airline- power scooter

raisincainus

Yes, she can take it but it will have to go into the hold. You have the choice of giving it up at check-in or at the gate. There is no place to put a chair in the plane cabin. I purchased a travelscoot for travel and use my regular large scooter for the local neighborhood or shopping. I can walk short distances so I tend to give the airline the scooter at the check in desk and then get wheelchair assistance from there to the gate and then walk from the gate to the plane with either two canes or my rolling walker depending on my balance that day.

Just wondering if my dw can take her power scooter on an airplane, as she needs it on the cruise ship. It weighs 175lbs.

Assuming this is a US domestic flight then absolutely, oh also assuming the plane is one of sufficient size. some small planes are exempt from the requirement because they just cannot fit it in the hold.

ALWAYS let them know when you book your flight that you will be bringing the scooter and it must have approved gel/non wet cell batteries, or the batteries will have to be removed and packaged specially.

Most newer scooters do have compliant batteries, but make sure yours does. Also keep the key with you and bring along the owners manual or a copy.

Just wondering if my dw can take her power scooter on an airplane, as she needs it on the cruise ship. It weighs 175lbs.

There is another -- but more expensive -- option: rather than trying to take her scooter, you can rent one that will be in your cabin on the cruise ship, she can use it on the ship (and on shore excursions, if she can get off the ship), and then leave it in the cabin when your cruise is over. Obviously she'd travel in a manual chair (and it's a good idea to have the manual chair as a back-up should something happen to the scooter), but it might be worth the $$ to rent rather than try to transport hers.

You'd have to check with your cruise line. Some of them will only do business with specific companies, but CareVacations is one common source, and if you google them, at least you can get an idea of what you might expect to pay.

Archived