one that can confirm this, is your Travel Agent. Be persistent, and make certain they answer the question to your satisfaction. Good Luck, and please let us know what happens. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Andy

I also have a question regarding the fuel surcharge. We have paid a deposit for our Baltic cruise in July and are not due to pay in full for a couple of months. My understanding from what I had initially read was that the fuel charge would be removed from our final invoice. However I have since read that it will be refunded in the form of OBC. I would rather not pay it at all! You mentioned in the above post that what happens may be different outside the US. If you or anyone else has any idea of the situation in UK I Would love to hear from you.

Thanks Vivien

Hi Andy and everyone else who responded to my original post,

It looks like I may be in for the long haul with this. When we made our booking in Feb.last year our invoice showed $70 p.p. for fuel surcharge . Between that time and 1 September when we made our final payment the fuel surcharge had risen to $15 p.p.per day. BUT our final invoice does not show the fuel surcharge but instead has an amount of $591 p.p under a heading of NCCF. Research appears to indicate that port and fuel charges are often included under this somewhat vague heading. At present I am attempting to get a breakdown of the costs from our agent but unfortunately the agent who originally made the booking is no longer with the company nor is the agent who replaced her so now we have a third agent who really is struggling to sort it all out. The evidence is that we did pay the levy but what is unclear is if it was levied at the rate it was when we booked or when we made our final payment, two very different amounts. If anyone can shed some light on this or has any experience with an invoice where charges are levied under NCCF I'd love to know. US$591 p.p. seems to be a very large amount for port charges/fees but perhaps I'm just inexperienced and it is normal.:confused:

I booked in Feb last year and my fuel charge was always shown seperately and was removed from my invoice prior to final payment ,which was December. I understood that anyone who had made the payment

would receive an OBC for the amount of any fuel surcharge.

Just a comment, the invoice you have is it from AZ or you TA,

I would demand to see the invoice from Azamara as I have never heard

of NCCF.

Go to the AZ site and price your cruise if you can and at the same time if it has reduced get you TA to have the price ammended.

I would not be happy with this at all, have you used this TA before?

Hope you have success

Just copied this from AZ web site the price is in English pounds, there is no mention of any NCCL or fuel surcharges and boy £1400 balcony GTY for a 24 night cruise what a bargain, wish I could take the time off work.

Guest 1 Guest 2

Subtotal

Cruise: 1,399.00 1,399.00 2,798.00

Taxes: 71.00 71.00 142.00

Gratuities: I would like to prepay gratuities for this vacation: 295.58

Total Price: 1,470.00 1,470.00 3,235.58

Min. Amount Due: 200.00

due on or before 19 January 2009

Hi Swisgo,

Thank you for your suggestions. I pursued the matter pretty vigourously both with my TA and the cruiseline. In the end my TA refunded the surcharge and is going to try to get it back from Azamara so all is well that ends well. I guess the motto is if you feel you have a sound case, persist.

II would demand to see the invoice from Azamara as I have never heard

of NCCF.

NCCF = Non commissionable Cruise Fare - it is the bit of the fare that the TAs doen't earn any commission on.......part of it is shown under the Taxes column and part of it is in the base cruise fare price.

It applies to every cruise care. It ranges from between £120 - £300pp depending on the cruise length and itinerary.

NCCF = Non commissionable Cruise Fare - it is the bit of the fare that the TAs doen't earn any commission on.......part of it is shown under the Taxes column and part of it is in the base cruise fare price.

It applies to every cruise care. It ranges from between £120 - £300pp depending on the cruise length and itinerary.

Thanks for the info I have never come accross that before

Thanks for the info I have never come accross that before

OP, I'm glad your TA refunded the surcharge to you!

Royal Caribbean/Azamara/Celebrity actually have 2 types of invoices - one for the agent and another for the client. The client invoice does not break out NCCF -part is included in the base fare and the rest is shown as taxes I have no idea why they do this, because if a TA sends out their invoice to the client, all kinds of confusion arises.

I remember reading on the Royal Caribbean threads that UK travellers were not going to have their 2009 and later fuel surcharges refunded, but would instead receive an onboard credit. Many were (understandably) upset about it and planned to pursue the issue, but I don't know the final outcome.

Hi Andy

I also have a question regarding the fuel surcharge. We have paid a deposit for our Baltic cruise in July and are not due to pay in full for a couple of months. My understanding from what I had initially read was that the fuel charge would be removed from our final invoice. However I have since read that it will be refunded in the form of OBC. I would rather not pay it at all! You mentioned in the above post that what happens may be different outside the US. If you or anyone else has any idea of the situation in UK I Would love to hear from you.

Thanks Vivien

Hi Vivien !

I will ask the question, and see what I can find out. When I get an answer, I will post it on this thread.

Hi Swisgo,

Thank you for your suggestions. I pursued the matter pretty vigourously both with my TA and the cruiseline. In the end my TA refunded the surcharge and is going to try to get it back from Azamara so all is well that ends well. I guess the motto is if you feel you have a sound case, persist.

Hi Golspie !

I'm happy to hear your situation was resolved. Thanks for letting us know. BTW, I agree that if you are very confident you are correct.... you should always be persistent.

Archived