Anyone use insurance?

hulamoon

Another question about pre-existing conditions - my mother-in-law is 93 years old. As in a lot people her age she has several ongoing problems. She isn't going on the cruise but if she should happen to pass away and we can't go do you think it would be considered a pre-existing condition or just old age?

I think it would be considered pre-existing conditions, --it has for us with elderly parents--but you should really check out carefully what is covered with any insurance policy.

We vacation often and have elderly parents. We have always purchased insurance for pre-existing conditions because of their health issues and have cancelled three trips because of health crisis--one Europe land and river cruise, one China land and Yangtze cruise, one Med cruise with some land touring.

All three of the cancellations have been fully reimbursed by our insurance company, after getting the proper documentation from doctors, etc., that real and serious health problems did occur.

Someone asked earlier what company we used; I am embarrassed to say that I'm not sure on the three cancelled trips; I think it was TravelGuard, but I notice that our last insurnace for our 2008 cruise (which we didn't need to use, thank goodness) was with Travel Insured. Our TA (personal friend) sets up the insurance for us, knowing our needs as to elderly parents, and we just pay the bill! It's been more than worthwhile for us, as all three of these trips were very expensive, at least for us.

Also, we are now Platinum on Princess and I see that one perk is that we are upgraded to Princess Gold insurance. We've never bought the cruise line insurance before, preferring to use outside insurers because of our special needs. Does anyone know if the Gold insurance with Princess does include pre-existing conditions for family members, especially the elderly, and if it is now worthwhile for us to buy Princess insurance?

I called Access America (that is the brochure I have) and asked the question. She said that if the medication hadn't been changed in the previous three months from when the insurance is purchased it wouldn't be considered a pre-existing condition. So if she passed away from a heart attack and had been taking the same heart medication for years it would be covered. If her heart medication had been changed recently and she had a heart attack it sounds like it wouldn't be covered.

We are going on RCCL and have purchased insurance with our cruise before through them. When I made this reservation I asked for insurance but it does not show on my invoice. My question is any advise on using the cruise line insurance or private insurance? Thanks for your help.

Some people think they get better deals privately, others are concerned that if the cruise line goes down your insurance will be useless.

For us we want a policy that covers cancelling for any reason and includes preexisting family medical conditions. We use insuremytrip.com. Some cruiselines have very good deals on insurance, half price right now.

Does this answer your question?

We usually buy insurance for the evacuation coverage. The ships rolls right, you roll left, and next thing you know you've fallen down the stairs and the life flight helicopter is on its way. $25K later, you would wish you had travel insurance. We also live on the East coast of Florida so cruising during hurricane season can be fun :)

Another question about pre-existing conditions - my mother-in-law is 93 years old. As in a lot people her age she has several ongoing problems. She isn't going on the cruise but if she should happen to pass away and we can't go do you think it would be considered a pre-existing condition or just old age?

If she died from one of her ongoing medical conditions, it would be considered pre-existing. If she died because she was hit by a bus, then it would not be. (Sorry to sound so grim.) However, I am not a lawyer or insurance agent. You would really need to read your specific insurance policy. There are so many with so many different clauses that none of us can say with certainty how the insurer would handle it.

beachchick

We too have a 93 year old grandmother but she has taken us aside and told us in no uncertain terms that if she should pass away while we are on vacation she doesn't want us to come home early. She said we do everything for her while she is alive and able to appreciate us. However once she has passed away we cannot do anything anyway so we are to stay and enjoy our vacation while she "waits" in the cooling cell - her words not mine!!! She has standing orders to hold her if we are away until we get back and only to inform us then.

The old lady is amazing - my mom who is over 60 didn't want to travel on a particular occasion because Grandma wasn't too well. The old lady told he to get on with it and that being over 60 mean't she (my mom) didn't have the time to hang around and wait for her (grnadma) to die before she traveled...

Archived