Southern Carrib on Golden-Classic vs. Explorer itineraries-PLEASE HELP!

abster70

Yet again I, the ultimate Cruise Newbie am second guessing myself and am turning to you all for much needed guidance...

A few days ago, hubby and I booked our first cruise on the Golden for our 10 year anniversary. I should be thrilled right?! No, not obsessive me...

See I am not only agonizing over our decision to choose an inside cabin (that's on my other thread!) but even more now, I think we might have picked the wrong itinerary, the Southern Carrib. Explorer.

Our cruise goes to both Caracas and hurricane devastated Grenada. I know Princess is stopping Grenada for now, but will probably be returning by Jan 2006 when I sail, so Princess says.

The thing is, I have read extensively on these boards of the horrors of the Caracas/La Guaira port experience. It has also been reported that it's going to take YEARS for Grenada to recover. (Estimates are that 90% of the homes in the already poor country were destroyed or seriously damaged.)

I really wanted to see Aruba and St. Kitts but all in all is the Classic Southern Carrib. a better itinerary? Here's the line up for the two...both on the Golden

Explorer (the one we're on)

St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Caracas, Aruba

Classic

Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Thomas

PLEASE PLEASE HELP A LADY Going NUTS!

This is your first cruise, right? If you have never been to any of those ports, they are all great. If you miss any of the ports you wish you had seen, it only gives you another reason to book a future cruise while you are onboard (something that I and most other posters highly recommend, by the way).

What is it that you want to do at the ports? Have you read the Princess page, plus the ports section of CC to see what there is to do and see at each port? Some cruisers (DH and I) enjoy the ship experience and don't really care which ports we go to. There are lots of things to do on the ship, and we mostly go away for romance and relaxation anyway.

I hardly think you could go wrong with either itinerary - and keep in mind that itineraries do change and if you pick a cruise specifically upon one port, you may be very dissapointed if for any reason it it changed.

Go - and enjoy yourself, and by all means relax. By the way, I've had two balconies, one window, and one inside room. I chose the inside for my next cruise again because I found that I can cruise a lot more often if I forego the balcony. I don't think you have made a poor choice with that decision either.

Have fun - study the intended ports, and stop obsessing (smiles).

I have done both itineraries - and very much enjoyed both. Although I'm not sure I can express my reasoning - but as a first time cruiser, I would select the St. Marteen itinerary. This trip stops at much more established ports with well organized tour possibilities. For example, Eli's Eco Tour on Antigua should not be missed. Anywhere on St Martin is wonderful. I wish I had more time and would have also gone to the French side. We ferried from St. Thomas to St Johns (this is our favorite island)

On the other route, we were very impressed with the efforts that St Kitts is making to become a major port. It's a beautiful island. The rainforest in Dominica was very beautiful. Most people love Aruba - but since we live in the desert, it wasn't as appealing to us.

Have a great time on which ever you chose!

We did the Classic type itinerary last December (with the exception of St. Lucia--we were at St. Vincent instead). We loved it! We especially liked Antigua and Eli's Eco Tour as someone else has also pointed out. I think the Explorer route sounds very fun too....every island has something unique to offer. On the topic of inside cabins, we have always booked insides and have no complaints at all. The more economical price of insides allows us to cruise more often!!! We got hooked big time after our first cruise and have taken several since (Next one in two weeks)

I think you'd enjoy either itinerary. It's possible that you wouldn't stop at Caracas due to political unrest but I think the people who say it's a horror try to do things on their own. This is one port where you really should go through the cruiseline as the port and beaches aren't places you should go on your own. The Princess tours in Caracas are excellent and there is lots to do and see. This is a major, cosmopolitan city with a lot of South American history. I've been here several times and lived in Caracas for a summer when I was young. I'd go back if it were on my itinerary.

I'm not sure what you and your husband like to do, but I would pick Classic. I love St. Marteen, Antigua and Barbados. If you like to snorkel and have beach time, I thiink this would be the best itinerary. If you want to enjoy the ship more, go with the Explorer route and enjoy the ship during Caracas.

We did both these routes on the Golden b2b in September. We loved both itineraries!

Dominica (substituted for Grenada) is wonderful. We did the Rain Forest Aerial Tramway - wonderful! We did not go to Caracas because of "political unrest" but instead went to Isla de Margarita. We only had a short stop there, but enjoyed it. There was a lovely market and a pretty little beach right at the dock.

We enjoyed Aruba too. Visited the Butterfly Farm and the Aloe Factory.

In fact we loved everything about the whole cruise!!

Archived