Beverage Cards

ChiBearsSuperFan

Wanted to post this information to see if my research is correct. I also had a few questions. All prices include gratuity.

Wine Card

20 Pour Card - $ 77.63 (3.88 per glass)

10 Pour Card - $ 41.40 (4.14 per glass)

Cocktail Card

10 Drinks - $ 64.69 (6.47 per drink)

Premium alcohols are extra

Q: Is there a pre-determined drink list?

Q: Are well drinks not included?

Q: Drinks of the Day are cheaper than the average per drink price for the card?

Soda Card

20 Sodas - $ 20.70 (1.04 per soda)

Q: Do you get a full can or do you get a glass full?

Coffee Card

10 Coffees - $ 29.90 (2.99 per coffee)

If anyone could verify my information and/or answer my extra questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It appears your research is quite accurate. I will answer to what I can.

Wanted to post this information to see if my research is correct. I also had a few questions. All prices include gratuity.

Wine Card

20 Pour Card - $ 77.63 (3.88 per glass) yes

10 Pour Card - $ 41.40 (4.14 per glass) yes

Cocktail Card

10 Drinks - $ 64.69 (6.47 per drink) yes

Premium alcohols are extra

Q: Is there a pre-determined drink list? there is a menu that lists a wide assortment of cocktails

Q: Are well drinks not included? can only say that I was able to get an after dinner liqueur with the card

Q: Drinks of the Day are cheaper than the average per drink price for the card? yes

Soda Card

20 Sodas - $ 20.70 (1.04 per soda)

Q: Do you get a full can or do you get a glass full?

Coffee Card

10 Coffees - $ 29.90 (2.99 per coffee) yes and pastries/snacks at the cafe are then complimentary

If anyone could verify my information and/or answer my extra questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I believe the most flexibility is with the cocktail card. as mentioned above there is a wide assortment of cocktails to choose from. I used my card for drinks other than foufou cocktails, not sure if this was because of my choice or due to the particular bartender. As you can use the card for a martini I would imagine it could also be used for a well drink, but it might be cheaper just to sign for a well drink.

Hope this helps...

Rochelle

Can wine and beverage cards be shared? Could I get two glasses of wine at once on my 20 pour card and give one to my husband?

I believe the answer is yes. I bought a wine card on the Veendam last week ($36) and DW and I used it for simultaneous purchases.

Do you know if the store sells cans of pop that you can take to your room? We did that on one cruise with another line & then just got ice as we needed it.

I did not see canned pop for sale on board the Veendam ( Idoubt they would compete with the bars). We did stop at a Walmart before boarding and carried on a carton for our cabin which we consumed in the cabin. Of course, the steward kept ice on hand at all times.

Do you know if the store sells cans of pop that you can take to your room? We did that on one cruise with another line & then just got ice as we needed it.

I have not seen cans of pop sold in the store on the ship. You can bring pop and water as well as wine and champange on board with you. You can also purchase in the various ports and bring back on the ship. On the Ryndam last April I brought two cases of wine, a case of water and a case of pop with me. I placed a luggage tag on each and checked them at the pier with my suitcases and they arrived safe and sound in my cabin. :)

Wine brought to the dining room is subject to a corkage fee ( I believe the current rate is $18 per bottle), but there is no charge if consumed within your cabin. There are no fees associated with pop and water.

Rochelle

Can wine and beverage cards be shared? Could I get two glasses of wine at once on my 20 pour card and give one to my husband?

The answer is a definate yes. This comes in very handy especially at dinner when perhaps you both would like something different for wine, such as one would like red and one white. The cocktail cards can also be shared.

Rochelle

Thank you all for sharing your information. This is our 1st HAL cruise and my DH doesn't drink alcohol at all but does drink Coca Cola with no ice so knowing the soda can be flat and/or maybe not very cold really helped me out decide we will be taking our own. We'll have the room frig emptied by the steward and fill it up with what we bring. We'll be taking Coca Cola and bottled water. We also take the "on the go" packs of Crystal Lite for the water (fruity and no calories).

Scotch/Whiskey

Gift Order Price

(includes 15% service charge)

Seagrams 7

$ 29.90

Seagrams VO

$ 29.90

Cutty Sark

$ 32.20

Canadian Club

$ 32.20

Jim Beam

$ 34.50

Johnnie Walker Red

$ 36.80

J&B Rare

$ 36.80

Ballentine's

$ 40.25

Crown Royal

$ 42.55

Jameson Irish

$ 42.55

Dewars

$ 48.30

Jack Daniels

$ 55.20

Chivas Regal 12 yrs

$ 66.70

Johnnie Walker Black

$ 77.05

Cognac

Hennessy VS

$ 93.15

Remy Martin VSOP

$ 97.75

Remy Martin XO

$ 225.40

Gin

Beefeater

$ 32.20

Tanqueray

$ 41.40

Bombay Sapphire

$ 42.55

Liqueurs

Southern Comfort

$ 36.80

Kahlua

$ 36.80

Bailey's Irish Cream

$ 46.00

Sambuca - Opal Nera

$ 47.15

Tia Maria

$ 49.45

Amaretto

$ 51.75

Cointreau

$ 55.20

Drambuie

$ 58.65

Grand Marnier

$ 74.75

Vodka

Smirnoff

$ 27.60

Skyy Vodka

$ 28.75

Finlandia

$ 29.90

Stolichnaya

$ 29.90

Absolut

$ 32.20

Absolut Citron

$ 32.20

Tanqueray Sterling

$ 35.65

Grey Goose

$ 69.00

Chopin

$ 70.15

Belvedere

$ 70.15

Rum

Myers

$ 32.20

Bacardi Gold

$ 34.50

Bacardi White

$ 35.65

Sherry

Sherry Harvey's Medium

$ 57.50

Tio Pepe

$ 57.50

Tequila

Jose Cuervo Gold

$ 34.50

Beverage Package

Gin & Tonic Package

$36.80

(One btl Beefeaters Gin, 3 Cans of Tonic Water)

Scotch & Soda Package

$36.80

(One btl of Cutty Sark, 3 Cans of Soda Water)

Vodka & Tonic Package

$34.50

(One btl of Smirnoff or Stolichnaya, 3 Cans of Tonic Water)

Bourbon & Coke Package

$39.10

(One btl of Jim Beam, 3 Cans of Coke)

Rum & Coke Package

$39.10

(One btl of Bacardi, 3 cans of Coke)

In Cabin Beer/Soft Drinks Packages

6 x Domestic Beers

$21.85

(Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller Lite)

6 x Imported Beers

$23.00

(Heineken, Amstel Light or Corona)

3 x Soft Drinks

$4.89

(Any soda product)

Red Bull

Miniature Bottles

All Minibar Liquor Items, each

$5.69

For clarification I called HAL yesterday;

Wine pack 10 or 20 glasses $77.63 for 20 glasses

Coffee Card (Explorations 10 c) $29.90 There is another coffee card that includes Starbucks. (8 cups)

Cocktail Card (10) $64.69

Soda Card

Coffee / Soda / Cocktail cards were all put on one, and they have now stopped doing that and gone back to separate cards

Hi there - can I purchase the wine card in advance?? One less thing to worry about when I board??

Thanks

Sandy

Yes, you can order it online and have it delivered to your cabin or the dining room. Since I do anytime dining I have mine delivered to the cabin. It's there on the desk when I get to the cabin. That way I don't have to try to track it down at dinner.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 2/08/09

Cans of soda are stocked in the mini bar in your cabin. You pay the same price per can if you bought a can of soda at the bar. Your room steward will restock your ice buck twice a day and if that’s not enough call room service and they will bring more.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Yes, you can order it online and have it delivered to your cabin or the dining room. Since I do anytime dining I have mine delivered to the cabin. It's there on the desk when I get to the cabin. That way I don't have to try to track it down at dinner.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 2/08/09

I have been trying to order these on line for a while. For a few weeks they vanished altogether from the gift selection now they are back but with a message that says "NO price found" I hope it will reappear soon! Only the soda cards have a price and are available to order at the moment!

With the cost of a soda at $1.04 "after leaving port", that being less than a whole can, and possibly flat, we're bringing our own. On our last Carnival cruise we purchased our "unlimited" $35 soda card while still in port and questioned why we were charged $44. It was tax. We found out later if we had waited until we were at sea we wouldn't have had to pay tax. Keep in mind that until the ship is 12 miles out, you have to pay tax on beverages of any kind, including soda. I'm not sure how that applies to cards purchased online. If you use it while in port they may include tax when they charge the card. It may seem like penny pinching but in these times every penny counts.

does that 12 mile rule apply for every port and can you buy bottles of spirit using the no tax rule?

It applied to US ports (such as Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, Port of Miami, etc.) and possibly Puerto Rico...not sure on that. I believe at most ports everything is duty free including liquor, which is one of the reasons why everyone buys it there.

I ordered all of mine the same day I posted the above price list.

HAL web site is short of user friendliness. They need major work IMHO. Links are confusing, the gift selection links are poorly described. Prices missing for most things.

I would love to give them some tips :):):)

Call a rep for prices if my list doesn't suffice. I just faxed the order to save time and frustration!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Community,

on another cruise related web-page I found 4 days ago an announcement about a package which one could also be included in this thread.

"Holland America Line is offering two sommelier wine options. Throughout all cruises, the Sommelier Wine Package provides wine tastings, events and selections. Hosted fleetwide in the Pinnacle Grill on sailings of 10 days or longer, the Sommelier Dinner pairs at least four glasses of wine with a six-course menu.

The dinner is offered once per cruise with the involvement of a culinary team of six including the executive chef and cellar master.

Prior to the event, participants meet for champagne or Kir Royal in the Explorer’s Lounge or Pinnacle Grill Wine Bar. Sample menu pairings include smoked salmon with a glass of Napa Valley Caymus Conundrum or cheeses paired with Inniskillen Icewine from the Niagara Peninsula.

The Sommelier Wine Package includes two wine tasting events, a Pinnacle Grill dinner, five vintage bottles, a HAL commemorative bottle and a wine-related gift."

My question to this community is – does someone knows about this product, and is it available on European 10 day cruises ??:confused:

The answer from a cruise booking professional about it is the following :

"It seems that Holland America puts out press releases before their operations departments are ready to give details……"

On HAL‘s web-side one can only find limited information under "for booked guest – onboard gifts – sommelier packages".

The description there is not really helpful. Especially because "Browse through the cellar in the Wine Navigator brochure" do not helps me, because where one can find this "cellar brochure" is missing…??

=> A link is so easy to integrate on a web-page. This is would be meanwhile a good merchandising - and a perfect client service behavior.

Many thanks for your help and answers

happy cruising to everybody

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

1a9e527468f45e24344692102efb55de.png

And already in our pipeline :

ac3818e1c6f0a0d624d514eb053ecbdd.png

I noticed the list of beers available seems to be very limited. Our favorite choice of beer is normally Guinness. Is this type of beer available on the ship? We will be sailing on the Zandaam in September on our Alaska cruise. Will we possibly see a selection of Pacific Northwest Microbrews or even Alaska Microbrews on the ship? We are hoping to see more of a variety in the types of beers stocked during our cruise.

It appears your research is quite accurate. I will answer to what I can.

I believe the most flexibility is with the cocktail card. as mentioned above there is a wide assortment of cocktails to choose from. I used my card for drinks other than foufou cocktails, not sure if this was because of my choice or due to the particular bartender. As you can use the card for a martini I would imagine it could also be used for a well drink, but it might be cheaper just to sign for a well drink.

Hope this helps...

Rochelle

Just wanted to check. Is it better to buy these cards online or onboard? Are you saving the cost of the gratuities?

Also are the wine cards and cocktail cards a good saving?

I don't drink but my husband does. He likes red wines - mainly shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon. Do they have those as house pours? He was wondering if the wine glass size ithey give you is 175 ml. We're travelling in April. Marguerite (Sydneyite)

The cost is the same wherever you buy them and a 15% gratuity is added to the price. If you drink they are a savings over the regular price. I don't know the size of the glass but one glass lasts me through dinner usually with some left over. The have a Cab and a Shiraz house wine.

Archived