Using snorkeling gear provided by the tour operator

Scrapgirl3

Hi, We are taking our first cruise in a few weeks. We have one snorkeling trip booked in the Grand Caymans and would like to snorkel on our own at a few other locations. I don't really know how they clean the gear, but I am a little grossed out by using the mouthpiece especially that someone else used. What if we buy a mask and snorkel and use the fins provided by the group? I'm trying to save space in my packing. Or is it better to buy the whole package and just find a place in the suitcase?

Where is a good place to buy snorkeling stuff? Not too expensive as we won't be snorkeling often, but not gear that will fall apart and not work, either.

Thanks for any info!

Hi, We are taking our first cruise in a few weeks. We have one snorkeling trip booked in the Grand Caymans and would like to snorkel on our own at a few other locations. I don't really know how they clean the gear, but I am a little grossed out by using the mouthpiece especially that someone else used. What if we buy a mask and snorkel and use the fins provided by the group? I'm trying to save space in my packing. Or is it better to buy the whole package and just find a place in the suitcase?

Where is a good place to buy snorkeling stuff? Not too expensive as we won't be snorkeling often, but not gear that will fall apart and not work, either.

Thanks for any info!

I bought a decent set for under $30 at tar--t.

I too thought about the yuck factor. After my first time using them I never leave home without them. :D

We've been traveling with our own gear (including fins) for a couple of years. We have a mesh snorkel bag which fits 2 sets of gear, plus our water shoes. Of course, this takes traveling light right off the menu. I suppose you could carry on this bag, but we use 2 28" suitcases, choosing to be more 'free' during the air portions of our trip. Somehow we manage to keep it under 50lbs - but sometimes it IS close!

We are avid snorkelers. On our very first snorkeling excursion I didn't even think about the equipment - just wanted to give it a try to see if I liked it. When I actually saw those snorkels coming out of the bucket, I just couldn't believe I was going to put that in mouth - but I did and many, many people do every day without incident. However, we immediately bought our own equipment for the next trip. On our land vacations, I always take all our stuff, fins, etc. On our S. Carib cruise we snorkeled in 9 ports - all on excursions; we didn't take our fins as we also were combining this with an extra week on land and just didn't want to take up the luggage space. Some of the excursions were packed with people and it became difficult for everyone to get fins that fit them; it was an issue, but usually isn't a problem. But, remember, if you decide to go off on your own to snorkel, you might not have access to fins.

I would be careful buying an inexpensive mask. A leaking mask can ruin a trip real fast and if it doesn't fit properly, there is nothing you can do to fix the situation. We went to a local scuba store and got fitted for a mask. Then, I went online and bought the masks at a substantial savings I don't remember the site we used, but it is so easy to comparison shop on line, you'll find out whether you can save money. It took quite a while to be fitted properly and I felt a little bad about not buying there, but these masks have lasted us for years. You can do the same thing with snorkels - just get snorkels with a valves that keep the water from entering the top of the snorkel.

My feeling is that sometimes it is important to try to save a few dollars, and sometimes it isn't. If I plan to snorkel often on a trip, the money spent on good equipment is very small compared to the vacation and makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

My first snorkeling excursion I just used the stuff the tour operator had. I'm very comfortable in the water so a minorly ill-fitting, little-bit-leaking mask wasn't too big of a deal and definitely didn't ruin my experience. I also wasn't too worried about other people's mouths on the snorkel. I ended up swallowing enough sea water, I'm sure I got exposed to "scarier" things that way than by putting my mouth on a community snorkel.

However, after that first go-round I decided to buy my own mask and snorkel, mostly so my mask would fit properly and I could have a "fancy 'dry' snorkel." Since then I've packed my mask and snorkel and rented fins from the excursion.

I would buy your own gear. Besides the yuck factor, you also have buying a mask that fits properly and a snorkel that feels right in your mouth. Fins can get expensive, however, there again if you plan on snorkeling more than this trip it is well worth the investment. Check out Divers Direct or Leisure Pro sites, or go to a local dive shop. Trying on a mask and actually fitting your equipment will make it a much more enjoyable experience. You also then only have to contend with your own yuck. Have fun.

I bought a decent set for under $30 at tar--t.

Coming from someone who owns thousands of dollars worth of diving gear this may sound strange, but I'd say use the rental gear for your first time. An operator in GC will probably have stuff as good as you can buy at Target/Wal-Mart. Just bring along some disinfectant wipes for the mouthpiece and mask (people often use saliva as a defogger). Wipe everything down and then rinse in seawater to get rid of the alcohol taste.

If they have different sizes of masks take a minute to find one that fits your face (put it up to your face and breath in--it should stay in place without using the strap). And a lot of leaks can be avoided by making sure no hair gets between the mask apron and your skin.

Once you decide if snorkeling is for you, you can invest in a good mask and snorkel. Good fins are only necessary for snorkeling if you have to swim a long distance to the snorkeling site (which is unusual).

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

WE bought our own gear years ago and have replaced most items once or twice along the way. The best thing we bought is a dry snorkel that has a valve at the top to help prevent most of the water that might otherwise fill it if a wave covers the snorkel or you dip your head a little too much.

We used to carry fins around and have had both full foot fins and open heel fins that fit over water shoes. But the fins were always so much to carry around - both in terms of packing for the trip and in carrying to the beach, especially if we're planning on carrying our stuff while shopping afterwards. Now we usually take only our masks and snorkel and use fins provided on an excursion or rental fins ($5 is usually the going rate for fins only). Besides, I've found that most of fins provided for snorkeling rentals are smaller and easier to use for our purposes anyways. I did buy some inexpensive neoprene "fin socks" from an online dive shop. These are great in helping rental fins to fit good and also preventing the skin on our feet from being chaffed from rubbing against the rubber of the fins.

After I tried snorkeling and found I loved, I did purchase a decent mask and a "dry" snorkel (total under $50) but not fins before my next cruise. We try to do a lot of stuff including snorkeling on our own if we can and I was sorry I didn't have fins (dive shop was closing for the day). So before the next trip, I purchased some inexpensive fins for about $15 at a sporting goods store. I would consider them more like pool fins but they work fine for snorkeling. If we do end up taking an excursion that supplies the equipment, I bring my snorkel and mask but leave the fins on the ship.

Yes, they take up room and add weight to the suitcase but I love snorkeling and feel they are worth their weight in gold and I figure out something else to leave home instead (like another pair of shoes LOL!).

Nancy

As I said we don't usually bring our fins just for the convenience of less to carry.

But last spring we knew at least one of the snorkeling stops on our cruise didn't have a rental place so we purchased some smaller fins that worked out great. Relatively small and light, at least in comparison to others. They are the US Diver Shredder fins also sold as surf fins. They are sold under a couple different names as parts of snorkeling sets but also sold separately. Here is a link on Amazon so you can see what they look like (click here) but they are available lots of places online and otherwise.

They worked fine for our basic snorkeling use and in fact I've found that, for us, smaller fins work better than larger ones as they are easier to use. I think the larger longer fins are more for diving or for more experienced frequent snorkelers who do free diving.

I would vote for bringing your own gear on the cruise. It's nice to be able to have the option of a beach/shore snorkel if the opportunity pops up. That's a great idea on the smaller fins and I'll look into that.

Not sure of where you are sailing from but you might consider finding a dive shop near that port. We did that from Fort Lauderdale and it was nice to be able to try on the gear before buying, had lots of great advice from the salesman and we didn't have to haul our gear on the plane (we shipped it home once we got back to FL.)

You can get a decent dry snorkel for as little as $8 at your local dive or sporting goods store.

I don't know how the popular designs are but when I bought my first one about 9 years ago there was a big difference and the Ocean Master worked far better than some other brands we bought. It was well worth the extra $20 or so in price back then. I haven't tried a different brand since then.

Archived