Xcaret questions

jnnifer01

My family and I plan on going to Xcaret while in Calica/PDC. Does one entrance price cover all areas? It looks fun and pretty in the pictures I've seen online. The snorkeling looks like fun for some of us and the others in the group might want to see the birds & tropical plants and relax some, too. What's the best way for a large family to get there? Any info and input would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

The entrance price covers the areas. Some things have an extra fee such as swimming with the dolphins, snorkeling. You'll have a great time at Xcaret - it's a neat place. Did you check out their website?

You also need eco-safe sunscreen. I bought mine on line and took it with me or you can buy it in the park.

Taxi service is good - you should have no problem getting a mini van or a taxi or two. :)

• 2 weeks later...

How is the snorkeling there? I've read they have caves to snorkel in- is that nice?

I also read that they have animals and a bird aviary to view- is this true?

What is not to be missed when we visit Xcaret?

Thanks for your help :)

• 2 weeks later...

We went last week & loved it. We went when we were in Calica. The Cozumel excursion is an all day event & in Calica its at your own pace. The buses run every 30 minutes from the port to the park & back. The snorkling was great. The guides spent a lot of time with us showing us starfish, etc. Great guys. They also have an underground river you can float down. We didn't but wished we had of after we got back to the boat. Saw several people floating it & they loved it. There is a butterfly area that you don't want to miss (walk around the top path), tons of butterflies. They have other animal areas also. They even have two Manatees (sp wrong!) They have hamocks on the beach, lots of shaded areas. Our cost through Carnival was $55.00 per person. Snorkling was $29.00 per person. Well worth it IMO. We really enjoyed it & will go again upon our return to Calica (I KNOW we'll go again oneday!!!).

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way to get to Xcaret is via Taxi from PDC: $8 one way. I'm not sure where your ship is docking from though, so there might be a cheaper and easier way. Make sure you get there early, that is the only way you can really have time to enjoy the park.

Do the underground river first thing when you get there! It gets crowded in the afternoon and isn't as much fun with everyone bopping up and down in the water. To be honest, you don't see much fish in the underground water. Although there is more fish to see when you reach the beach/lagoon area if you want to snorkel. It can be a long swim, but with life vests it isn't too bad.

Xcaret is wonderful and has a little bit of something for everyone. I'd highly recommend the butterfly pavilion, aviary (you can right up close to the parrots) and HUGE sea turtles. All the animal exhibits are really good. Plan your time accordingly as it's easy to spend all your time in one area, and then you miss the rest of the park. If you have time, you should really stay for the Xcaret night show, it's an amazing performance. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I went to Xcaret last year (tooka ferry over to Playa from Cozumel). It was, ands-down, my favorite excurision ever in the Caribbean.

We had six hours there. I could have stayed a week.

Tips:

Try to get a map (you can get one at the website, or better yet - have one mailed to you) and try to get familiar with the layout before you go. This way you are less likely to spend precious time walking in circles or trying to navigate your way using the map for the first time. I did this and it was worth the prep time.

Good advice earlier --- Underground river is definitely better first thing in the morning, before it gets crowded. Don't miss it; it's the signature event. Let them take your picture. Ours came out great, and we bought it, as it was well worth the $10.00.

I wouldn't bother finding sunscreen in advance. They give you plenty of samples at the door.

If you enjoy horticulture, don't miss the orchid farm. It is beautiful - got some great pictures there. Butterflies were also beautiful.

Wear comfortable shoes- it's a big place. Around the snorkeling inlet, and near the back exit of underground river, there are LOVELY places to relax and soak up the atmosphere. Hammocks and little picnic tables around the inlet are great resting spots. Some are even shaded by the vegetation along the path.

My husband just reminded me to add this - the whole day is wet/dry/wet/dry, etc. So, I'd highly recommend wearing quick-drying clothes.

Have fun!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How cold is the underground river and have you seen anyone doing it in a shorty wetsuit?

I can't handle cold water at all and was wondering if I should bring my shorty for that.

Thanks!

Average year-round river temperature, per a sign they had, is 62 degrees F. It didn't feel any colder than the Comal. It felt a bit cold when I first got in, after that it was fine.

I didn't notice or care what anyone wore in the water. You do have to wear a life jacket which they provide. I am sure they would not care if you wore a wetsuit. I personally would not want to haul one around all day, but if that were the only way I could go down the river I'd do it.

What I wish I had brought was some kind of water shoes. They are not ADA compliant there, there are a lot of places with no hand rails. I slipped and fell twice. Also if you put your feet down too far in the river you may scrape it on a rock.

It is the most beautiful place I have ever been. If I ever get married I swear I am getting married there. I was almost in tears half the time I was there and I'm not a super emotional person.

Jen,

I was there last week. They do have lockers for rent. I think it is about $8.00 and you get $5.00 back when you return the key. HTH

For others-the water is cool initially, but after a minute the temp. is fine.

TC

Laylow

• 2 weeks later...

The underground river is suitable for kids. We took my 8 and 4 year old girls without problems. However, here are few recommendations.

1. Have the kids jump in quickly rather than slowly walking in the water. The chill of the water will be less dramatic.

2. Explain (without scaring them) about dim lights inside the underground cave passage way. Some part are more dark than others and "sensitivy" kids might want to know before hand.

3. My 8 year old had a great time... she know how to swim very well!

My 4 year old, she knows how to swim only a little... and completely panicked due to wearing the life jacket. I think the sensation of "floating" was too scary for her. But we (as parents) were determined to float down the river. She managed by hanging on "to dear life" to my life jacket. This made the trip for me a bit long!!!

Otherwise, it's great!!!! Can't miss!!!

What do you do with your stuff while floating in the caverns? We all want to go but will have a backpack with towels, clothes, $$, etc. Is the lockers very far from the cave entrance and exit??

THanks!

They give you a HUGE bag to put your belongings in, lock it up in front of you, hand you the key on a string (which I put around my neck) and ferry it over to the end. When you get out of the river you give them your key and they go get the bag and unlock it for you - VERY neat system.

There are some lockers relatively near the entrance. I am not sure about the exit. (the entrance and exit are in different places).

I read on the Xcaret website that snorkeling is extra...can anyone tell me

1) is it worth it

and

2) how much extra?

Thanks!

It is extra if you do not bring your own snorkeling equipment. I don't remember how much, but not a lot.

We had a great time at Xcaret. It was so big and there was so much to do, that we didn't get to do all we wanted in 4 hours. The underground river was the best. I would not recommend wearing snorkel gear in this area, there is not much to see as it is a little dark. But it is really awesome. A little cold at first but you move the whole time and don't notice it after a minute or 2. We wore water shoes and I highly recommend them, because there are some places where it is rocky. I also recommend doing the river in the morning. When it gets crowded you have people kicking, and running into each other.

The snorkel gear for rent was $ 10.00 per person for mask, snorkel, and fins. I enjoyed it, there was a lot of underwater fish and coral to look at. But the snorkel bay was kind of small, I would have liked to have more room to swim.

Archived