Just off the Westerdam

swimsimcoe

My second cruise on the Westerdam was as good as the first.The crew is fabulous,the food was delicious,the Pinnacle restaurant wonderful and worth a special night.Healthy choices in the Lido were plentiful.Entertainmentwas very enjoyable.

One of the funniest nights I ever had on the high seas was the night of karaoke with the judges.It was very spontaneous and the audience was in hysterics.

I also thought that anytime dining worked to perfection.ON some nights we had reservations and on some we didn't and still was seated quickly and served beautifully.Loved it.

Debarkation was the absolute smoothest I have ever seen.We were off the ship in no more than 10 minutes tops.Hal has it down to a science.

IF I had a complaint it would be about the piano bar guy.Very good on most nights but on the Showtunes evening that he held in the larger Explorers lounge-becaue they knew there would be a larger crowd-he played to his over 60 yrs old audience for about 1/4 of his show and then went into much newer obscure stuff.People were very disappointed because they assumed it would be familar stuff-there was no even one Andrew LLoyd Weber-only the most prolific musical writer of our time.He totally lost his audience.Two 20 year olds near me were happy on the other hand.I think you have to play to the crowd.You wouldn't play Sinatra to 16 year olds either.

Other than that I was thrilled with the cruise and can't wait for the Noordam in March.

Oh yeah-noticed a couple of cutbacks that have been discussed on these boards.Mainly no Caribbean band at lunch-mainly the very loud Caren and the Halcats.

Thanks for the review! I'm sailing on 3/8. Can you tell me who the CD and Captain are, and will they be with the ship in March? Also, did you have a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and, if so, which one. I can't seem to figure out which one to book! Too many choices.

Thanks!

Thanks for the review! I'm sailing on 3/8. Can you tell me who the CD and Captain are, and will they be with the ship in March? Also, did you have a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and, if so, which one. I can't seem to figure out which one to book! Too many choices.

Thanks!

I'm sorry but can't remember the name of the captain-I don't pay attention to that-but he seemed really nice and funny.The Cd was andrew something-if I kept all my stuff I would be better than this-and he was pretty good except for a game he ran which was the pits.Sorry about that.

I stayed at the Bahia Mar this time becasue I saw a special promotion for $129.I think it's gone now.I liked it a lot.Location was fantastic-right on the boardwalk and across from the water taxi-which is great fun.I have stayed at the Embassy when we were 4 ladies in a suite-otherwise expensive-also very nice and in March will be staying at the Comfort Inn Airport for $99.Free shuttles and breakfast.

Hope this helps a bit.

I'm sorry but can't remember the name of the captain-I don't pay attention to that-but he seemed really nice and funny.The Cd was andrew something-if I kept all my stuff I would be better than this-and he was pretty good except for a game he ran which was the pits.Sorry about that.

I stayed at the Bahia Mar this time becasue I saw a special promotion for $129.I think it's gone now.I liked it a lot.Location was fantastic-right on the boardwalk and across from the water taxi-which is great fun.I have stayed at the Embassy when we were 4 ladies in a suite-otherwise expensive-also very nice and in March will be staying at the Comfort Inn Airport for $99.Free shuttles and breakfast.

Hope this helps a bit.

I wish I was lucky enough to have it be Drew Murdoch. We had him on our first cruise and we loved him. Very dry humor, remeniscent of Johnny Carson in his younger days. He's from Canada.

Thanks for the info on the hotel. I've been seriously considering the Comfort Inn Airport and Cruiseport or Holiday Inn Express. I've read so many posts on this subject, my eyes are crossed. Originally we were to come in earlier the day before, but now our flight is not arriving until almost 11:00 p.m., so all we need is a place to crash for about 12 hours, and luxury is not an issue.

Thanks!

Capt. is scheduled to be Henk Keijer. The current CD won't be on your cruise unless he's extended.

Capt. is scheduled to be Henk Keijer. The current CD won't be on your cruise unless he's extended.

Thank, John. I'm sure whoever the CD is will be just fine. It's just that I really liked Drew on the Noordam, and was hoping. :o

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! I am glad you had such a nice time. Lucky you to have another cruise already scheduled. We're on the Noordam this Friday (I am SO excited). :)

I guess when you have such a great time yo want to share some memories just to extend the pleasure.I always enjoy reading everyones reviews.

I guess when you have such a great time yo want to share some memories just to extend the pleasure.I always enjoy reading everyones reviews.

That's so nice of you! I love reading reviews. We don't get to cruise very often so I really enjoy reading what everyone else has to say about their cruising experience. :)

We have a big CC group going on the Noordam this week, so I am sure there will be a lot of reviews posted once we get back. I'll bet there will even be a "live from the Noordam" thread. :)

I had been in both ports before and took this cruise because of less ports,more sea days,so really took it easy.Walked around Aruba for a very short time and returned to the ship to enjoy the near empty ship and in Curacao walked for a couple of hours and shopped a bit.Prettiest town.Sorry not more exciting stuff to report but it's my idea of relaxing.

Archived