Stone Barn Wines?

southt00

Hi:

We wanted to try the Eurodam house wines before the cruise in order to know whether or not to by a wine card or bring our own. I have tried searching for Stone Barn. Sholuld I look for Delicato?

We live in Canada and I can't seem to find the wine up here. I can't even find much info on the Internet. Is it sold under another name? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

T.

Why not wait until you get to the ship, buy a glass of the wine, taste it and if you like it, then buy the wine card? :confused:

The OP is trying to decide between buying the wine card or bringing their own. Hard to do after you are already on the ship. :D

We wanted to try the Eurodam house wines before the cruise in order to know whether or not to by a wine card or bring our own. I have tried searching for Stone Barn. Sholuld I look for Delicato?

I don't see anything for Stone Barn wine on any searches....sorry.

Tayo and Kristy

Hi:

We live in Canada and I can't seem to find the wine up here. I can't even find much info on the Internet. Is it sold under another name? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

T.

Ok, this is their website but as you can tell its new and in the process of being built.

Stone Barn Vineyards

I can tell you I love their Cabernet Sauvignon

It's a common practice for winemakers to put different labels on their high production wines, one for retail sale, and one for restaurant (or cruise ship) wine lists. This helps restaurants obscure the degree to which they mark up the price and therefore helps the winemaker sell to restaurants.

In the case of the "Stone Barn" brand, it is a restaurant label for Delicato Family Vineyards of Manteca, California. I haven't done a side-by-side tasting, but I strongly suspect that Stone Barn Cabernet is exactly the same product as Delicato Cabernet. If you Google "Delicato Cabernet", you'll find that it is widely available for $10.00 or less per bottle. Holland America's cost for the Stone Barn brand is no doubt considerably below that.

To the OP, pick up a bottle of Delicato Cabernet for a preliminary evaluation of what you'll be getting for your wine card glasses. If it's to your taste, go for it.

Marc

In another thread on this same subject, one poster equated Stone Barn to the likes of "Columbia Crest (Columbia Valley); Rosemount Shiraz (Australia); Red Truck (Sonoma); blends like Menage a Trois (Napa)".

I'd say if you like anything along those lines, you would probably be fine with the Stone Barn.

From Beverages and More:

Delicato Chardonnay '06

86 PTS WILFRED WONG. Clean, bright and lively, the frisky '06 Delicato Chardonnay shows balance and class that most others in this price range lack; perky in the aftertaste.

» 750 ML

$3.99

I am first to admit I am not a wine offciando, never really aquired a taste for it, but with that said I would like to experience the wine while on my 20 day cruise through the Mediterranean in August. What would be a sweet wine for someone like me who does not like a dry wine or the taste of chewing the skin off the grapes. ?? any input would be wonderful. :confused:

Various ice wines are sweet. Look for Tokay. For a less dry varietal, you might want to try a reisling, which are generally pretty good, or a white zinfandel, which are generally not; the residual sugars in those wines are higher then most whites. Don't know of any sweeter reds (i.e. manaschevitz etc) that I could bear to drink.

Various ice wines are sweet. Look for Tokay. For a less dry varietal, you might want to try a reisling, which are generally pretty good, or a white zinfandel, which are generally not; the residual sugars in those wines are higher then most whites. Don't know of any sweeter reds (i.e. manaschevitz etc) that I could bear to drink.

I don't see on HALs wine list that they even offer a reisling?? am I missing it or just not knowing what to look for?

The OP is trying to decide between buying the wine card or bringing their own. Hard to do after you are already on the ship. :D

Tayo and Kristy

Not Really. :D You can buy wine in any port and bring it aboard with you.

Not Really. :D You can buy wine in any port and bring it aboard with you.

Why not wait until you get to the ship, buy a glass of the wine, taste it and if you like it, then buy the wine card? :confused:

But you told them to wait till they get on board and taste the wine....they are trying to decide if they should buy wine before hand or if the house wine will be fine...anyways I should have just let re-state their original question....

Tayo and Kristy :)

I am first to admit I am not a wine offciando, never really aquired a taste for it, but with that said I would like to experience the wine while on my 20 day cruise through the Mediterranean in August. What would be a sweet wine for someone like me who does not like a dry wine or the taste of chewing the skin off the grapes. ?? any input would be wonderful. :confused:

Hi Chloe's Nana,

I've got 3 suggestions for you:

1. Ask the wine steward for a sweeter wine. They are usually very knowledgeable about the wines on the list.

2. Sign up for the wine tasting event that they will be having, usually on one of the first sea days. This is a great way to taste some different wines in a somewhat educational setting.

3. Once you find a wine that you think is OK for you, try mixing it with various foods that you might find in the buffet, especially cheeses, lunch meats, fruits, chocolates. You'll be surprised about the different hits that you can get from the same wine depending upon what you are eating with it. After that, try the same experiment with a dry wine that you might not otherwise like. When paired with food, dry/acidic wines take on a whole new personality.

Above all, have fun!

Marc

I don't see on HALs wine list that they even offer a reisling?? am I missing it or just not knowing what to look for?

I'm not sure what list you are looking at - possibly the wine package lists? Anyway, through looking at a lot of sites when I googled "holland america wine list", I found some photos of a fairly recent Noordam wine list. (It's on a site that CC probably would not like me disclosing). They do have a very inexpensive German Riesling, and the old standby, Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling. Actually I thought the wine lists were more extensive than the ones shown in the photos, so they may not be complete.

Thank you! Sylvias photos of the Noordam wine list are what I was looking for. You're a good googler, I don't know how I missed that one in my many googles for a HAL wine list. It's from a year ago but I'll bet it hasn't changed a whole lot. Now I can do a little research.

I'm not sure what list you are looking at - possibly the wine package lists? Anyway, through looking at a lot of sites when I googled "holland america wine list", I found some photos of a fairly recent Noordam wine list. (It's on a site that CC probably would not like me disclosing). They do have a very inexpensive German Riesling, and the old standby, Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling. Actually I thought the wine lists were more extensive than the ones shown in the photos, so they may not be complete.

Archived