Would you book excursion in Costa Maya?

preemie_mommy

This is dh and I's first cruise. Costa Maya is our first stop and our only other stop is Cozumel. I've researched these boards for hours and can't decide what we should do in Costa Maya. IT sounds like a trip to Mahahual is worth it.

My question is...would YOU book an excursion in Costa Maya before you went, or just decide what to do when you get there? Thanks in advance. You all are so helpful here! :)

Depending on the length of stay in port, you can do both. I booked an excursion to Chachoben ruins (you can do it own your own, or likely through the ship), which is about a 1/2 day. Chachoben is fairly close. They will probably give you a choice of being dropped at the pier or in town on the way back. The pier has a little mall-type shopping/restaurant area, and Majahual (about 1 1/2 mile south, very cheap taxi ride) has a nice beach, restaurants, shopping (there's really not much of a town here, mostly tourist businesses). If you do a shorter excursion you can eat (if the excursion hasn't fed you) and relax at either town or port.

We just returned from Costa Maya on the Voyager- Our date there was Januar 15.

I booked a tour online thru the Native Choice Tours, Much cheaper than going thru the cruise lines. We did the Chacchoben tour- had booked the double tour for both ruins but weather was horrble that day so one is all we could do.

Native Choice is owned by locals Ivan and David who are so knowledgeable about the area, I feel we got much much more for our money- learned so much about the area other package tour gudes don't know or tell you about!

Visit thier website and read about their services I highly recommend them to anyone inthe region!

I booked snorkling through the ship, only because I really don't know what kind of boat a local might have on their tour and hope the ships tour boat would be good. Then I plan on visiting a couple of bars after we are done and just hang out in Majahaul.

We just returned from Costa Maya on the Voyager- Our date there was Januar 15.

I booked a tour online thru the Native Choice Tours, Much cheaper than going thru the cruise lines. We did the Chacchoben tour- had booked the double tour for both ruins but weather was horrble that day so one is all we could do.

Native Choice is owned by locals Ivan and David who are so knowledgeable about the area, I feel we got much much more for our money- learned so much about the area other package tour gudes don't know or tell you about!

Visit thier website and read about their services I highly recommend them to anyone inthe region!

Just back from the Glory. No better choice then Native Choice Tours. You will not regret going through them, about half the cost of the cruise lines and way better. I heard the Cruise tour guide tell the group they had 5 minutes to take pictures and then that was it. We spent way more time at the ruins and even got a lesson on the Mayan calender and numbering system. Go with Ivan if possible, he was great and grew up on the grounds of Chachoben. Had plenty of time to shop in port afterwards as well.

Archived