Dulles "Park and Fly?"

Ships R Great

I moved from Herndon, VA, which is 6 miles from Dulles Int'l, a little over a year ago after living in the area for 16 years. Got to tell you that I'm not aware of any hotel around there that offers such service. Of course, when we cruised while living there we simply took a cab to the airport so that wasn't an issue. The thing I'd worry about is that most of the hotels have very open parking and I'd be concerned about security. When we did travel and wanted a car at the airport we parked in the airports long term parking but it's not cheap...at least I didn't think it was....at about $7/day.

Rich - That's a good site. Because I'm familiar with the area I went ahead and ran a search for Dulles. The hotels that come up are all within easy distance of Dulles and that's the good news. The bad news, unless they've updated their facilities in the past year, is that none of them have secured parking. By secure parking I mean controlled access. Secondly, and again a call to the hotels in question could answer this, I only remember one of them having covered parking. I don't know when Ships R Great is cruising but covered parking during the winter in the DC area could be an issue. My last full winter we got 44" of snow in a week or so. Granted that was a bit abnormal but you may not want to leave your car outside in an open parking lot under those conditions.

Thanks, everyone. We live only about 25 miles from Dulles, but we wanted to avoid asking our daughter to drive us to the airport and pick us up, since she has small children. We are sailing in Feb. and there can be a lot of snow then. We would not want to leave our car in an outside lot for that long. We'll just hope the weather is not too bad.

Archived