A hotel question for our Ft. Lauderdale experts?

FredTracie

Having never been to Fort Lauderdale (or Florida for that matter) we have booked a cruise leaving Miami on March 22.(NCL Pearl) We are arriving pre cruise on March 20th and our Tour company have booked us into the Ramada Hollywood Beach Resort for a total cost of $300 cdn $. We have been watching and listening to more knowledgable members and have found a price of $129 US per night at the Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale. We enjoy strolling the boardwalks and water taxis etc. So your insights would be much appreciated as this will be our 25th anniversary get-away! Should we change hotels?

Thanks Fred & Tracie

We have stayed at the Bahia Mar and enjoyed our stay very much. Right across street from beach with walkway from hotel over the street. A nice pool area and a great location. About a block from the water taxi stop and even shorter walk to the Jungle Queen sightseeing boat. If you are there on Fri-Sun the Sun Trolley stops in front of hotel. Walking distance to several restaurants. There are two buildings, the main or tower building and the older marina building. Rooms in the marina building are advertised as either marina view, which are fine with great views or garden view which actually overlook the parking lot. I have stayed in the marina view rooms and there are four on each floor with balconies so if you are fortunate enough to get one with a balcony its much better. There is a small restaurant in the hotel but not much activity. There is a deli in front of property but was closed when we were in Ft Lauderdale 2 weeks ago. Based on what I know about the Bahia Mar and the price I would change hotels.

Your tour company could've done a lot better for you Fred, especially at that price. Where they've booked you isn't worth 300 Canadian, not even 50 Canadian. For that price you should be in Ft Lauderdales finast hotel, the Lago Mar. Be that as it may the Bahia Mar is ok for a night. Bear in mind, there's no boardwalks in Ft Lauderdale, the sidewalks will have to do (plenty of room for strolling).

/////

Thankyou

We really appreciate your input and look forward to some suggestions, eg: Tracie is a real fan of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Channel.. The question is what are your thoughts for Must- Do's for eating at "Authentic Local" Restaurants.... near the Bahia Mar???

Thanks F&T

Thankyou

We really appreciate your input and look forward to some suggestions, eg: Tracie is a real fan of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Channel.. The question is what are your thoughts for Must- Do's for eating at "Authentic Local" Restaurants.... near the Bahia Mar???

Thanks F&T

That's a great price and a nice hotel in a good location. The Quarterdeck would qualify as a local dive and has good burgers. It's less than a mile north on A1A and then one block west on Las Olas Blvd. Coconuts on the intracoastal is nice AND casual. Oasis has a casual outdoor atmosphere with swing tables, but I haven't tried the food there. Sloppy Joes on the second floor of BeachPlace is a great dive with outdoor beach views. The Bier Garten in an alley by the Courtyard hotel has a great selection of beers and claims to have the best burgers in town, but I haven't tried the food. And check out the patio restaurant at Bahia Cabana, on a marina a few blocks south on A1A.

Thankyou

Thanks F&T

I'm not sure of the distance from the Bahia Mar, but if Tracie saw the Diner's Drive-ins and Dives (we love the show too!!) episode when they were in Pittsburg at Primanti Brothers than you should check out the location in Fort Lauderdale. I know the beach location is not very far (1-2 miles??) from Beach Place etc. http://www.primantibrothers.com/

I didn't realize the Fort Lauderdale location was one in the same as the Pittsburgh until I read it on another thread here.

I am from Canada also and I was booked into the ramada hollywood until I read about it on trip advisor.I went online and booked a 4.5 star in the same area on hotwire for 2 night for about what you paid for 2 nights at the 2 or 2.5 star Ramada hollywood.My TA told me there is a lot of construction going on there also right now. I think you could do a lot better for a hotel on hotwire.

Has anyone stayed at the Springhill Suites by Marriott FLL Airport/Cruiseport? The address is SW 18th Ct., Dania Beach? Is it clean and near any restaurants, and stores to pick up wine and last minute items? Would like to use our Marriott points if we can. We are on the Soltice on 3/22 and will be arriving on 3/21 around 5:30 pm

Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure of the distance from the Bahia Mar, but if Tracie saw the Diner's Drive-ins and Dives (we love the show too!!) episode when they were in Pittsburg at Primanti Brothers than you should check out the location in Fort Lauderdale. I know the beach location is not very far (1-2 miles??) from Beach Place etc. http://www.primantibrothers.com/

I didn't realize the Fort Lauderdale location was one in the same as the Pittsburgh until I read it on another thread here.

It's about a 1.7 mile walk from Bahia Mar to Primante's. They put french fries on their sandwiches. It's a very pleasant scenic walk.

Tour groups have to rip you off so they can make the money somewhere. How many people are in it? The more people in it the better deals you should be getting since they get group rates and all that stuff. But you gotta leave the guide tip and everyday. The one time I went with a tour group to Yellowstone park I vowed to never go with one again. Crappy hotels every night and we were required to tip the driver 7 dollars a day per person for tip. not to mention we only got about 30 minutes per location because it took hours to unload and load people on the bus. Anyway sorry for the ranting!

Thanks to everyone for your input! It is most appreciated, We are booked into the Ramada Hollywood Beach for 2 nights at a total cost of $300 Cdn through our tour company. On everyones recommendations I think we will be changing to the Bahia Mar in fort Lauderdale. We have arranged our transportation with Steve at SAS Transportation, all from this board!!

Great Info

Thanks and keep the suggestions Coming!

Fred & Tracie

Hey Fred and Tracie,

I can't believe what a small internet world this is...

Steve and Bev are also on here researching the Bahia Mar for our upcoming cruise, we needed a little break from our usual vacation destination ;).

As you guys will be visiting first any feedback will be appreciated, the Bahia Mar is on our short list for our upcoming Oasis of the Seas Cruise!

Cheers!

Bev

HI Guy's

What a small world since Steve YYZ led us to the Bohemia Havana in Toronto on that wonderfull February evening! When are you and Steve considering cruising? We are booked on the Pearl for March 22nd...... Want to come?

Cheers F&T

Has anyone stayed here recently? We are a family staying here one night pre-cruise. Was wondering if it is near water taxi stop and how close to a store where I can buy wine/champagne and soda. Thanks! We are going on the Independence 4/4.

The water taxi stop is at Seville St on the Intracoastal, one long block behind the Hilton. CVS just opened at Beach Place 4-5 blocks south on A1A, and they sell wine and soda, maybe champagne.

Sorry F & T, it would be fun :D, however, we have already slotted one more trip to Holguin this year probably in June, hoping to stay at the PRDO but at this rate it may be the SLYM, and then the big family cruise on the Oasis of the Seas for Jan 2010 I don't think we could afford a second cruise this year :o.

Steve is NOT a cruise lover (kinda being coerced into this cruise :p and it will most likely to be our last :rolleyes:), we are going along as a part of a larger "family cruise" and my job has been to try and find a " pre-cruise" hotel for the group.

Narrowed it down to a few hotels, very early in the process still but so far in our price range we like the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale, Bahia Mar Beach or the Fort Lauderdale Grande hotel and Yacht Club.

We are going down a few days earlier and would like a hotel with a nice pool area, walking distance to restaurants and shops for last minute shopping.

I am not familiar at all with Fort Lauderdale so any and all suggestions are welcome...

You guys have a GREAT time on this cruise and try not to compare it too much to our beloved Island :D, however, upon your return if you could let us know how your time in Fort Lauderdale went, hotel review, things to see and do we would really appreciate it!

Cheers!

B & S

Hi Bev

Will be more than happy to give you our opinion of the hotel and area. It is great to get such wonderful info from the members of this board! We visited our favourite island for the 13th time at the end of Oct. and enjoyed Santa Lucia! Not sure if cruising is for us but the criteria for our 25th anniversary was to go where we haven't been before and do something we normally wouldn't do, so this is it!

Cheers F&T

Hi. years ago we stayed in our boat and ate at the Ft. Lauderdale Yacht Club, it was wonderful but pricey. A nice one night adventure. If you are anywhere near the water taxi, that is fun to do, see lots of the beautiful waterfront home in the lagoons. When we were there, the popular place to go for lunch or dinner was Shooters. At least I believe that is the name. haven't been in a while but if it is still there, it is a neat waterfront eatery, tho probably not a dive.

While I'm at it, we have been booked by our TA at the Westin. I am assuming it is the one right off of 95 as the new Westin resort has just opened a week or so ago. If it is the old one, it has received spotty reviews. does anyone know of it and if so, what can you tell me about reasonable places to get breakfast or lunch? We will be there one day but I hear that the breakfast at the hotel restaurant is 21 dollars per (yikes!). I think we are hoping that they really will book us at the new one but I doubt it. Any info will be appreciated.:)

Archived