Trip Insurance: Cruise Lines or ????

CondoDiva

Do you use the cruiseline insurance or insurance through a separate website like insure my trip dot com.

I have always used the cruiselines insurance but I thought I would try a separate company and found a very large difference $$$ (In favor of the separate company) sort of makes me wary?

Anyone with any advice??

Thanks!!:)

We have always gotten insurance through an outside source because we can get coverage for more than just the price of the cruise. The insurance we've gotten covered delayed flights, lost luggage, medical coverage and evac coverage. Insuremytrip.com is a good place to compare coverages and prices.

An earlier thread posted this article. Click on all the links to get some great info. I used insuremytrip.com to compare plans. Things I looked for were:

Pre-existing condition coverage

Primary Medical Coverage

Enough Medical to cover evacuation if necessary

Here is the link:

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/how-to-avoid-travel-insurance-gotchas.html?id=2805699&source=dealalert&value=2009-01-15+00%3A00%3A00&u=371F2D8DD1

I also posted this article on the Alaska board. There was a very good comment from someone who had to use their insurance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=907740

The cost of the cruiseline insurance is not based on age; the insurance that I have purchased through insuremytrip is based in part on age. Depending on one's age, the cruiseline insurance might be less expensive (but might not provide as much coverage as you could purchase elsewhere).

First, it is always wise to purchase 'third party' insurance rather than cruise line insurance. Third party insurance means that the company providing the insurance has no interest in the covergae other than claims being legitimate and supportable. The cruise line on the other hand has a economic interest in the outcome.

That said, 'you are right 'third party' insurance can, and most often is more expensive but it also normally provides much broader and deeper coverage that will benefit you alone.

Others here have advised looking around at a number of insurers to see what they offer for what price and what they cover. Insurance is very personal....you have to make sure it covers those issues that are most important and necessary to you.

One thing is for sure....never cruise without insurance!

My 1 piece of advice is to FULLY READ & UNDERSTAND before you buy. How many cruises have you taken & just signed (& paid for) the cruiseline's "insurance," not really knowing what you just agreed to? We did a few & given my background, I know better. :o

Check out insuremytrip as well as the sites mentioned on the other threads. Most insurance carriers require that you purchase your coverage within x number of days of deposit. Almost ALL can & will exclude for pre-existing conditions if you don't take the coverage within those time limits (read very carefully). Many folks think they don't HAVE any pre-ex, but if you take ANY type of Rx med, THAT's a pre-ex.

There are a couple of carriers that permit you to purchase insurance up until you make final payment & still provide coverage for pre-ex. That's my preference. Right now, we're only on the hook for the $100/pp deposit we put down while onboard last summer, so why buy insurance now? Also, we don't know what airfare is going to cost, so don't know how much coverage we'll actually need for total trip cost. But that's just my preference.

There's no 1 BEST carrier or plan. Since every cruiser's situation is unique, the best for that person is the one that fits them & their budget. Just be sure to read everything. If you don't understand, send an e-mail to the company or website. Or call. The agents will be happy to assist you. Just be sure to do everything within the prescribed time limits. There likely won't be exceptions.

Like Susan, purchasing insurance through the Line when I place my booking 12-18 months prior to departure doesn't make sense for me when I'm making a mere $100 deposit - especially considering there would be no coverage for the airfare, hotels, etc. that I procure on my own...

My TA provides me w/ a policy that covers all that other stuff and isn't payable until I make my final payment, which is the point at which I have significant monetary risk - plus I'll have her on my side if and when I'll ever need to make a claim against that policy.

In addition, I now pay for all of my travel arrangements with a credit card that also provides supplemental travel coverage.

Archived