Prince Ruppart vs Victoria

puggal

Victoria is a beautiful city with a lot to do, including unbelievable Butchart Gardens.

Prince Rupert is a depressed city with nothing to do. A big waste of time getting off the ship. don't even bother, except to stretch your legs. Still wondering why NCL goes there, except to fulfill legal obligation of visiting a foreign port.

wow cantwaitt, good to see you have an open mind! Prince Rupert as far as excursions go has far more to offer than you indicate. Yes, Victoria as a spectacle is a garden city, filled with wealthy people in wealthy homes with articificial gardens. Prince Rupert is a frontier town on the west coast featuring humpback whalewatching, bearviewing, kayaking, hiking, halibut and slamon fishing, jetboat wilderness adventures and the charm of a small Alaska-like town.

It sounds as if you are comparing the Pearl Itinerary with the Star itinerary.

Prince Ruppert vs. Victoria is not the best way to compare those two cruises. I would compare Glacier Bay with Sawyer Glacier. Glacier Bay is magnificant and should not be missed on any trip to Alaska.

Peronally, when I did the Glacier Bay intinerary (on the Star in 2005), I did not really care for Victoria. I found the town to be boring with nothing really to do. Since the ship comes in at night, the members of our party who went to the Gardens said that they couldn't really enjoy all that the gardens had to offer and felt it was a waste of money to visit there.

everyone has his/her own idea obviously from the comments,but as for port choice, I would take Victoria anyday. It is a beautiful and fasinating city. Just to go to Bouchant (spelling) Gardens alone is worth the stop.. As for the rest of the itinerary and the ships, that is another subject.

Nita

I have to say as far as P. R. I don't think it is a depressing place. When we went there we took an excursion that left immediately after the ship docked and got back late, actually, so we did not get to interact with the towns people. I have read nothing but great things about how friendly they are and actually look forward to going back there and just walking around.

Also I do want to say that while I have never been to Glacier Bay, I have read about how wonderful it is, but I don't think Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm Fjord should be discounted. IF you can afford to take the seperate excursion, that is. I would agree the two probably do not compare if you are just going to see Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm from the ship, but the excursion is wonderful and worth every last penny. To date that has been the most amazing excursion we have ever taken. We actually went to Dawes Glacier/Endicott Arm since Tracy Arm was full of ice, but it was breathtaking.

To the OP. If you are trying to decide between the two, Pearl or Star. here is my honest advise. If you feel this is a once in a lifetime cruise for you, go with the Pearl. I have to say that the people on this board who's opinions I respect the most almost all agree Glacier Bay is not to be missed. However if you think there is a chance you might make this trip a couple of times, you can not go wrong with the Star. She is a beautiful ship with a great staff and like I say, if you can take that excursion to Tracy Arm, I know you will not be disappointed. Just to show you I mean what I type... 8-)... we are planning our second trip back to Alaska now and at this point we are leaning on going back on the Star. That would be our second trip to Alaska on the Star and our fourth trip on her overall.

"wow cantwaitt, good to see you have an open mind! Prince Rupert as far as excursions go has far more to offer than you indicate. Yes, Victoria as a spectacle is a garden city, filled with wealthy people in wealthy homes with articificial gardens. Prince Rupert is a frontier town on the west coast featuring humpback whalewatching, bearviewing, kayaking, hiking, halibut and slamon fishing, jetboat wilderness adventures and the charm of a small Alaska-like town."

Well written - I second your thoughts 110%

Cheers

Dennis

Archived