"Live" from Adventure of the Seas - January 15 - 25

Thanks again for your kind words. I am in the early stages of planning our next adventure - this one on land! But a cruise is definetely in the plans to break up the winter of 2009 - 2010.

BRL

By any chance, are you planning to scan your compasses?

I'll be sailing on aos in july 5 to 12th we debark on sunday july 12th and my fight is at 12:15pm will I have time to make this flight? i have heard it's a mad house getting off the ship and at the airport .Do they offer the on board flight check in?

I agree with the other posters - you will have NO problem getting to your flight. The madhouse at San Juan - in our experience - is way overstated. We far prefer the disembarkation in San Juan to Miami.

Good Luck!!

BRL

I agree with the other posters - you will have NO problem getting to your flight. The madhouse at San Juan - in our experience - is way overstated. We far prefer the disembarkation in San Juan to Miami.

Good Luck!!

BRL

Thank's for all your info.Do you know if there still offering the "Luggage express program"on the AOS I read on RCCL's web page that there doing it on the AOS there in San Juan. But I read somewhere here on cruise critic that the have suspended it due to the new airline resections on luggage. Any info you might have on this would be greatly appreciated. I called RCCL and for some reason they didn't know for sure.

Do yourself a favor and if your airline offers it, do the valet luggage for 20 bucks per person. We did this while on the AOS 1/18-1/25 and was worth every penny and then some. You get your boarding passes the day before the cruise is over and go right to the security checkpoint. We got off the ship quickly and were at our gate within 1 hour from the time we left our room.

Wow - Lots of activity on the thread - it's great to see!

• Adressing the questions above - the Luggage program for $20 per person is still going on - as long as your flight is AFTER a certain time. We(DW included) believe it is after noon or 1 PM, but I would do some additional checking. We did it and it worked fantastic - especially since we picked up a rental car and toured the countryside and Aricebo before our 4:10 PM flight. It was available on American, Delta, and a few others (We were on American so that is who we remember clearly).
  • Getting thru embarkation during those peak times can mean some waiting, but really no more than I remember during our times out of Miami. And if you're Platinum or above, once in the door it flies right along since you have your own line. I far prefer the debarkation at San Juan over Miami.
  • Airlines tickets are always the challenge. This last time, we booked early and grabbed seats at under $300 round trip from Minneapolis. It had one stop (Dallas one way and Chicago on the return), but that is becoming the norm for us in the Midwest. I've also booked late and gotten good deals. What I do is check the price now on a site like Travelocity, then set the system to send me an email each time the price falls by a certain amount. That way, I hope to catch the better deals. I think for all of us, we have a budget number in mind for airfare, and then hope to pick it up less than that. I have paid as high as mid 500's for tickets to San Juan, so anything in the 400's or lower is a deal for us.

Just got an email that our friends at Crowncast.org are considering an podcast on how how to keep loyal customers loyal (and happy). As I mentioned in my posts, this is obviously a controversial topic and is under quite a bit of investigation and scrutiny right now by RCCL (Changes in Loyalty Programs, different benefits or less benefits, etc). And of course all items shares on the podcast are just that - Opinions - and some educated guesses about possible changes coming down the line. If this topic is of interest to you, make sure to tune in. Not sure when the Podcast will air, but you can visit Crowncast.org for more information.

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!

BRL (Bill)

Who can help with information on getting airfare discounts to San Juan? Right now the price from Philadelphia is about $400 round trip per person. Does anyone know if the price goes down much from that?

We used a consolidator for our last trip to San Juan. You can usually find them in the travel section of your local Sunday newspaper. When United was offering online fares of about $500, the consolidator booked us at $317 pp. That fare included a $35 service charge. Good luck!

We used a consolidator for our last trip to San Juan. You can usually find them in the travel section of your local Sunday newspaper. When United was offering online fares of about $500, the consolidator booked us at $317 pp. That fare included a $35 service charge. Good luck!

Good tip - I've never heard of a consolidator. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks!!

BRL, I'd like to know if the $4.95 cover charge at Johnny Rocket's is a per-visit or per-separate order charge. I mean, is each person ordering charged $4.95, or is there a single charge for a party of 2 or more?

Thanks in advance!!

Wow - Lots of activity on the thread - it's great to see!

• Adressing the questions above - the Luggage program for $20 per person is still going on - as long as your flight is AFTER a certain time. We(DW included) believe it is after noon or 1 PM, but I would do some additional checking. We did it and it worked fantastic - especially since we picked up a rental car and toured the countryside and Aricebo before our 4:10 PM flight. It was available on American, Delta, and a few others (We were on American so that is who we remember clearly).
  • Getting thru embarkation during those peak times can mean some waiting, but really no more than I remember during our times out of Miami. And if you're Platinum or above, once in the door it flies right along since you have your own line. I far prefer the debarkation at San Juan over Miami.
  • Airlines tickets are always the challenge. This last time, we booked early and grabbed seats at under $300 round trip from Minneapolis. It had one stop (Dallas one way and Chicago on the return), but that is becoming the norm for us in the Midwest. I've also booked late and gotten good deals. What I do is check the price now on a site like Travelocity, then set the system to send me an email each time the price falls by a certain amount. That way, I hope to catch the better deals. I think for all of us, we have a budget number in mind for airfare, and then hope to pick it up less than that. I have paid as high as mid 500's for tickets to San Juan, so anything in the 400's or lower is a deal for us.

Just got an email that our friends at Crowncast.org are considering an podcast on how how to keep loyal customers loyal (and happy). As I mentioned in my posts, this is obviously a controversial topic and is under quite a bit of investigation and scrutiny right now by RCCL (Changes in Loyalty Programs, different benefits or less benefits, etc). And of course all items shares on the podcast are just that - Opinions - and some educated guesses about possible changes coming down the line. If this topic is of interest to you, make sure to tune in. Not sure when the Podcast will air, but you can visit Crowncast.org for more information.

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!

BRL (Bill)

BRL... we are flying from Minneoplis as well, the best airfare we could find was for $600.

We just booked some friends Saturday and the best we could find was $849 per person.

We could get cheaper flights if we wanted to change planes 2 times and the total duration was like 17 hours, no thanks!

BRL... we are flying from Minneoplis as well, the best airfare we could find was for $600.

We just booked some friends Saturday and the best we could find was $849 per person.

We could get cheaper flights if we wanted to change planes 2 times and the total duration was like 17 hours, no thanks!

When are you going? We are considering the AOS (either June 28 or July 5) and will need a flight out of Minneapolis. Seems like cheaper rates can be found by flying in early and staying an extra day after the cruise, but that isn't an option for us.

We are flying out a day early(Saturday 3/14/09), but flights have been very high. Airtran seems to have the best prices. I was booked already, but once seen airfare around $300 for like two days. not sure what pricing is like in June/July but I would assume they will be similar since in March it is spring break and June/July is summer vacations.

Starting to get frustrated.... would like to take Jewel to the Panama Canal next January, but nothing looks like it is available. I wonder if the agents have the rooms reserved back for some reason. I've never seen a ship this full this early - but maybe it is a very popular trip!

Bill,

I know of a ship that is sailing in early January(9-16) that would love to have your wife and good friends on her. The cruise virgins might even be along. Still working on that one.

Hey! That is a very likely possibility. Just talked to Scott yesterday, and it certainly is on the short list. I can tell you that we are going for sure - you've got the right week, and the right location.... now we just need to lock it in! It's either your ship, the canal if we can find it, or maybe a Celebrity.

If your interested, listen to a discussion we had on a different website- www.crowncast.org. The first of a three part series is tonight..

Hope all is well!

BRL (Bill)

Archived