Suggestions/info for these ports with 5 y/o and almost 2 y/o

Brae&Ang

Hi all, we are taking a cruise from NY (no air travel involved) to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport (Bahamas). Our children will be 5 and almost 2 at the time. In Port Canaveral we are planning on going to the magic kingdom.

Nassau and Freeport I have no clue, We weren't planning on bringing car seats so that would probably limit what we do. Although we are open to bringing them if necessary.

Any suggestions or info? :)

It really depends on what you want out of a vacation. Of course Disney is a must in Port Canaveral so I would spend some money doing that. I have been to the Atlantis and used their facility by renting a room across the street at the Comfort Suites (was about $ 150 in 2000). It was really fun for my older son. The baby stayed in the stroller. The beach was too windy and rough. Freeport is an ugly island.

Except for the private island, which have nice beaches and are alot of fun- I think you get ripped off. That's just my opinion. With a dozen Caribbean cruises under my belt, I am just as happy to save the cab fares, beach rental rates and stay onboard. With two little ones- you may decide it is more fun to have the ship to yourself while everyone else gets off in the AM.

This is an easy one for me because they are my favorite ports (I know I know, some despise the Bahamas, not me :D)

Nassau - For that age, I would do Atlantis. Do what Rebecca suggested and get a room at Comfort Suites next door or (pending on price) a room at Atlantis itself. I reviewed some of the things that we love about the Bahamas here...

http://www.cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Freeport - this is one of the few ports that allow you to swim with dolphins with babies. ;) It's called the "Dolphin Encounter"

http://www.unexso.com

If swimming with dolphins is not your thing, then grab a taxi (I know, you said no car seats, but you might wanna reconsider) and go to "Our Lucaya". Tell the taxi to take you to the Sheraton Our Lucaya. Walk through the Sheraton and out the other side to the beach. You can use their beach (not their pool). They just like people to get lunch at their snack bar (pretty good selection for a bar)

http://www.ourlucaya.com/

Did this cruise last year, and going back this year as well. It is great, as long as you know what to expect.

In Port Canaveral, i would suggest renting a car to go where you would like. Last year, we drove to Downtown Disney and spent the day shopping and soaked up the Disney feeling. In my opinion, not enough time to do a park for the cost of it...

In Nassau, we rented the room at the ComfortSuites and got the Atlantis passes. It was great with the room, since we got to go back in the afternoon and make the kids nap before going back out and having a nice supper. The girls loved the "digs" which are the aquariums at Atlantis. This was probably the best part of their trip. This year, we are going to get a day pass at one of the beach hotels (Wyndham /Sheraton) and spend the day in the pools and beach.

Freeport is a freebee in my opinion. We are not there long enough to actually do much. We will probably just get out to do some shopping.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Grace

Archived