Live Grand Jan 16 to Feb 13

vickie_bernie

Hello from the Grand..Vickie is doing a great job describing our trip..I was lucky enough to find her and introduce myself last night....HI VICKIE!

We did almost the same tour as Vickie in Trinidad..(when we were there with Toto on the Sea Princess we did not go further than the market by the ship port)..We missed a lot,,we went with a taxi driver today for 4 hours and toured much the same as Vickie described on her tour, the beach and the shark,$4.00 for a great meal...at NO time were we intimidated or fearful in Trinidad..I would say,enjoy the island..its full of history and really lovely..a wonderful day..

The cruise is great..and I am beginning to really like this size ship...

Barbados tomorrow.. :))

Suzan, So happy to hear you didn't have any problems. On our cruise last week, one guy wasn't a block from the pier before he was mugged. :( Coarse, this guy wasn't anywhere near the size of YOUR guy. lol

Talked me out of going anywhere if a grown man can have this happen.

I know, it can happen anywhere. But when the ship prints warnings in the patter to be careful of this port, that's enough to talk me out of venturing past the straw market. And yes, I have chicken feathers. LOL

Have a great time in Barbados, whatever you have planned. I see it was a bit cooler in Trinidad today compared to the almost 90 we had last week. Hopefully Barbados will bring sunshine and blue sky for your visit. ;)

Hello to all you 'Grandees' from over here on the Emerald.

I've got an inkling that we're both in Barbados today so hopefully bump into some of you out and about!

And don't forget the cricket in St Kitts on Sunday!!! :D

Cheers,

Malcolm (Mr 'Jen_BC')

But, Sarah, shampoo & conditioner are heavy :D

Hard to believe that you've been on the Grand for a week already. It's flying by for me so I can't imagine how fast it is flying by for all the cruisers on board.

Safe travels.

Hi Vickie and Bernie, We are going to be on the Grand for the next Caribbean cruise, Jan 30 to Feb 13. This will be our first cruise and I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I do have questions.

I am a recent Red Hatter and I was wondering if there will be a Red Hat function during that cruise. Should I pack my hat???

Is there a spot where you and look and see what the various activities on board will be?

Also can you request diabetic meals? or at least low sugar??

Thanks for the help, hope to meet you face to face next week.

Thanks for the wealth of information and all the live posts from those of you onboard and to Toto for sharing her experiences. All in all, we should have a great time when we get to cruise in March because we will know just what to do.

Has EZ Check been offered when you return to Ft Lauderdale? If it is, debarkation day would sure be a lot smoother. Thanks for letting us know, one way or the other.

It was no longer offered after the last sailing in Fort Lauderdale. :( Luggage charges for checked bags was the reason we were given for it not being offered any more.

I will try and reply to the questions. If I can remember them all

toto - didn't catch any fish

we too bring our own shampoo and conditioner that we purchase in Ft Lauderdale prior to trip.

Susan - you are the one who introduced herself at the stairwell the other day, now I remember, you are coming to Water Island with us right? If we dock at Crown Bay meet at the large anchor at the pier before you leave at 10 am - we will catch the 10:30 ferry. If we dock at Havensight meet at the end of the mid ship gangway at 9:30 and we will take taxi to Crown Bay.

Hello Malcom on the Emerald - we toured with Bill and Cathy on Silvermoon was so nice to see them both. I know Colin/Gwenda are doing cricket tomorrow - he is bringing the british flag.

No word hear about eliminating dry cleaning - all the perks are there still. They did ahve a laundry bag deal three days ago.

Comquot - yes they did have a red hats society meeting the other day (I believe the third sea day). We have a red hat lady in our group.

Gee I don't have the patters with me but I know Marizio is playing in the Atrium and he has a huge following. Sorry will try and remember Patters next time so i can help.

EZ check - I will have to rely on Toto's answer as we haven't gotten anything as we are staying on for another sailing.

Today is Saturday so it must be St. Vincent

But I should back up and report on Barbados. We did book Silvermoon and we had a group of 12 and were to be on the Silvermoon II but they put us on III so we were really spoiled. Friends of ours from the Emerald joined us and it was GREAT. Highly recommend them. Almost tempted to do it again in two weeks. Saw the turtles and loved feeding the fish. Make sure you wear lots of sunscreen - we did but still got a little red. Must say the drinks started to get to me and I was feeling no pain as I walked back on board. So a quick shower and nap.

We both were feeling lazy and didn't really want to dress for dinner in the dining room so we headed up to the HC and then back tot eh cabin to watch a movie and have an early night.

Today we are in St. Vincent and we don't have plans - we are going to walk around and check out the gardens and grab lunch. Next time we are here we are doing Wayne's tour.

Yesterday our cruise critic friends were on the morning show. Brian dressed up in his grass skirt and coconut bra and made an appearance with his two body guards Colin and Lawrence, good laughs but scary to see in the morning.

Today they have a spa special from 2 to 8 20% off treatments.

Hard to keep track of the days - all a blur good thing they are keeping the days numbered for us.

Tonigt we have a large CC group for dinner at Sabatinis. thanks Vera for organizing.

Well I can't think of anything else... so it must be time for me to enjoy my latte.

vickie

But I should back up and report on Barbados. We did book Silvermoon and we had a group of 12 and were to be on the Silvermoon II but they put us on III so we were really spoiled. Friends of ours from the Emerald joined us and it was GREAT. Highly recommend them. Almost tempted to do it again in two weeks. Saw the turtles and loved feeding the fish. Make sure you wear lots of sunscreen - we did but still got a little red. Must say the drinks started to get to me and I was feeling no pain as I walked back on board. So a quick shower and nap.

Hi Vickie,

Sounds like you two are having a great time. Can't wait till it's our turn!! Did you do the Ocean tour through Princess, and do you have to snorkel, or can we just swim along?

See you SOON!

Heather & Gerry

Vicky-Have a great day in St. Vincent.

I watched the webcam this AM and also saw Wayne picking up his tour at the end of the pier. Hope the CC group has a delightful day. It is one of the best tours we have found in a long time in the Southern Caribbean.

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day in St. Vincent!

And for lunch on the tour, this is what they will have ready and waiting for them at the Pirates of the Caribbean movie set restaurant. :D

1676860910_GrandPrincessJanuary22009058.jpg.abcebbccf7bff3d3e5b1b2553fe0f356.jpg

Hello Grand Followers..We are in St Vincent..I should have booked Toto's famous tour,,as NO one was heading to the beach,,and after trying to share a taxi we resorted to a onboard day..The weather is great..We had a beeautiful full day in Barbados yesterday,,bumped into many Emerald passengers..we went to the beach near the Boatyard..then a little shopping,,then to the RUM factory...This is the strongest rum I've ever had,,I took a long nap and missed the sailaway,,and dinner!

I will compare the Grand and the Emerald/Crown ships when I retrun..

What a great group on this cruise,,and WONDERFUL friendly service!

Hey Suzan, good to hear from you.

Yep, St. Vincent is one of those places where you need to have something booked. Next time we cruise together (:)) in that area, I will show you how much fun Wayne's Tour is. ;)

Enjoy your day onboard and have a great evening!

Hi Vickie,

Sounds like you two are having a great time. Can't wait till it's our turn!! Did you do the Ocean tour through Princess, and do you have to snorkel, or can we just swim along?

See you SOON!

Heather & Gerry

no we booked the independent tour thru Silvermoon directly.

What a great place! We loved St. Vincent. We got off the ship and walked, now it did require some manuvering around the throngs of Taxi drivers but as seasoned cruises we are good at this. Since we dock on a Saturday the local market is in full swing and it is crazy, but if you walk a few blocks up from the main drag it is rather nice.

We ended up walking to the botanical gardens (about 30 min) and there is no cost to go in, but you can hire a guide (they are identified by a white card arond their neck and can be found at the gate) the guide charged $4 each and he was with us for just over a half hour and he was great. He was so knowledgeable and really explained everything.

We left there then started our way back to the ship walking along some side roads. We found it very very safe adn the locals were so nice and friendly. There was a little shack that sold sodas, water, soup, and of course beer so we bought two and sat there with two other locals and chatted. They are very proud of their island and love that you are here to share it.

We stopped at the market and bought a Roti to share, yum.

By this time we were worn out and hot -- so back the ship for some last minute sun and swim. Beautiful sailaway - we had light showers and this lovely rainbow appeared - beautiful pictures.

Tonight is Sabatinis with the CC group. Can't wait, I've held back on the amount of food consumption so I can enjoy dinner.

Did notice today as I walked down the hall that some of the cabin steward carts have the cardboard shampoo and conditioner still - we have the plastic bottles in our room.

Also my favorite area is the library with its three computer stations, it is quiet and lovely. I should note that today a sign is up saying that their system is not able to access AOL which is out of their control so good to be aware just in case.

Chef's Table, one couple from our roll call did go and he posted here earlier saying it was great even better he thought than last year on the Emerald. We have spoken to the Matre D and he has confirmed that we are in for the next sailing. He even asked us if we have a preferance to the entre as we have done it twice before. I should also write that because the Chef's Table was not advertised on the first day in the patter no one knew about it and it was not well attended. I did see Bob today and he said there was ten people at their table but when we saw it the second time they had it there were only six at the large table for ten and it was apparent that it was difficult to carry on a conversation.

Well Off to shower, quick drink before dinner then Sabatinis. It will be an early night as tomorrow is St. Kitts and we have a private tour with Thedford Grey to climb the volcano so we need to be ship shape for that.

Hi Vicki,

Love reading you and Toto's live post on the Grand. Will be sailing Feb. 27 and its so much fun reading all the great things that's going on.

:D I'm a big cookie eater and wondering if they have the cookies out on the buffet, we are also big buffet eaters and hoping the food is good. If you eat there can you please comment?

Love good movies, really like good dramas. a good comedy now & then as long as they are not just stupid.:rolleyes: Any good ones playing?

Thanks so much for your time and continue to have a great time.

Debbie

Archived