Is the food special on formal night?

Denis54

I know people do not like the way cruising is getting less formal, but that is just the way things are changing. This is especially true in Florida where many cruisers live. Unlike the North very few restaurants in Florida require a jacket.

I think the question is WHY are things changing? I think it's because many in our society have become lazy and sloppy. Oh, and by the way, I think saying that "many" cruisers live in FL is an overstatement. For sure, FL is a common residence but many implies far more than the actuality.

I think the question is WHY are things changing? I think it's because many in our society have become lazy and sloppy. Oh' date=' and by the way, I think saying that "many" cruisers live in FL is an overstatement. For sure, FL is a common residence but many implies far more than the actuality.[/quote']

I think the guys are tired of playing dress up for the gals. But regardless of why you are going to see more and more informally dressed cruisers. I think they are tired of being banished to the buffet.

As long as I am neat they always seat me in the MDR without a jacket and tie.

I think the question is WHY are things changing? I think it's because many in our society have become lazy and sloppy. Oh' date=' and by the way, I think saying that "many" cruisers live in FL is an overstatement. For sure, FL is a common residence but many implies far more than the actuality.[/quote']

No one is asking you to be part of the sloppy society. Think of how you'll stand out among all the casual dressers & make yourself feel good about your attire. It might even get you better service being dressed that way.

I don't think society is getting "sloppy" (Americans in general have always dressed more for comfort rather than style compared to Europe). The change is because more "sloppy" people are now able to afford a cruise because of lines like Carnival. If you were on a Princess cruise 10 years ago you rarely saw anyone without a suit and more people had tuxedos. I'm a younger cruiser and I would never wear the tux, but whenever someone shows up to the formal dinner a w/sleveless shirt and shorts they 1) look stupid and 2) show a lack of class.

Everyone has the ability to dress the way they want, it just says something about level of class compared to other guests.

Just my humble opinion. :)

I don't think society is getting "sloppy" (Americans in general have always dressed more for comfort rather than style compared to Europe). The change is because more "sloppy" people are now able to afford a cruise because of lines like Carnival. If you were on a Princess cruise 10 years ago you rarely saw anyone without a suit and more people had tuxedos. I'm a younger cruiser and I would never wear the tux, but whenever someone shows up to the formal dinner a w/sleveless shirt and shorts they 1) look stupid and 2) show a lack of class.

Everyone has the ability to dress the way they want, it just says something about level of class compared to other guests.

I will have to say that no one shows up at a formal night aboard Princess with a sleeveless shirt & shorts. You may have seen that on a Carnival cruise, but not Princess.

I will have to say that no one shows up at a formal night aboard Princess with a sleeveless shirt & shorts. You may have seen that on a Carnival cruise, but not Princess.

Ha! I've actually got a picture in my on-line photos entitled, "Look at this fool" lol. The photo is of the husband and wife dressed that way and everyone else around them in a suit/tux

Or maybe some people just perceive vacations and cruising as a more relaxed setting.

Ha! I've actually got a picture in my on-line photos entitled, "Look at this fool" lol. The photo is of the husband and wife dressed that way and everyone else around them in a suit/tux

In that case I can fully agree with the Maitre D not seating them.

Change in dress is an evolutionary process. It just happens. Look at pictures of sporting events from the 40's in which men wore suits and ties. Look at airplane travel in the 50's in which everyone dressed up. It was not that long ago that a seven night cruise included two formal nights, two informal nights and only three casual nights. While I know that many like dressing up for others it is a pain. My DW just hates the thought of trying to figure out what to wear on formal evenings. When I retired, I vowed not to wear a tie again except for funerals and weddings. So now when we cruise we chose to spend the formal evenings at the buffet. We are comfortable doing this and don't have to worry about the fashion police staring at us in the dining rooms. We found this to be the best compromise.

I always thought it would be an interesting experiment for Princess to set aside one of their anytime dining rooms to be a casual dress option on formal nights. How many would chose that option and not dress up. For us the wonderful part of cruising is the relaxation, the itineraries, the interesting people and the sea breeze. We never considered dressing up as part of the cruise experience, but we understand that some look forward to this. To each his own. We appreciate the fact that Princess has enough options that those of us who do not want to dress up, do not have to.

Finally, I just have to say I don't understand why some get so upset when this topic comes up on this board. Not everyone has read every post and some are new to this board. I see other topics come up over and over again with no one getting upset about it. But let this topic or the smoking topic come up and there are always those who comment: "not this topic again." I figure if someone doesn't like a topic, it is very easy to just go on to the next post.

Change in dress is an evolutionary process. It just happens. Look at pictures of sporting events from the 40's in which men wore suits and ties. Look at airplane travel in the 50's in which everyone dressed up. It was not that long ago that a seven night cruise included two formal nights, two informal nights and only three casual nights. While I know that many like dressing up for others it is a pain. My DW just hates the thought of trying to figure out what to wear on formal evenings. When I retired, I vowed not to wear a tie again except for funerals and weddings. So now when we cruise we chose to spend the formal evenings at the buffet. We are comfortable doing this and don't have to worry about the fashion police staring at us in the dining rooms. We found this to be the best compromise.

I always thought it would be an interesting experiment for Princess to set aside one of their anytime dining rooms to be a casual dress option on formal nights. How many would chose that option and not dress up. For us the wonderful part of cruising is the relaxation, the itineraries, the interesting people and the sea breeze. We never considered dressing up as part of the cruise experience, but we understand that some look forward to this. To each his own. We appreciate the fact that Princess has enough options that those of us who do not want to dress up, do not have to.

Finally, I just have to say I don't understand why some get so upset when this topic comes up on this board. Not everyone has read every post and some are new to this board. I see other topics come up over and over again with no one getting upset about it. But let this topic or the smoking topic come up and there are always those who comment: "not this topic again." I figure if someone doesn't like a topic, it is very easy to just go on to the next post.

Good commentary

But you really should just go to the MDR on formal night. Princess staff will greet you warmly and treat you well as you deserve. I would not let the dress up crowd dictate my behavior.

I have suggested the same thing many times & very few people seem to agree it being a option. Their response has always been "you have a option- go to the buffet". We all know that the buffet doesn't always have the same selection or is prepared in the same fashion. It's a shame that you let their opinions force you to the buffet, especially on a formal evening.

So the way it stands we'll just have to dine with the formalists who get upset with our relaxed standards. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if they wish to dress formally & I don't hold it against them.

We are getting ready for our first Princess Cruise.

On all our other cruises, I usually wear a Jacket with a banded collar shirt...it looks nice and no need for a tie.

I've seen some go with a bolo type.......sort of a western look.

Or just a nice shirt and tie....

Just look decent........no cut off's and flip flops, halter tops, please.

It's just 2 nights out of 7 and a lot of people like the idea of feeling special a couple nights during their cruise. A chance to dress up..get their pictures taken..that most of them don't do at home often and kick things up a notch for the night.

Good point here - I don't think it is an issue of "getting upset" about a specific post (for me)...I think it is an issue of people needing to learn how to use the search functationlity. These things have been discussed twice a week for the last year...

Makes sense to 'moi'! :)

We are getting ready for our first Princess Cruise.

On all our other cruises, I usually wear a Jacket with a banded collar shirt...it looks nice and no need for a tie.

I've seen some go with a bolo type.......sort of a western look.

Or just a nice shirt and tie....

Just look decent........no cut off's and flip flops, halter tops, please.

It's just 2 nights out of 7 and a lot of people like the idea of feeling special a couple nights during their cruise. A chance to dress up..get their pictures taken..that most of them don't do at home often and kick things up a notch for the night.

So u say we can bend or even break some of the rules then? However, I see u do make a provisio...so u don't condone totally breaking the rules & allowing cutoffs, shorts etc. My question then when is it acceptable - when 10% agree, 40% - 60% - 90%?

I believe u wld agree that if there were no rules - chaos wld be evident and quickly - u might even see nudity in the dining room - silly - maybe - but remember 40 yrs ago so wld being in the dr without a jacket & tie as a minimum so we must all conclude that by relaxing the rules we open the door to 'anything'!

We have over the yrs because I have seen a gentlemans? bare legs in short-shorts & sandles w/ short sleeved open neck shirt on another cruise plus a lady? in cutoffs but not torn at least :), low cut T-shirt & 'flip flops' (her male companion wasn't much better either) on FORMAL NITES in a dr lately on different cruiselines...!! I have cruised for 30 yrs usually twice a yr or more so can attest to the changes...

I can see it getting worse because we are not demanding what remains of the standards be enforced and cruiselines are so desperate now for pax they will allow almost anything..

SO those 'casual' types shld be in delighted - u 'win' - at least until the pendulum swings the other way again and it will!!!! But that is another topic...

Have happy cruisin'!

Good point here - I don't think it is an issue of "getting upset" about a specific post (for me)...I think it is an issue of people needing to learn how to use the search functationlity. These things have been discussed twice a week for the last year...

Most posts are repetitive in nature on most threads. If you discontinued repetitive posts the cc board like most boards would die.

Good commentary

But you really should just go to the MDR on formal night. Princess staff will greet you warmly and treat you well as you deserve. I would not let the dress up crowd dictate my behavior.

Let the dress down crowd dictate your behaviour instead.

So u say we can bend or even break some of the rules then? However, I see u do make a provisio...so u don't condone totally breaking the rules & allowing cutoffs, shorts etc. My question then when is it acceptable - when 10% agree, 40% - 60% - 90%?

I believe u wld agree that if there were no rules - chaos wld be evident and quickly - u might even see nudity in the dining room - silly - maybe - but remember 40 yrs ago so wld being in the dr without a jacket & tie as a minimum so we must all conclude that by relaxing the rules we open the door to 'anything'!

We have over the yrs because I have seen a gentlemans? bare legs in short-shorts & sandles w/ short sleeved open neck shirt on another cruise plus a lady? in cutoffs but not torn at least :), low cut T-shirt & 'flip flops' (her male companion wasn't much better either) on FORMAL NITES in a dr lately on different cruiselines...!! I have cruised for 30 yrs usually twice a yr or more so can attest to the changes...

I can see it getting worse because we are not demanding what remains of the standards be enforced and cruiselines are so desperate now for pax they will allow almost anything..

SO those 'casual' types shld be in delighted - u 'win' - at least until the pendulum swings the other way again and it will!!!! But that is another topic...

Have happy cruisin'!

"getting worse" is a matter of perspective. I see it as getting much better;)

Most posts are repetitive in nature on most threads. If you discontinued repetitive posts the cc board like most boards would die.

You are so right here. I joined a health chat because I had just been diagnosed with a thyroid problem and ask a couple of questions and was told to do a search on the questions I asked. The "gentleman" said that those questions had been ask to death already.

But everyone is so kind and repeats the answers over and over for the newbies on here. It's so wonderful the way everyone is willing to help, no matter how many times the question is asked.

The only problem with this group is when questions on smoking, dress code and food are asked. Everyone has an opinion and EVERYONE knows they are right on their answers............

But, I just want to thank everyone for all their wonderful help and repeated answers to repeated questions. You guys are the best.

Now, I just have one question......Can I go to dinner on formal night in my daisy dukes, smoking my cigs, even though I know the Lobster is going to be horrible??? I know I can, but just wanted your opinion...............:D:D:D

Just take the Princess Contract with you and if asked just say the "contract" does not say anything about this. (This is a swipe at those who say the because the "contract" does not limit the number of bottles of wine one can take, there is no limit.)

Can I go to dinner on formal night in my daisy dukes, smoking my cigs,

:D:D:D

DH does not think dressing up is part of the cruise experience either. You should come to the MDR on formal night. Forget what people say here. Princess will greet you and treat you wonderfully as you deserve.

You paid for the better service and better food and from what I read you deserve it more than most. Do not let yourself be intimidated.

Archived