• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

On my answer for Beatles stuff, ours will be limited to The Beatles Story not anything else. Probably not a popular opinion but I have always thought the Beatles were over-rated. Songs make no sense..."I am the walrus"...really? I think the Bee Gees did a lot more for music, much longer career and started their own genre.

On my answer for Beatles stuff, ours will be limited to The Beatles Story not anything else. Probably not a popular opinion but I have always thought the Beatles were over-rated. Songs make no sense..."I am the walrus"...really? I think the Bee Gees did a lot more for music, much longer career and started their own genre.

Good that you have an opinion. Music is an art form and as such is open to interpretation and no two people will have exactly the same opinion. Liverpool is rightly proud of the Beatles but we have a lot more than that to offer, as you may well see. As for the Bee Gees......I could listen endlessly to their music. They are some of the best songwriters ever to grace the planet, and are also from this neck of the woods. They were born not 40 miles from Liverpool, in our great neighbouring city of Manchester.:)

Great to see the ships coming into Liverpool. I was watching the Queen Mary recently. I just wish that we could cruise out of Liverpool on more ships, would save a journey to Southampton. ;)

Just a thought, if you are looking to do your own trip, either by car or minibus, you could try Ellisons Travel, based just outside Liverpool.

They do the team coaches for Liverpool and Everton Football Clubs, but I know they have a large fleet of Mercedes Sprinters and S Class cars with drivers, so if you know what you want to do, they would be ideal.

We have used them ourselves once or twice for local stuff, the drivers are very professional and the vehicles beautiful.

I think they could find you a Blue Badge (offical), guide too if you wanted.

www.ellisonstravel.com

Certainly worth a try.

Kate

Now there's a great tip, but I don't think that link is to the manufacturer, as they are apparently made in Holland. Looks like a good site though. But I suspect you'd also like to just browse. There are definitely some craft stores in Liverpool city centre. We'll just have to pin them down. When are you visiting the city?

Towncar T - How did you know? LOL! Half the fun is the browse....no telling what other trouble I can find! Our day in Liverpool, off the Carribbean Princess, is Wednesday, May 30, 2012. Our port itinerary indicates a time from 0600 to 1900.

Again, thank you for your help!

Melissa

• 3 weeks later...
Just realized that The Cavern Club (it is THE Cavern Club, right? Not a knockoff?) is right there within walking distance from Albert Dock. Or is it part of the HOHO stops? Hmm..... must research more....

Yes you can walk to the Cavern Club from the Docks, won't take too long. However, although it looks like the Cavern Club and is called the Cavern Club, it isn't the original one, but was rebuilt in the 1980's. I believe the bricks used were some of the ones from the original.

It is definately an experience when you visit, I went to a live gig there a few years back and it was just incredible.

I am sure Towncar will have a lot more information!

Kate

Edited by K8T

However, although it looks like the Cavern Club and is called the Cavern Club, it isn't the original one, but was rebuilt in the 1980's. I believe the bricks used were some of the ones from the original.

No way! :eek: First Shakespeare's Globe and now this! :(

Bummer!

I'm sure I'll swing by and take a few pics just for fun. The city seems nice and walkable (I hope). I'm on the lookout for Super Lamb Banana.....

No way! :eek: First Shakespeare's Globe and now this! :(

Bummer!

I'm sure I'll swing by and take a few pics just for fun. The city seems nice and walkable (I hope). I'm on the lookout for Super Lamb Banana.....

It's certainly worth a visit but, like Kate said, it's not the original Cavern Club. However, I know quite a few musicians who played at the 'old' Cavern, and that say the new one is a faithful re-creation of the original. I was a generation too late for the Cavern Club, so I can't comment on it myself.

That whole Matthew Street area is quite interesting from a Beatles perspective. Check out the Eleanor Rigby statue just around the corner in Stanley Street. Good photo opportunity there.:)

I'm about 2 generations removed from the Beatles but still have a deep appreciation. Looks like a HOHO tour is in the cards as well as some walking. :)

Don't miss the Merseyside Maritime Museum (again, walking distance rom the ship). It has a superb exhibit in the basement on emigration to the new world, including a mock-up of life below decks on a sailing ship. Remember, over 9 million people set sail for the new world from our city. Our history is your history.:)

Don't miss the Merseyside Maritime Museum (again, walking distance rom the ship). It has a superb exhibit in the basement on emigration to the new world, including a mock-up of life below decks on a sailing ship. Remember, over 9 million people set sail for the new world from our city. Our history is your history.:)

Oh yes, definitely visiting that! Hubby and I are Titanic-a-holics and he loves ships of all types, so I promised him we'd go there.

Oh yes, definitely visiting that! Hubby and I are Titanic-a-holics and he loves ships of all types, so I promised him we'd go there.

Sometimes they have actors dressed as officers/passengers from the Titanic playing roles and giving readings. Those are very popular. :)

• 1 month later...

Towncar T,

Can you tell me if the Yellow Duck Marine is still operating? I've tried to contact them but haven't received a response. Are they still at Albert Dock? Thanks for your help and all the great Liverpool info.

Edited by frazzled1

• 2 weeks later...
Towncar T,

Can you tell me if the Yellow Duck Marine is still operating? I've tried to contact them but haven't received a response. Are they still at Albert Dock? Thanks for your help and all the great Liverpool info.

Sorry I haven't checked in for a bit. I think it is still operating, but I'll find out for you:)

Towncar T

thank you any info would be appreciated.

OK. I just rang them and spoke to 'Paul'.

They are fully operational and are taking bookings. He did recommend that you book in advance, as they are very popular, especially during high season. He did say the following:

You can book by telephone on 0151 708 7799 ( International dialling +44 151 708 7799)

Alternatively you can book online at http://www.theyellowduckmarine.co.uk

Bookings have to be paid for at the time of booking.

Once you make a booking, it cannot be changed (numbers, time of tour etc)

No refunds!!

He was very specific on this, so make sure your plans are firmed up before you book it.

I have never been on the tour myself, but it looks like fun, and the trip ends with a big splash in the Albert Dock (actually Salthouse Dock, but who cares?)

I think I might actually book this trip myself, so that I know what it's really like.

Enjoy your stay in our historic city. It's the most welcoming city you'll visit (but I am a little bit biased!):)

Towncar T

thank you for the info I will try calling in the morning here- afternoon there. We have done "duck" tours in other cities and they are alot of fun.

I hope you do try it sometime.

Where I live we have "be a tourist in your own hometown days" where they open up local tourist places- museums etc for free for the locals.

Its fun plus then we can recommend places to see and do for our visiting out of towners.

Thanks again I am looking forward to visiting Liverpool.

Saw the Duck today, very busy. We did it last year and was really hilarious. Definately worth doing.

Went to the Maritime Museum today - a short walk from where the ships come in. There is a very interesting exhibition about the Titanic, as well as the usual stuff.

We also did Speke Hall two weeks ago, another place that is worth going to, all the time I have lived up here and never been - really enjoyed it.

Kate

I'm excited about this one! :D

The Titanic exhibition is a permanent one, which has actors dressing up and role-playing, as crew and passengers from time to time. it is very interesting. Note also the Titanic Memorial right at the point where you disembark from the ship.

I made our reservations for the duck tour today. We will probably spend the rest of the day in or near Albert Dock.:)

You can easily enjoy a whole day at or near the Albert Dock, which is a five minute walk from where the ship docks (DEFINITELY no need for a taxi unless you have walking difficulties). There are two great (free!) museums there and a host of other attractions. Plenty of good dining options too. If you want to shop in the stores, the Liverpool One complex is right across the road from there. Everything is wheelchair-friendly too.

I really need to get down to the Albert Dock myself before too long. Been a while since I last visited.

Enjoy!:)

You can easily enjoy a whole day at or near the Albert Dock, which is a five minute walk from where the ship docks (DEFINITELY no need for a taxi unless you have walking difficulties). There are two great (free!) museums there and a host of other attractions. Plenty of good dining options too. If you want to shop in the stores, the Liverpool One complex is right across the road from there. Everything is wheelchair-friendly too.

I really need to get down to the Albert Dock myself before too long. Been a while since I last visited.

Enjoy!:)

I am so looking forward to this day. Thanks again for the help and the good weather request (have my fingers crossed for that).;)