Disneyland

emen822

We are going to Disneyland for one day before our cruise. Since we have never been there, but have been to DisneyWorld, is it worth the extra $100 ($25 more x 4) to get the park hopper pass? Regular day passes are $69, park hoppers are $94. The website doesn't say how late the parks would be open in April so I don't know if it is worth it to do both. I'm not sure if we would feel rushed. Any advice? TIA :D

Well, here's the difference as I see it. First Disney Grand California closes earlier then D-land. It is "about California" theme. Its also has more things designed for little kids and its not as busy. It has a section that is "tiny" to match little ones, like a caterpillar train, its a bug's life, Monsters Inc and a mini water spray thing etc. It also serves alcohol. It has some neat/unique shows you can see as well. It only has a few super rides worth going for, if that is your primary thing. Soaring California, the roller coaster and Tower or Terror are the best. You could spend all day there, or just a few hours and be satisfied. If your kids are young (like under 10) then I would say they would get a lot out of it and its worth considering. Then you have D-land where you could easily spend the entire day and not see and do everything. With this new promotion they have with getting in on your birthday for free, attendance has increased A LOT as have the lines. We go at least once to twice a month but if I only had one day I'd only do Disneyland. DGC is neat but to me, not enough to take away from the main attraction. Save the $30. However, if you want to have a lunch outside the usual Disney fare, you can visit the Grand California Hotel, off of Downtown Disney, and have a reasonable lunch in their snack bar by the pool or a really nice lunch at the Storeybook restuarant. The hotel itself is beautiful.

My girls are teenagers so those rides for the littles ones would not appeal to them. :) I love Disney so I would not want to be rushed in the park, even if it is a smaller version of DisneyWorld. I appreciate your feedback.

Being a Disney lover myself I would say that if you've never been it's a must. I couldn't imagine being right next to a Disney park I've never been too & not going! LOL. That being said - if you don't want to feel rushed, maybe start your day at Disneyland since it opens earlier (usually about 8am), head over to CA Adventure about 10 or 11 (I believe it opens about 10am) spend time there (it closes earlier) and then finish your day back at Disneyland since it says open late (midnight?). You should be able to get much accomplished that way - and not too rushed. They are literally right next to each other so it's very easy to walk back & forth. I'm sure if you've been to Disney World you've seen much of the same things you will see at Disneyland so that's why I'm thinking a little less time there is ok for you. Hope this helps. Have fun! I can't wait go back myself! :D

My girls are teenagers so those rides for the littles ones would not appeal to them. :) I love Disney so I would not want to be rushed in the park, even if it is a smaller version of DisneyWorld. I appreciate your feedback.

Lets get something straight here. Disneyland is not a smaller version of Disneyworld. Disneyworld is a bigger version of Disneyland. Disneyland came first, by about sixteen years.

I'm going to have to check out the free birthday pass and get the details. I believe you have to be a resident of California.

No this is for everyone, I think you may have to register on their website first though. If I had only one day, I would stick with Disneyland. It is not worth the extra money to do both. The only time we do both is when they offer a park hopper pass for residents for the same price as single admission. There simply just isn't enough there.

The birthday promotion is for everyone =) I am a premium season pass holder...LOVE DISNEY! But in my opinion if I only had one day, I would skip California Adventure Park and only do Disney...

however...they are doing extensive remodeling and add ons to the park, so in a couple years when all is completed, then I believe Cali Adv will be nore appealing! Of all the Disney parks, it is the least inticing and fun...except maybe Disney MGM lol

Thanks everyone! I'm just going to stick with Disneyland. We aren't buying the tickets until we get there that day so if we see CA and change our minds, we can get both parks. But I'd rather have a leisurely day with Mickey. :D

IMO, I wouldn't try to do both parks in one day. I've lived in so. California all my life, and I have only been to CA adventure once. That was enough. I'm glad I saw it, but it isn't my favorite. But as for doing both, if you really want to experience all either park has to offer, each one really requires a whole day. If you DO do both, I would recommend planning it so that you'll be at CA adventure when the electrical parade is on.

I think Disneyland itself is enough to fill up an entire day. California Adventure is fun but if you havent been to DL in a while I would assume seeing some of the classic attractions and trying some new things would be priority. I would just get the one park pass

No this is for everyone, I think you may have to register on their website first though. If I had only one day, I would stick with Disneyland. It is not worth the extra money to do both. The only time we do both is when they offer a park hopper pass for residents for the same price as single admission. There simply just isn't enough there.

Tried to register last night so I can get this for my girl (my birthday falls on a Monday during the school year, so that's a no go), but got some sort of message about my age not being right (I plugged in my birthyear exactly as was indicated). So will have to try again and see if I need to email them. Maybe it thinks I'm too old.

Tried to register last night so I can get this for my girl (my birthday falls on a Monday during the school year' date=' so that's a no go), but got some sort of message about my age not being right (I plugged in my birthyear exactly as was indicated). So will have to try again and see if I need to email them. Maybe it thinks I'm too old.[/quote']

I registered a few months ago and nobody is older than I am!! :eek: I think this promo is genius marketing. I'd guess 3-4 paying guests will accompany each freebie. And they will all spend on food, souveniers, etc. The incremental cost of each free admission is probably a few dollars at most.

I spent my birthday at Disneyland earlier this month. They send you an email 2 weeks in advance that has a PDF doc with a barcode attached. You print that out and take it to a ticket booth along with a photo-ID that shows your birth date, and they give you a one day "Happy Birthday" ticket. You can also go to City Hall once inside Disneyland and get a birthday button to wear, and all the cast members will wish you happy birthday when they see you. I'd say that about 5% of the people there that day were wearing birthday buttons.

The Saturday before MLK day is usually a relatively quiet time with the afternoon lines for big rides reaching about an hour (we tend to do the popular rides early and do things like the train in the afternoon.) The crowd seemed a little larger this year, but not huge, so it's hard to tell if the birthday promotion is bringing more people in. The weather was also hot and sunny, which increases attendance as well.

My birthday's in May, which would have been a good time to go -- not as many people on vacation, and the weather tends to be cooler here than in July. But you can only use it on your birthday, and my b-day won't work. The girl's birthday would be better in that she isn't at school in August....but it will probably be very hot. But since it doesn't cost to sign up, I might as well for her day.

Disney's marketing dept really got it right with this promotion...once you get in with your free pass and your family members have paid for their passes, Disneyland now offers you to apply your days ticket to a season pass, which they now are financing for you...no interest charge, no credit check...making Disneyland season passes affordable and accessible to virtually anyone, with the lowest pass just around 5.00 a month...now how about that for marketing in this economy when season passes should be down.... I LOVE IT!!

Disney's marketing dept really got it right with this promotion...once you get in with your free pass and your family members have paid for their passes, Disneyland now offers you to apply your days ticket to a season pass, which they now are financing for you...no interest charge, no credit check...making Disneyland season passes affordable and accessible to virtually anyone, with the lowest pass just around 5.00 a month...now how about that for marketing in this economy when season passes should be down.... I LOVE IT!!

Which is great if you live around there and/or go several times a year.

I am a Disneyland premium passholder as well and here is my take on your situation. California adventure is ONLY in California, it might be a great opportunity to go to this park since the one in Florida does not have California adventure. They are planning a lot of remodeling to the park so it might be kind of cool to see how the park "was" before they change it all, like the main entrance and the golden gate and all of the other things in there that they are planning to change, like the themes to the rides. I am 20 and my boyfriend and I spend a lot of time there they have all of the "big" kid rides that i would'nt want to miss. I think whichever option you choose you will have a magical experience. You could always play it by ear too, if you buy the one day pass to only disneyland and then feel that you want to go into the other park you can simply upgrade and just pay the difference. Hope your disneyland trip is awesome!!!!

Archived