Tendering with a 7 month old

weezlesgirl

Very safe. The tender ride is generally only a few minutes to shore. I would get into the tender first then hubby would pass our daughter to me, then he got it. Tender are pretty big. There is crew helping you in and out so you'll be fine.

Safe, no problems.

Just PLEASE remove the baby from the stroller while getting on. So many times I have witnessed the crew members handing the entire stroller with the baby in it from the ship over open water to the tender. :eek:

One person here said that they watched the stroller tip and the baby almost fall out. :eek:

So fold up the stroller when you get down to the gangway. Don't let them try to tell you to leave the baby in the stroller. ;)

I carried my babies on...my hubby carried the stroller. And even now, I hold their hands. :)

i have tendered probably 30-40 times now. For the most part there were no problems. However, I did have two terrible tendering experiences. Both were on NCL but this is probably just a coincidence. I would not tell you that tendering is safe with babies.

The first time my son was 3 months old and we went to the private island by tender. Returning to the ship, there were swells and it took an hour to finally get to the ship. Not only did I not have milk (fortuneately he was sleeping) but it was really rough with a babe in arms and the other passengers were terrified for my baby. I was the first one off because all the passengers wanted me and the baby to be safe. I appreciated that.

The second time I had my then 4 year old with me and we were on the top deck on the tender in the sun for over an hour while we tried to safely connect with the ship. It was so rough that the metal ball securing the tender broke off and the lineman was almost smashed between the tender and the ship. No one was hurt but we were all sunburned and scared. When we did have to make a mad dash from the tender- the passengers panicked and all tried to get off at the same time. I just remained seated until everyone got off and was the last one off.

So, while it is usually not an issue- It can be. Fortuneately the crew is very good about helping people on and off.

I think it depends on the type of ship they use and if the water is rough or not. I'm planning on wearing my 7 mo. old until we get to the island, then use the stroller. That way I can keep my balance without having to handle her at the same time.

One time, the life boats were used and I was near the front of the inside of the boat. It was so hot inside they had the windows (there's no glass) open, we hit a big wave, and I got drenched. Luckily I had my camera safely stowed in my bag but it could've been ruined.

I always my kids' own life jacket (which I brought from home) on them prior to tendering when they were infants. It just made me feel safer in case of an unexpected event such as a potential drop or rough water. Of course, everything was always fine, but it gave me peace of mind during the process.

I am sure that 99% of the time things are fine, but I personally would never tender with a small baby/child. My daughter is so squirmy and hates being held for awhile as it is. Also, the water could be rough. That is actually one of the main factors for me in booking the cruise I did - no tendering!

Archived