bad reviews on pacific sun

harmony71

Yeah thats fair enough but its like Tiger Airways. People say they would rather save a few dollars and fly Tiger and then they get delayed and complain saying "I will never fly Tiger Airways" etc... Again another reason why I don't book Tiger Airways. Not worth the grief. Might be good most of the time but thats not good enough for myself or my clients. As some of you aware as soon as there are problems the finger usually gets pointed at the TA even when most of the time its out of our control. Those same people will fly Tiger again as well ;)

I've had clients who have had no problems whatsoever on the Sun and had a great experience. Then imagine if I booked a client on the Sun, didn't tell her about the problems which I'm fully aware of and then something happens and they hear its had previous problems ?

It happens in the Travel Industry and its not good sitting on the other side of the fence.

:)

I can understand that.

We have only been on 2 cruises, one with Princess first and then one with P&O (Pacific Dawn) but as newbies, we had no idea what to expect.

The first impressions were vital, but after that, we were impressed with the maintenance, the meals, everything about the Sun Princess.

Had we gone on a run down ship or a ship that had a bad run with breakdowns and missed ports, that could have turned us off cruising for life, I guess.

Our experience on the P&O ship was good, good meals and bigger cabin, but the overall wow factor wasn't as evident.

I can only imagine that is more so on the Pacific Sun.

Probably, if people have done a bit of cruising and go on the Pacific Sun knowing just what to expect and knowing they have a cheap price, then there would be no reason why they wouldn't have a good time.

But if I were an agent, I am not sure it would be the ship I would put newbies on as their first introduction to cruising.

About pricing, has anyone else noticed that some prices have come down dramatically on some cruises? (not necessarily Pac Sun but across the board).

I was offered a Princess cruise, return to NZ for 13 nights, for $999! In a reasonable time of year, too, November!

I've been watching fares for a couple of years now and can't recall them being so cheap. Maybe it is because we have more competition coming into Aust?

• 1 month later...
Thank you for your comments, we are just off the Volendam yesterday a five star ship at three star prices. Pacific Sun a two star ship at five star prices, I would not touch it with a barge pole!

I agree.HAL runs rings around Pacific Sun...as do Princess:)

I wouldn't give the Volendam more than 3 1/2 stars, our toilets stopped working 3 times (not just our cabin) the buffet hours were inconsistent some nights open for 1 1/2 hrs other 2 1/2 hrs, the tables weren't cleared quickly (although I think they have low staff numbers) the kids named the kids club from Club HAL to Club HELL they didn't want to go but on P&O they loved it, we also found the kids club staff very rude and dissinterested. Our sheets were not changed regularly either, we had to ask for soap when we ran out. The majority of the staff were excellent with a few that shouldn't be in that industry. The rest of the HAL fleet might be 5 star but no way the Volendam is.

Been on many cruises and heard lots of complaints, but the "sheets" take the cake, and I can't believe you had to ask for "soap" what an awful cruise you must have had!

I had to ask for soap last week on Pacific Sun...couldn't believe it. $300 a day for the cruise and no soap!!!

$300 a day for the cruise and no soap!!!

You paid $300 per day for a cruise on Pacific Sun?????? :confused: AND you are an "experienced" cruiser???

Barry

That is what it costs for a single cabin, only ocean view available. P&O are not as generous with their single supplements...

That is what it costs for a single cabin, only ocean view available. P&O are not as generous with their single supplements...

OH! Then that is a problem :(

Probably lesson learned for you - but Pac Sun is well known as being the oldest of the P&O fleet , so you probably could have had a better ship in the fleet (Pacific Dawn or Pearl), but not of course in the west.

Barry

Hi all,

Just returned a few weeks ago from our cruise on the Sun and I have to say there wasn't much to complain about. We did the 16 nighter from Freo to Bali, 4 of us in an outside cabin, cost us $4500 with $350 obc. Try getting a family holiday for 16 nights including food and entertainment that's better value than that. Yes, the ship is older than the other 3 but the staff were fantastic and I didn't have to ask for soap once! Our cabin steward was great and we didn't have to ask for anything. Having been on the Dawn twice before, I knew what to expect so I didn't have any high expectations! Infact it was better than I had expected. I think she's good value for money and would sail on her again for the right price.

We have only been on the Pacific Sun once, but we would sail on her again if the price was right - the staff make up for a lot of the downsides, it is still an amazingly cheap holiday.

We were on the Pacific Dawn a couple of weeks ago and I must say that it was the first time in all our cruises that we never tipped our room steward extra. Very disappointed in her all round. So the staff make a huge difference to the cruise experience.

• 1 month later...

I came across this older post while searching for up to date info and reviews on the Pacific Sun (which is hard to get). Our first cruise in 2007 was on this ship pre-makeover and we had the best time due to a lot of factors including: the whole wow factor of cruising, meeting great people on our table of 8, terrific activities and entertainment (cruise director was briiliant funnt man), good food, interesting ports, comfy cabin with big window, troublefree embarking and disembarking, excellent staff. Our addiction to cruising had begun!

We then did three cruises on an American ship, twice on the shame one. First one was great, totally different in all ways to the Sun, think RSL and 4 star hotel.

18 months later, cruise two on same American ship was a total and utter disaster. Vowed never to cruise again

Ended up with credit from the line and this year took what will definitely be our final cruise with this line. We cruised out of and back to Shanghai, minority Caucasian passengers in a ship about 80% mainline Chinese, on a ship of the same vintage as Pacific Sun, Legend of the Seas. This was certainly a different, and difficult cruise, due to major cultural differences, woeful food and woeful activities offered. There are a couple of reviews about this cruise on another board.

So each person's cruise experience can be good or bad, it is variable, but it is important to let people express their positives and negatives.

I would definitely give Pacific Sun another go, and I prefer dealing with P&O Australia!

Archived