• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

We loved Liverpool, and plan on going back. The Base2stay was perfect (bring your own washcloths, just like most other Europe hotels). Reception people were very nice and helpful, our room was spotless, a good size, and very nice. It was in the center of everywhere.

The only museum that had a cost was the Beatle museum and it was worth evern cent (and not much cost, because we were seniors). Traveling around was easy, most was done walking with one day with the hop on hop off bus...again, using the senior rate.

There was nothing to not like, except the train, that didn't run because of problems, but they put us in a taxi to the James St station, on their dime. Lift didn't work there, but many people offered to help, including the conductor on the train, who emailed my son to let him know we would be on a later ferry.

The help here was spot on..thanks so much.

There was nothing to not like, except the train, that didn't run because of problems, but they put us in a taxi to the James St station, on their dime. Lift didn't work there, but many people offered to help, including the conductor on the train, who emailed my son to let him know we would be on a later ferry.

The help here was spot on..thanks so much.

Sorry about our trains (yes they are lousy sometimes!) but glad you got to sample the genuine warmth of Liverpool people. What you experienced there is the norm, not the exception. Hope you get back here soon!:)

We experienced the warmth like no other city we have been in, in the UK, or US. Nice people everywhere we turned. Even on the HOHO we asked (because their literature said it was possible) if we could grab a ride to the art museum when we were done with the Mersy ferry ride, and how much, since it would be past our 24 hours. The gal said no problem and no charge, we don't hold to the 24 hours exact time.

From our hotel, to the stores, to the deli, where we grabbed some food, everyone was so very nice.

Sorry about our trains (yes they are lousy sometimes!) but glad you got to sample the genuine warmth of Liverpool people. What you experienced there is the norm, not the exception. Hope you get back here soon!:)

We experienced the warmth like no other city we have been in, in the UK, or US. Nice people everywhere we turned. Even on the HOHO we asked (because their literature said it was possible) if we could grab a ride to the art museum when we were done with the Mersy ferry ride, and how much, since it would be past our 24 hours. The gal said no problem and no charge, we don't hold to the 24 hours exact time.

From our hotel, to the stores, to the deli, where we grabbed some food, everyone was so very nice.

That's great to hear. Now you know why I am so proud of my city.:)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick heads-up to anyone visiting Liverpool. The new Museum of Liverpool is now open and it's right on the Pier Head, a two minute walk from the cruise ship terminal. Entry is free and although I haven't yet had the chance to visit it myself, I'm told that it's well worth a look.:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
TowncarT:

Thank you SO much for this post (even though it's a few years old). We will be visiting Liverpool on our British Isles Cruise next May (2012). I have printed out your post and have already highlighted things to do. Great job!

Hope you have a great time here. It's a really friendly place.

I will post some new stuff on the thread soon, as things are moving on quickly in Liverpool, and the new waterfront museum (FREE ENTRY!!) is now open.

Just arrived back after a wonderful family visit to Las Vegas.

Feel free to ask any questions you like about Liverpool or its surroundings. There's lots of people on here who I'm sure will pop in to help.

Happy Holidays!

• 3 weeks later...
I originally typed, "Can I walk from the ship to Penny Lane?" and then backed up the map a bit and went, "Oh yikes.... probably not!" :rolleyes:

Well, in theory, you probably can, and you might even get back before the ship sails - but I doubt it!! LOL!

In reality, it's an inexpensive taxi ride if you really want to go. Our American friends just loved going there and getting their picture taken by the sign etc. You could do Strawberry Field and Penny Lane in the same trip. There are plenty of Beatles Tours that you can book too. Lots of options really.

Whatever you do, have fun in our city!!:)

Well, in theory, you probably can, and you might even get back before the ship sails - but I doubt it!! LOL!

In reality, it's an inexpensive taxi ride if you really want to go. Our American friends just loved going there and getting their picture taken by the sign etc. You could do Strawberry Field and Penny Lane in the same trip. There are plenty of Beatles Tours that you can book too. Lots of options really.

Whatever you do, have fun in our city!!:)

Yep, you guessed it! May possibly take the cab over to get pictures near both after visiting the Maritime Museum and local dock activities.

Edited by DeloreanGirl

Towncar T,

I have read this thread from page 1! Wonderful information on your town....we look forward to our visit next May!

I have a specific question, hoping you might be able to point me in the general direction. Are there any cross-stitch / needlework shops in Liverpool? I am a cross-stitcher and am specifically looking for Thea Gouverneur cross-stitch kits. I do not know where they might be sold in the UK...whether it might be in specific shops or department stores. I'm hoping to check in each of our ports. I can always order on-line, but thought I would check around while visitng.

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide. We hope to do the HOHO bus and enjoy the sites of your town.

Melissa

Actually, the Liverpool HOHO looks like it hits a lot of stops, and the U-Boat thing looks cool for my hubby (is it cheesy? is it worth it?).

Not sure if you're asking about the U boat or the Ho Ho, so I'll answer both!

I don't think either is cheesy, as it happens. I'm assuming you're here for one day on a cruise. That being the case, it would be really easy to get the HoHo at Canada Parade (I think that's what it's called) which is only 150 yards walk from the ship, right in front of the waterfront buildings. After you go around the loop on the hoHo, you could walk across (100 yards) to the ferry terminal and take the ferry (a must in my opinion!) to Woodside ferry terminal. The submarine is right at the Woodside ferry terminal and I'm sure is very interesting to somebody with a fascination for modern history. If you do go there, be sure to take advantage of the great photo opportunities to photograph Liverpool from 'across the water'. Hope that helps.:)

Towncar T,

I have read this thread from page 1! Wonderful information on your town....we look forward to our visit next May!

I have a specific question, hoping you might be able to point me in the general direction. Are there any cross-stitch / needlework shops in Liverpool? I am a cross-stitcher and am specifically looking for Thea Gouverneur cross-stitch kits. I do not know where they might be sold in the UK...whether it might be in specific shops or department stores. I'm hoping to check in each of our ports. I can always order on-line, but thought I would check around while visitng.

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide. We hope to do the HOHO bus and enjoy the sites of your town.

Melissa

Hi Melissa. At the moment I don't know the answer to your question, but I will certainly find out. Am I right in assuming that cross-stitching is the same as tapestry? There are definitely craft shops in Liverpool, so I will find out for you and post the answer on here if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Since posting the above I have found that John Lewis Department store (easy walk from the ship) stock cross-stitch kits. Here's a link

http://www.johnlewis.com/Sport+and+Leisure+/Crafts+and+Design/Embroidery+Kits/Embroidery+Kits/17026/ProductCategory.aspx#&&/wEXAgURU2VhcmNoRXZlbnRUYXJnZXQFH1NlYXJjaFJlc3VsdHNHcmlkMV9VcGRhdGVQYW5lbDEFE1NlYXJjaEV2ZW50QXJndW1lbnQFZ1NSVC9TcG9ydCtfMjYrTGVpc3VyZSsvQ3JhZnRzK18yNitEZXNpZ24vRW1icm9pZGVyeStLaXRzL0VtYnJvaWRlcnkrS2l0cy8xNzAyNi8xLzAvUHJvZHVjdENhdGVnb3J5LmFzcHhEuF1r+yUDz8FES/5YJySC9L8IYw==

I will make enquiries about the Thea Gouverneur kits you mention.

Edited by Towncar T

Hi Melissa. At the moment I don't know the answer to your question, but I will certainly find out. Am I right in assuming that cross-stitching is the same as tapestry? There are definitely craft shops in Liverpool, so I will find out for you and post the answer on here if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Since posting the above I have found that John Lewis Department store (easy walk from the ship) stock cross-stitch kits. Here's a link

I will make enquiries about the Thea Gouverneur kits you mention.

Thank you for the link! That give me a path to research. You are in the right direction in that cross-stitching is like tapestry; but tapestry and embroidering appear more complex!! A needlework shop would encompass all different types of stitching. I just am not sure where to look once in port...whether regular department stores (like John Lewis) would carry such things or if there were specialty stores. We have both here in Texas.

Thank you for enquiring around, I do appreciate it! I can always order on-line, so please don't go out of your way!! Thank you!

On another note, I was looking at the Maritime Museum website and noted their exhibit on Liverpool and the American Civil War. As I enjoy that specific historic era, I definitely want to see it!!

Thank you again for all your help!

Melissa

Thank you for the link! That give me a path to research. You are in the right direction in that cross-stitching is like tapestry; but tapestry and embroidering appear more complex!! A needlework shop would encompass all different types of stitching. I just am not sure where to look once in port...whether regular department stores (like John Lewis) would carry such things or if there were specialty stores. We have both here in Texas.

Thank you for enquiring around, I do appreciate it! I can always order on-line, so please don't go out of your way!! Thank you!

On another note, I was looking at the Maritime Museum website and noted their exhibit on Liverpool and the American Civil War. As I enjoy that specific historic era, I definitely want to see it!!

Thank you again for all your help!

Melissa

If you research a bit (Google has loads of info) you will see that Liverpool played a very active role in the civil War. The very first act and the very last act of the Civil War had Liverpool connections. Some of the guns that fired on Fort Sumpter were manufactured in Liverpool and the very last act of the war was the surrender of the CSS Shenendoah to the Royal Navy in Liverpool. During the war, Liverpool was the unofficial home port of the Confederate fleet and was also a sort of unofficial embassy. If you are really interested in the Civil War you might want to wander up to Rumford Place (about a 5-10 minute walk from the ship) to see the buildings that were occupied by Confederates during the war. Some of them are named after Civil War people and places.

It was all about trade really, because the Union blockade of the south had a huge impact on Liverpool's trade in cotton. I'm not sure it is a time of our history to be proud of, but it is part of our history nevertheless. If you have any more questions on it then fire away!!

http://www.stitchability.co.uk/thea_gouverneur_cross_stitch_kits.htm

Buy from the manufacturer. They ship wordlwide.

Now there's a great tip, but I don't think that link is to the manufacturer, as they are apparently made in Holland. Looks like a good site though. But I suspect you'd also like to just browse. There are definitely some craft stores in Liverpool city centre. We'll just have to pin them down. When are you visiting the city?

Edited by Towncar T

I went into a knit shop in Liverpool, no idea where it was though, so I'm no help. I do remember the prices however. The US prices were covered up and I paid a heck of a lot more for what I could have gotten here at home :)

I went into a knit shop in Liverpool, no idea where it was though, so I'm no help. I do remember the prices however. The US prices were covered up and I paid a heck of a lot more for what I could have gotten here at home :)

Unfortunately, with our sales taxes and whatever, we seem to pay more than most places for pretty much everything! Whenever we visit the states, we marvel at how much cheaper many things are than over here. If it was a US product then it makes sense to buy it in the US, as it will always be a heck of a lot more expensive here due to the fact that there are shipping costs, import duties and the dreaded VAT to add.:(