Ventura`s caribbean cruise 2009

honeymooner2009

Hi Rick,noticed and read with interest your tips for the barbados flights.My fiancee and i are on the christmas caribbean cruise this year as our honeymoon.I was just wondering about your comment of booking the flight seats when you book the cruise ?.We booked the cruise {n929a] last august when we got home from our cruise round the med last year on the norwegian jade,and the travel agents didn`t have any flight info,times etc :confused: .Do you know how long [usually] before the cruise this info becomes available ?.We`re flying from birmingham on the sat morn [19th] and would like to take as much advantage of getting some decent seats [who would`nt :p ].Any info you may have would be appreciated thankyou .

Regards , Mark & Dawn

Hi

I believe its a matter of contacting P and O. If I remember correctly,

if you or your agent phone them, there's an option to speak to someone about flights. Do not wait until the flight info becomes

available- it will be too late then!!- we just booked on the Artemis for March 2010 flying to Barbados and even though the flight info was not available, our travel agent was able to try and get us premium seats but they had already all gone!!!!!!!! The agent said that she will keep trying for us- especially when it comes to the time when people have to pay the balance- people then drop out and some premium seats may then become available. Make your agent work for their commission!!! I understand its some £99 each way = £198 each person.

Take ear plugs and sleep on the plane!!!

I have loads of really good earplug but it does not matter which ones I use sleep in econ is impossible. I am a nervous flyer and that coupled with being sat up means no matter how tired I am I cannot sleep.

I have some strong sleeping tablets I bought in the US when I was there previously but I don't really want to take them as I am worried about side effects.

Chris

As of today 15th feb the flights from birmingham are still none existent i;e P&O have still no information for this flight if you wanted to book seats departure times etc .Also, our T/A has spoken to P&O and a flight upgrade isn`t possible from birmingham,only on the heathrow flights.

As of today 15th feb the flights from birmingham are still none existent i;e P&O have still no information for this flight if you wanted to book seats departure times etc .Also, our T/A has spoken to P&O and a flight upgrade isn`t possible from birmingham,only on the heathrow flights.

Hi, I take it it is for the december 2009 cruise? P and O won't post any times till people have paid the balance in full so they can then arrange the planes as required. It will be either Thompson or Thomas Cook they do not use generally BA or any other airlines unless the airlines have normal routes ie from heathrow.

You can't book seats on these aircraft it is on a first come first served basis and generally the same seat out and same seat back affair. We went on a cruise in November last year and it was till around august at the earliest that we found the flights where posted.

HTH

Huw

Information about flights.........

Flight details will be on your Cruise Personaliser 28 days before the date you fly. However, most TA's get the details of flight number and time about 3-4 months prior to the cruise - my TA sent me a letter with the details well before Christmas and I don't fly until March 21st.

You can book premium economy seats if there are any available but they are not guaranteed - some people recently wrote on another site that they had the plane changed and the one used had no premium economy cabin so all passengers were treated the same.

You cannot pre-book seats on your flight - even if the check in staff tell you you can - if you try to do it then it takes you so far through the booking process and then you get an error message.

If you ring P&O about pre-booking seats they will tell you that the staff at the airport allocate the seats and if you ask at the airport they will say it is P&O who do it - no-one seems to want to take the responsibility for this decision. Whatever the real situation no matter how early you get to the airport your seats are pre-determined. Unless you have an injury or disability that prevents you from being able to sit in the emergency exit seats.

Even if you book and get premium economy seats there is no guarantee that your party will all be sat together.

I am fairly lucky - I am travelling alone so don't need to worry about being sat with a specific group of people - I will simply go from my hotel room to check in and then go back to the hotel for breakfast before making my way through security and to departures to meet others who are on my cruise.

Feebee_71 :)

no matter how early you get to the airport your seats are pre-determined

Right this is getting very confusing.

Does anyone know what the score is with the above?

Were flying from Birmingham with Thompson the flight is 9.15am to barbados on 28t Feb 09 (so less than 2 weeks)

Out TA told us to turn up 4 hours before the flight so we get seats together.

This means turning up to the airport at 5.15am. I am working until 2am the night before and will have to leave my house at 4.30am to get to the airport.

If I kill myself to get to the airport for 5.15 and find out I cannot sit next to my partner on the aircraft I am not going to be a happy bunny.

Does anyone one really know a definative answer the the above or should I phone P&O.

Chris

Right this is getting very confusing.

Does anyone know what the score is with the above?

Were flying from Birmingham with Thompson the flight is 9.15am to barbados on 28t Feb 09 (so less than 2 weeks)

Out TA told us to turn up 4 hours before the flight so we get seats together.

This means turning up to the airport at 5.15am. I am working until 2am the night before and will have to leave my house at 4.30am to get to the airport.

If I kill myself to get to the airport for 5.15 and find out I cannot sit next to my partner on the aircraft I am not going to be a happy bunny.

Does anyone one really know a definative answer the the above or should I phone P&O.

Chris

as the aircraft is seated 2 - 3 - 2 i very much doubt that you won't be sat next to your other half!! the only way that would happen if you're one of the last to check in....

don't worry mate....use that 'inside' info i gave you too....

I have just spoken to P&O and they have told me the seats are allocated on arrival at the airport.

So it looks like no sleep for me, or I will have to take some sleeping tablets on the plane and see if they work, I have never tried it before but I have some unisom from the US which aparently work very well.

Chris

Hi

So will our Thomson seat configuration be 2-3-2 out of Manchester to Barbados?

I tried to find Thomson Fly on Seat guru but it isn't listed.

What type of craft is it? 737?

Do you know how strict they will be with the luggage allowance of the 23kg?

Will they allow a surcharge if it is over?

many thanks for all the tips I have seen on this thread.

We are hoping we have made a good choice with this cruise despite all the reviews since Christmas.

Do you know how strict they will be with the luggage allowance of the 23kg?

Will they allow a surcharge if it is over?

We saw many people having to repack/leave stuff, they will not surcharge or allow you extra weight so be careful! TBH we packed 23KG each of stuff probably only ever wore 12KG of it which was swim shorts and a tshirt every single day.

Huw

We saw many people having to repack/leave stuff, they will not surcharge or allow you extra weight so be careful! TBH we packed 23KG each of stuff probably only ever wore 12KG of it which was swim shorts and a tshirt every single day.

Huw

i can vouch for this as i saw the 'fishing-scales' he used to weigh his bags...

top tip.....watch the wife when she packs her shoes! she will never need that many!!!!

Be aware you may not be on a Thomson plane even if your flight is a 'tom' number---it can be a First choice plane with a different seating configuration !

not the end of the world as IMO the first choice a/c have more comfy (leather-ish) seats and more leg room!!

but the config can cause problems when returning home as cruise passengers get used to 'same seat' policy..

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/First%20Choice%20Airways-history-b767.htm

shows you that apart from the a/c going to aeroflot, 1st choice have 6 B767's, and they are made up of 4 different variants.. so a different a/c coming to pick you up is likely..with the added seating changes!!

Hi

So will our Thomson seat configuration be 2-3-2 out of Manchester to Barbados?

I tried to find Thomson Fly on Seat guru but it isn't listed.

What type of craft is it? 737?

We are hoping we have made a good choice with this cruise despite all the reviews since Christmas.

the a/c will almost certainly be a B767 .... and yes will be 2-3-2 .. piddly little B737's would need an island in the middle of the atlantic to refuel!

if you're a family of 4.. get 2 behind 2 .. that way you can stick the kids together and let them stare out of the window for 7 hours whilst ma 'n' pa chill out with a drink or two....

seat guru only does 'schedule airlines' as a rule.... not charter!

all cruise ships have 'problems' from time to time..... the ship is huge and you can easily lose said problems IF they are on the ship!! i've found that people go looking for problems...ie .. get in a state at the airport, then nothing settles them from that point onwards! they only find fault...

it's YOUR holiday, that YOU worked for, paid for with YOUR money.. so why let someone else ruin it, or for that matter someone on here put you off!...

enjoy it..... generally speaking, people normally do!

Many thanks for your advice

We are very much going on this cruise with an open mind - as we do all our holidays but we have really liked the Celebrity cruises we have done and the only previous one with P&O was on Oceana which we felt fell short in the areas of service and friendliness. This one caught our eye as it was a new ship with an itinerary that we wanted to do, the price was right and so we thought it was time to give P&O another try.

We are so ready for this break, and we are determinbed to have agreat time - no matter what. We are a large group made up of 2 families and some friends numbering about 18 in all so we should have a ball!

Its less than a week away now and I am already sooo excited - I am already on my way!!

By the way do you live in Sale?

We flew from Manchester to Barbados on Saturday 31st Jan to join Ventura. We flew out on flight TOM221 in a First Choice 767 with 2-3-2 seating. When we dropped off the car at the APH car park, we were asked what flight we were returning on. We told them TOM222, due to land at 0430 on Sunday 15th Feb. The chap behind the desk looked at a notebook and shook his head. He advised that this flight was never on time.

We were due to leave the ship at 1330 local time on the Sunday afternoon, but were advised that the TOM222 Manchester flight had a three hour delay and the Gatwick flight was delayed till the following day. We eventually took off 4 hours late in a Thompson 767 with a 2-4-2 seating pattern. This resulted in a lot of seat number changes (we had been given boarding cards with seat numbers on the night previous). Those who had paid extra to travel in First Class were most inconvenienced. The Thompson plane's first class cabin was only half the size of that on the First Choice plane, meaning that many of those who had paid extra were forced to travel in standard class. They were offered a £10 voucher (to spend on the plane) in the way of recompense. This did not go down well and the head steward had to broadcast an announcement asking the passengers not to abuse his staff since the problem was not their fault.

I must say that I found the seats on both aircraft to be very comfortable and the legroom surprisingly generous. Having been forewarned that this flight was prone to delays, we we not surprised and the delay certainly did not spoil our holiday.

We flew from Manchester to Barbados on Saturday 31st Jan to join Ventura. We flew out on flight TOM221 in a First Choice 767 with 2-3-2 seating. When we dropped off the car at the APH car park, we were asked what flight we were returning on. We told them TOM222, due to land at 0430 on Sunday 15th Feb. The chap behind the desk looked at a notebook and shook his head. He advised that this flight was never on time.

We were due to leave the ship at 1330 local time on the Sunday afternoon, but were advised that the TOM222 Manchester flight had a three hour delay and the Gatwick flight was delayed till the following day. We eventually took off 4 hours late in a Thompson 767 with a 2-4-2 seating pattern. This resulted in a lot of seat number changes (we had been given boarding cards with seat numbers on the night previous). Those who had paid extra to travel in First Class were most inconvenienced. The Thompson plane's first class cabin was only half the size of that on the First Choice plane, meaning that many of those who had paid extra were forced to travel in standard class. They were offered a £10 voucher (to spend on the plane) in the way of recompense. This did not go down well and the head steward had to broadcast an announcement asking the passengers not to abuse his staff since the problem was not their fault.

I must say that I found the seats on both aircraft to be very comfortable and the legroom surprisingly generous. Having been forewarned that this flight was prone to delays, we we not surprised and the delay certainly did not spoil our holiday.

an excellent post there my friend......

it seems that the contract that P&O have with Thompson is causing a few 'regular' problems due the a/c fleet they have inherited... but your comment about extra legroom is due to the contract they all signed this year for cruise flights needing extra leg room....we did a thomas cook A330 to new orleans in 2007 and back from barbados... great a/c but poor legroom... i believe they have removed several rows for this season!!

like you say it's hardly the end of the world... although i would be miffed if i'd paid for pre-econ, but i never will do!! a few extra drinks and the daily mail aren't worth that expense!!!

yep!!

where in cheshire are you?? the group of 18 sounds fantastic!

We are not really in Cheshire, we used to live in Lancashire which I liked but now we live in Greater Manchester which I don't like so as we actually live so close to the Cheshire boundary I have adopted the address (except with Royal Mail of course)

We live on the edge of Leigh quite close to Glazebury and Culcheth and can be in Lowton and Warrington in minutes.

I have worked in Cheshire for many years and my office was in Knutsford and then Northwich.

Huw

Hi

I popped into our TA yesterday to ask if we could pay surcharge on overweight luggage and they said yes. I am worried though in case this is not so. Would the airport tell us if we can pay extra?

Huw

Huw,

You are so right.

We had 39kg in two cases, ie. 6 kg less than we could have had and still came home with half a case of clean clothes.

In the Caribbean you need swim wear, max 2 pr shorts, Half as many T shirts as you think and 6 to 10 shirts. You can buy local shirts, which weigh nothing for 10 to 20 $ I will now take all 6 'loud shirts' next time, great for casual nights.

Also 2/3 lightweight trousers. Finaly a dinner suit.

Now that is us sorted on to the hard part:(:eek::mad:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Hi

I popped into our TA yesterday to ask if we could pay surcharge on overweight luggage and they said yes. I am worried though in case this is not so. Would the airport tell us if we can pay extra?

aren't you a group of 18 tho?? if you're all one the same plane, check in together....you'll find you're less likely to be checked.... thats what i do on our works jollies... we all check in together and never been stopped, even though a number have been over!!

also, don't forget each airline will have slighty different rules... 'chyanmor' was on a thomas cook a/c and they were obviously strict! first choice (aka thompson) told my wife when she commented on how border line we were, that they don't bother with cruise flights as long as you're not mega over weight!!!!

it's a chance you have to take, but bearing in mind what Dai said... you don't really need as much as you think you will... and as far as extra's like formal wear goes....why bother taking 4 shirts (hubby obviously!) when you can get it laundered or do it yourself, i had my jct/trs pressed after each night...£3 or so if i remember correctly! and it came back the same day! i think to launder and press a full DJ was £7 or so.. so a few casual shirts aren't gonna break the bank are they???? we use our OBC kitty to pay for these kinda things as we're not one for 'company run' excursions!!! .... even more so for daily t-shirt wear etc... remembering also that once that bag is checked in, weight then is no concern of yours as they pick them back up from outside your room on the way back!!!! and i know someone who was 7kg's over on the way out, and even more coming home!!!!!

just cut down on the shoes ladies and you'll make tons of room!! isn't that right Mrs 'chyanmor'???

Archived