RCI vs Princess dilemna

HMSDingy

We have decided to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary in Europe on a 12 day cruise in the Med onboard either the Brilliance of the Seas or the Ruby Princess. Let me state that we have sailed the sister ships of both of these vessels and know what to expect. We are sailing out of Montreal and our TA has given us prices for both ships in August. We got a heck of a price for the Brilliance leaving Aug 26 for roughly $2000 lest than the Ruby leaving Aug. 20th. There is also a considerable savings if we were to sail the Brilliance on Aug 2nd as opposed to the Ruby on August 8th. I know some will say that its a no brainer and go for the savings but we've never done a Med cruise and want to choose the best.

Help!:confused:

I looked at the itineraries. It really would depend but $2,000 is a lot of savings. The Ruby Princess itineraries have more ports in Greece and Turkey if that is what you want to see but I feel that Brilliance's port times are slightly better in some ports like Cannes. Also Brilliance actually spends a full day in Venice including the overnight (arriving early afternoon and leaving midafternoon the next day), but the Ruby's itineraries either have you board the ship one day and leave early the next morning or arrive late at night and disembark the next morning, so not much free time in Venice itself. Brilliance also has more seadays than Ruby Princess so if you like seadays or want downtime that would be a positive.

I love Brilliance and have heard really positive things about Ruby Princess so definitely think you can't go wrong with either ship.

If I'm spending the time and money to go to Europe then I would choose the the cruise by itinerary and not ship. Which ever itinerary suits you more is the one that I would go with. I personally love the overnight in Venice. That alone would make the choice for me.

Both cruises actually overnight in Venice. It's just that Brilliance begins in Barcelona and gets to Venice at 1 in the afternoon and doesn't leave until 3pm the next day. The Ruby itineraries either begin in Venice and leave at 8am the next morning or end in Venice getting there at 10pm at night and disembarking early the next morning. So if the OP has time to add a pre or post cruise stay in Venice they could get some extra time in Venice, otherwise they really won't have any touring time at all.

We just made a similar decision and based it on the ports and the time spent in what mattered most to us. I love both lines and especially loved the Crown Princess last year. We just booked the Navigator to Med for September (can only go for 8 days) and based it on the ports. Greece, Italy, rather than Spain, France. You will have a great trip on either of these lines but I prefer Greece. Have a Wonderful Trip and bring lots of Sunscreen for August. :):):)

Having lived in Italy and been in Venice multiple times including August. Venice is packed in August. Europe is on vacation during that time most ports will be extremely crowded.

If you save $2,000 then could you add something either before or avfter the cruise to see more of the things in Europe you want to see?

Having lived in Italy and been in Venice multiple times including August. Venice is packed in August. Europe is on vacation during that time most ports will be extremely crowded.

If you save $2,000 then could you add something either before or avfter the cruise to see more of the things in Europe you want to see?

I was just going to say........Europeans vacation in August!! Every vacation area.......which are most of the port cities.......are crowded.

And whoever said that RCL is nickel and diming you to death (extra charges) vs Princess..........both lines are very competitive, and I would make my decision based on itinerary, and time spent in the ports.

Venice is extremly crowded in August..........and normally it's HOT!

Rick

Thanks for sharing your insights. We are looking at the Brilliance for July 2010. I hope she is still on that itin during 2010. We hope to be able to book while on our Mariner cruise in April. I hope the summer 2010 itins are out by then. We actually booked our AK Serenade just so we could check out a Radiance class ship so we know what to expect in the Med. :D

Yes, we based our decision for September in Med based on the weather changes and vacationing crowds in August. We have family in Italy and they told us what is being said here on the boards that August is VERY HOT and the crowds are tremendous. Crowds die down in late August and the weather shifts to cooler climate. Thanks for all the information on this board

Archived