Just back from Independence Any ?'s

Just got back home from 1/10/09 sailing. Had a great time. Ship is beautiful and Big. Food in main dinig room was as good as if not better than any lines main dinging room. Service was exceptional. Had a problem at Portifino's, but after writing a complaint on the "How are we doing so far" comment card, the situation was resolved more than adequately.

Keith

1.Could you please verify what nights were formal in the dining room? 2. How was Portifino's?

3. Did they serve lobster tails? Seconds?

4. Did they serve "Bud Light Lime" beer

We sail in March

Thanks

Rob

1.Could you please verify what nights were formal in the dining room? 2. How was Portifino's?

We sail in March

Thanks

Rob

1. I have read they are Mon. and Thurs.

3. I read they do on Fri. and you can have 10 if you want.

4. Don't know.

Donna (I said on Mar. 1)

We sail in March

Thanks

Rob

On the six night itinerary, formal nights were on Monday and Thursday

They have lobster tail along with a few shrimp on the "fisherman's platter" on one of the formal nights, but the tails were so small that our waiter automatically brought us extras. For all the fuss people make over lobster onboard, the quality of the small frozen lobster tails when prepared for thousands is not that great. Many of the other entrees we had were much better.

Don't know about Bud Lite Lime, but they had a nice selection of imports.

Enjoy!!! Check out Adriane, the bartender at Baleros - the best bartender onboard!

We sail in March

Thanks

Rob

1. Fomal nights are nights 2 and 5.

2. Portifino's was VERY disappointing. Service was not good except for the asst waiter. Appts were fair, Soups very good, ceaser salad same as MDR, entree mediocre, Tira Misu dessert the best we've every had.

3. Lobster was the 6th night not the 2nd formal night. Seconds yes.

4. Not a beer drinker but did not see anyone drinking one.

Sorry for the late reply but had to get caught up on work.

Keith

Did you buy chance purchase any bottled water on the ship, how much do they charge?

You may be better off just bringing a bottle on board and filling it up in your cabin etc. The water they have is way purified I've heard and tastes good. Otherwise, if I remember correctly, the bottled water when I was on the Mariner last year was like 3-4 dollars

Did you buy chance purchase any bottled water on the ship, how much do they charge?

Just got off 1/18...water was $3.50 a bottle, they may even offer packages. Something new.

Also, on the 8 night trip, lobster is not served on the second formal night, they serve the usual formal menu the next day, Friday, which is Labadee. We made Chop's reservations for Friday night since we figured we'd have lobster on the Thursday formal night. Oh well, no biggie. BTW, the food at Chop's was outstanding. Trip was great, ship is beautiful.

Didn't see Bud Lime either, they only sell the large 16oz aluminum bottles for the Bud product's. All the other's are in the 12oz cans, except Foster's of course.

Just got back home from 1/10/09 sailing. Had a great time. Ship is beautiful and Big. Food in main dinig room was as good as if not better than any lines main dinging room. Service was exceptional. Had a problem at Portifino's, but after writing a complaint on the "How are we doing so far" comment card, the situation was resolved more than adequately.

Keith

Was this water in Portifinos a guy from South Africa that like to talk down to you?

I was there in November and will be back next week. Do you think the problem of service and food has been resolved?

Thank you for any other information you can give.

Just got off 1/18...water was $3.50 a bottle, they may even offer packages. Something new.

Also, on the 8 night trip, lobster is not served on the second formal night, they serve the usual formal menu the next day, Friday, which is Labadee. We made Chop's reservations for Friday night since we figured we'd have lobster on the Thursday formal night. Oh well, no biggie. BTW, the food at Chop's was outstanding. Trip was great, ship is beautiful.

Didn't see Bud Lime either, they only sell the large 16oz aluminum bottles for the Bud product's. All the other's are in the 12oz cans, except Foster's of course.

you dont happen to have those menus do you? What was served on Labadee night?

They had small 16.9 oz bottles of water for $1.95 & twice as big (don't know the ozs) for $3.95. I mostly saw them being sold as you get off in port. We took our own bottled water but ran out and refilled them as necessary. The ship's water is fine to drink and takes pretty good!

Is there anyone that has been on the Independence 6 day caribbean cruise? I was curious to know if by any chance that they hosted a Meet & Mingle for you? There is a bunch of us from CC that are sailing on March 15th. I know that they normally only do M&M for 7 day cruises. I recall reading seveal months ago that if the numbers were large enough that they would consider doing one. I can't seem to locate where I read that though.

Would anyone have the email address for the CD or Loyal Ambassador for the Independence?

Another question I have is, what is there to do in Costa Maya? Does anyone recommend anything to do there or beaches to go to?

Thanks

Eric

1. Fomal nights are nights 2 and 5.

2. Portifino's was VERY disappointing. Service was not good except for the asst waiter. Appts were fair, Soups very good, ceaser salad same as MDR, entree mediocre, Tira Misu dessert the best we've every had.

3. Lobster was the 6th night not the 2nd formal night. Seconds yes.

4. Not a beer drinker but did not see anyone drinking one.

Sorry for the late reply but had to get caught up on work.

Keith

We were on the same sailing and loved Portofino's.We had the seafood skewers which were quite tasty. My DH had a side dish of pasta. Service was attentive and could not have asked for more. We were there Thursday night for a 6 PM seating.

We just booked the IOS for 3/29 on the 6 day. We really prefer the smaller ships but it is only 6 days on a cruise ship and I just need to get out of the cold snowy New England weather.

If I am on a cruise I will find the peace and quiet we enjoy. My biggest concerns are getting lost in 6 days I hope I will be able to get to the dinning room without getting lost, that is a BIG ship.

So, 2 formal nights for a 6 day? We are really looking forward to it.

Hi ~ Is there a spa pass for the saunas to purchase or are the sauna rooms open to all? Thanks!

Sauna rooms were open to all on our 1/18/09 sailing. All other spa treatments had to be purchased. They do have a three treatment spa package for $99.

No, Sorry we did the Eastern Carribean.

Keith

The IOS 1/18/09 was Western and included Cozumel. We docked at the International pier next to Grandeur. Two new piers have been builtclose to this area along with two piers to pick up tour passengers. Two Carnival ships were docked at the new large piers. The only ship that was docked downtown was an NCL ship. Cozumel has done a great job with pier building since Wilma took them out in 2007.

Archived