Question about Ensenada

dporter

We went to Ensenada on our honeymoon 6 years ago on a Carnival Cruise - so my memory isn't the best. We did however do our own thing. We rented a scooter, or moped. It was all white except for the big orange "RENT ME" sign taped to the front. That did bring us a few looks, but it was the scraping sound that was made when we dragged bottom on the metal speed bumps that really got us the looks, because being newly married we were to cheap to get "2" mopeds, therefore we both rode one. What a hoot. We did some shopping and ate at this little bar, sorry can't remember the name, we had 4 margaritas, a big plate of scallops, and a plate of quesadillas for 25 bucks w/ tip. The ride back to the ship? Well we had 5 mexican blankets, booze, had to buy another back pack, and of course a sombero. Touristy? Probably. Fun? Heck yeah!

When I was in Ensenada, when you got off the ship and all the Taxis were there to take you into town(which is only a few blocks away), they offered to take us to the straw market and La Bufadora for cheaper than the ships excursion was. I can't remomber how much(sorry it was a couple years ago already)and I can't tell you anything else because we didn't go-we just hung out in town and shopped and drank and went to Pappa's and Beer.

When we were there a few years ago there were several taxis right at the ship that offered to take you to town and arrange a trip to La Bufadora for about 1/2 the price of the ship tour. I believe they are paid by the tour company that then takes you on the tour. :)

When you get off the ship there will be vans that take you into town for $2.00. While driving to town they will try to sell you a tour to the bufadora. They are much cheaper than the ship tours. We have done this many times. Ask the tour guide (once on the tour) to stop at the Corona factory/outlet. you can buy a bucket of Coronas for cheap. This improves the Bufadora experience. Just don't give one to the driver, as the road there is along a winding cliff. While walking down the street to the bufadora, on the left hand side (about half-way to the bufadora) there is a cafe that makes the ultimate fish tacos. Get several, as they are small. Also try the shrimp tacos. The street down to the Bufadora is lined with shops. The prices here are much cheaper than in town. The Bufadora is an under water cavern that blows upward, sort of like Old Faithful. How high it blows depends upon the tides. The tour bus will drop you off in town if you care to shop or go to Papas and Beer, or they will take you directly back to the ship. I think the whole tour costs around $12-$14. A true bargain. Bon Voyage........

Archived