Queens Grill

Selfloadingcargo

Incidentally, talking about shoes, why do so many men think it is perfectly in order to go galumphing about in thundering great leather shoes while wearing evening dress. Is it too much to ask that they wear the correct foot wear? Namely a pair of elegant patent leather pumps. Can there be a more peculiar sight than a pair of otherwise nicely tailored trouser legs ending in something akin to a Carribbean sugar barge. Quite, quite bizarre. One is dressed for dinner and perhaps a little dancing not bummelling around the alleyways of some eastern European housing complex. Please gentlemen, let us look to our feet if only for the ladies' ( God bless 'em) sake.

Gari

Gari

'FREESTYLE?' 'CLIP-ON?' 'PRE-TIED?' PM I know not whereof you speak.

There is ONLY a bow tie. A simple length of silk artfully fashioned with shaped ends which when correctly knotted around one's neck assumes the appearance of a bow. The illustrations you have provided are obviously some low fellow's idea of a jest. Either that or something from a clown's wardrobe or a children's entertainer's costume. As for your final sentence, can I assure you that a 'gentleman' does not have what you casually refer to as 'choice', there is no choice to be made. How can you have a choice of one. So when seeing a gentleman one instinctively knows that he is wearing a bow tie and not one of the other abominations you have shown. And one would ALWAYS know when someone (though obviously not a gentleman) is wearing one of those other things. Although naturally one would not speak of it (or to him).

Gari

Gari, for you!!!

tbrn55l.jpg

Incidentally, talking about shoes, why do so many men think it is perfectly in order to go galumphing about in thundering great leather shoes while wearing evening dress. Is it too much to ask that they wear the correct foot wear? Namely a pair of elegant patent leather pumps. Can there be a more peculiar sight than a pair of otherwise nicely tailored trouser legs ending in something akin to a Carribbean sugar barge. Quite, quite bizarre. One is dressed for dinner and perhaps a little dancing not bummelling around the alleyways of some eastern European housing complex. Please gentlemen, let us look to our feet if only for the ladies' ( God bless 'em) sake.

Gari

Gari

You mean patent leather pumps? NOOOOO!!!!!!!

Gari

Gari

What sublime joy to read the posts of the intellectual, the refined, the gentleman.

Poor Bob! He just can't seem to see beyond his own narcissistic perspective. I have no desire at all to travel in the Grills category. Now that I am retired I have lots of time to travel. I would prefer to take more, less expensive trips, than fewer, more expensive ones. I love the Britannia restaurant - its expansiveness, that it stretches across the ship, the sense of theatre that it creates for me. The Grills, on the other hand, I find much less interesting - they seem much more like many of the first class restaurants in which I have eaten on land. I prefer inside cabins - I am a night owl and so find a windowless cabin more conducive to sleeping late in the morning. (I have refused upgrades to oceanview cabins.) Also, I love ships and choose to spend my time wandering and relaxing in the public areas. Consequently the extra space available in higher priced cabins would be wasted on me. In addition, as a socially reponsible person, I do not choose to use more resources than I require to be comfortable. Bob and his ilk will, I am sure, continue to interpret my preferences as 'sour grapes'. Despite this I am truly delighted that he and others have a different perspective and choose to travel in the Grills - their subsidization of my voyage is very much appreciated! Also, I imagine that Bob, like many Grills pax, tends to confine himself to the Grill facilities; consequently I don't have to deal on board with his self-serving pretentiousness! I am aware, of course, that the 'Bobs' on this Board are the minority among Grills pax. Indeed, I have met many lovely, polite, sensitive, and funny Grills pax whilst they were slumming it, making forays into the steerage area of the ship! LOL Vive la difference! Bon voyage! Bill

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the optimum grade on QM2 is AA. I hear so much of those who are disappointed in the QM2 grills - more especially the QG as opposed to the PG.

I heard the other day that the QM2 QG Maitre'D was too important to speak to passengers. I trust that the current Maitre'D of the PG, Mr. David Chambers, points out to him the correct way to run a restaurant.

Mr. Chambers, together with Mr. Nelder and very ably assisted by Mr. Burchall, ran the QG on QE2. Now that was worth the money.

Those days have gone.

I have known many who preferred Mauretania to Caronia for the simple fact of seatings - and even that service was better in the former. Some of those I count as friends. I wasn't better because I was in QG - I had merely made different decisions.

Vive la difference indeed. And, at heart, does it really matter where one eats when one is sitting in the Commodore Club?

If I were you I'd be ashamed to ask this. It is in fact "the Proles" not "a proles". Although one prole would be a prole.

Have you never read Orwell?

Proletariate; the hoi polloi; the lower classes.

With which this thread is litttered.

Here is one I plan to get for Jean Luc's dad for our next cruise on the QM2. It doesn't show it, but there is a lttle elastic thingy that goes around the neck and clips. Very easy and neat for those who have manual dexterity problems.

Why does his manual dexterity problem stop him wearing a bow tie? He has a wife, does he not?

A good steward would help too. Many times I have seen Butlers called to assist on Signal Deck....

Why does his manual dexterity problem stop him wearing a bow tie? He has a wife, does he not?

A good steward would help too. Many times I have seen Butlers called to assist on Signal Deck....

True, but he doesn't trust me with his neck in my hands.

You cat hawking "T"s again?;)

Very astute Michael my sweet.....ever the opportunist that CAT. When he sees too many ttt's used in one word he figures there'll be a run on them next....an opportunist in orange is SM!! :rolleyes:

Well spotted...;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Incidentally, talking about shoes, why do so many men think it is perfectly in order to go galumphing about in thundering great leather shoes while wearing evening dress. Is it too much to ask that they wear the correct foot wear? Namely a pair of elegant patent leather pumps. Can there be a more peculiar sight than a pair of otherwise nicely tailored trouser legs ending in something akin to a Caribbean sugar barge. Quite, quite bizarre. One is dressed for dinner and perhaps a little dancing not pummeling around the alleyways of some eastern European housing complex. Please gentlemen, let us look to our feet if only for the ladies' ( God bless 'em) sake.

Garik

Garik

Gari (or should it be Garik Garik), I totally agree with you on this one. There is nothing worse than a smartly dressed 'Gentleman' wearing inappropriate footwear! Why some 'gentlemen' choose to wear shoes with thick heavily treaded, coarse patterned soles with a dinner suit really is most mystifying. They may be ideal for not slipping about in a muddy farmyard, but certainly NOT at all appropriate for evening wear.

One other thing: why do so many men wear trousers that are at least 100mm too long for them? Whilst I fully realise that it may be the latest 'cool' fashion to have ones trousers concertina fashion around the ankles, it certainly does, (at least in my opinion), detract from the overall appearance. Could it be that their tailor got his centimetres mixed up with his inches when measuring the leg?

Regards,

David

Please please please.

Hoi is the Greek for the. What on earth does the the many mean??

Jane

Hoi Polloi, like most ‘borrowings’ has, through the flexibility of this wonderful language that we share, become disassociated with the literal translation from its parent tongue. Instead it has become a verbal shorthand used to convey an entire concept. The concept in this case signifying not just the notion of ‘the many’ but also to indicate that that notion is in some small way stigmatising or denigrating. Compare it with the Latin tags of, e.g., Et Donna Ferentes or Dulce et Decorum both of which are incomplete but which nonetheless convey a complete idea which is discrete from the full quotation and its literal translation.

But of course you knew all that didn’t you and were just teasing us.

Signed P. Edantic.

Gari (

One other thing: why do so many men wear trousers that are at least 100mm too long for them? Whilst I fully realise that it may be the latest 'cool' fashion to have ones trousers concertina fashion around the ankles, it certainly does, (at least in my opinion), detract from the overall appearance. Could it be that their tailor got his centimetres mixed up with his inches when measuring the leg?

Regards,

David

David, may I call you David, (we have not after all been introduced,) I could not agree with you more. I must take up your point about the tailor though because anyone walking abroad with trousers as you have described obviously does not HAVE a tailor and must, perforce, purchase Prêt a porter. Standards dear chap, standards on an ever quickening downward rush.

Gari.

Hoi Polloi, like most ‘borrowings’ has, through the flexibility of this wonderful language that we share, become disassociated with the literal translation from its parent tongue. Instead it has become a verbal shorthand used to convey an entire concept. The concept in this case signifying not just the notion of ‘the many’ but also to indicate that that notion is in some small way stigmatising or denigrating. Compare it with the Latin tags of, e.g., Et Donna Ferentes or Dulce et Decorum both of which are incomplete but which nonetheless convey a complete idea which is discrete from the full quotation and its literal translation.

But of course you knew all that didn’t you and were just teasing us.

Signed P. Edantic.

I love P. Edantics! And Exlondoner does a fine job as one! ;)

David, may I call you David, (we have not after all been introduced,) I could not agree with you more.

Gazza, will you flaming cut it out with all this agreeing with people. Your doin' my flippin' head in.

Now, can we all get back to tearing verbal strips out of each other in our normally friendly fashion? Where the hell's Bobnat when you need him?

J

David, may I call you David, (we have not after all been introduced,) I could not agree with you more. I must take up your point about the tailor though because anyone walking abroad with trousers as you have described obviously does not HAVE a tailor and must, perforce, purchase Prêt a porter. Standards dear chap, standards on an ever quickening downward rush.

Gari.

I have a question, Grizzly. Do you truly call men's dress shoes, black leather pumps? I have never heard a gentlemen's shoe referred to as a pump before--it has always been women's high heels. Perhaps it is another difference in the two languages?

Archived