New Here...First family vacation!

mzche1999

Hi All,

My name is Michelle and DH and I are finally taking our boys on a big vacation with us. We have been on a cruise (Carnival Holiday 01') and to Hawaii and we went to an all inclusive in Mexico last summer, but these have been just the two of us.

There are just so many options that my head hurts just thinking about them, but I have decided to let the math decide. We are considering Disney, but we are traveling the last week in July. I LOVED our cruise and we have been meaning to do it again. The Carnival Pride has a July 24 sailing from Baltimore, which would be ideal. We could drive to the port and save a bit on airfare.

I would love any advice/strategies on cruising with children. At the time of our vacation, our boys will be 6 and almost 4....hopefully potty trained. How is Camp Carnival? How is the Carnival Pride? Where do I get the good rates? Are past guest rates the best that can be had? A vacation planner quoted me just under $3700 for the 4 of us in an oceanview cabin...is that good?

Hugs,

Chelle

Camp Carnival has a wonderful program for the kids. The members of this board have collected the schedule pages from different cruise lines and Carnival is one of them. Click on the "Kid Pages" link in my signature and it will take you to those capers.

I just went to www.Carnival.com and ran the price for that date. I came up with $3,502.04 - Ocean View cabin for the 4 of you includes taxes/govt fees. There is an "Early Saver rate" on the site.

If you change the date to August 14 - it drops to $3,022.04

If only one of your kiddos will be in school you may want to think about pulling them out of school and going at a less busy and hot time of the year...perhaps May or Nov. Not sure if the Pride sails then or not-Just a thought...have fun whatever you decide! :o) Also you should sign up at Carnival's website to receive special email codes..although most of the codes can also be found here on carnival's forum.

It is not a problem to go to the Caribbean in July. There is always the chance of a hurricane from May-November though. I live in Baltimore and have sailed out of there twice- once to Bermuda and once to the Caribbean.

The great thing about being on a ship is there is a breeze. When you aren't in port it is very comfortable on the open deck even in summer. I did a Disney cruise in August of 2006 and there was a breeze and the air temperature was much more comfortable then in Baltimore during the summer. The islands have a cross breeze and you will be fine.

Do the one out of Baltimore- save money and aggrevation by driving. That way you can bring everything you need without worrying about the weight of the suitcases, etc.

Your plan sounds great. Baltimore is actually a nice city but the port area is really yucky.

It is not a problem to go to the Caribbean in July. There is always the chance of a hurricane from May-November though. I live in Baltimore and have sailed out of there twice- once to Bermuda and once to the Caribbean.

The great thing about being on a ship is there is a breeze. When you aren't in port it is very comfortable on the open deck even in summer. I did a Disney cruise in August of 2006 and there was a breeze and the air temperature was much more comfortable then in Baltimore during the summer. The islands have a cross breeze and you will be fine.

Do the one out of Baltimore- save money and aggrevation by driving. That way you can bring everything you need without worrying about the weight of the suitcases, etc.

Your plan sounds great. Baltimore is actually a nice city but the port area is really yucky.

That's great to know...perhaps in 2010 we will try sailing out of Baltimore...or maybe Bayonne as it's closer to us.

I've sailed out of Manhattan, Red Hook and Cape Liberty NJ and it was fine too. Airports have become such a headache with lost luggage, delays, luggage weight restrictions, security on liquids for carryons, etc. If I can drive, sail or take the train instead I prefer it.

Being able to drive to a port, especially with kids, will not only save money, but headaches with packing for kids!!!!

The sad part is that driving to port doesn't always save money. I could easily drive to Baltimore, Bayonne, NJ or NY but we always fly to Florida. Our airfare is usually $117-$154pp direct to Florida port areas.

Since there are more ships in Florida, it means more competition and the prices are lower.

So driving to the port, yes MUCH less hassle, no doubt. But flying to Florida from big city airports means low cost flights, lower cost cruise.

The sad part is that driving to port doesn't always save money. I could easily drive to Baltimore, Bayonne, NJ or NY but we always fly to Florida. Our airfare is usually $117-$154pp direct to Florida port areas.

Since there are more ships in Florida, it means more competition and the prices are lower.

So driving to the port, yes MUCH less hassle, no doubt. But flying to Florida from big city airports means low cost flights, lower cost cruise.

I know what you mean. We've priced cruises quite a bit and almost every time it cosst more to sail from a closer port then it does to factor in airfare and the cruise....it's nice being near so many airports in PA/NJ.

Archived