Best Destination for kids.

oavcech95

It really depends what you're looking for in a vacation. And, the age of the kids! Are you trying to broaden the kid's education, or is this simply a time to be a family and have fun? Any of the Caribbean locations have lots of fun things for families with kids. Many kids get quite bored with visiting ruins, churches, historical things....they want to get on a waverunner and go! Or do a zip-line, swim, snorkle....things like that!

You may want to talk to a travel agent and see what they recommend.

My son has 16 cruises under his belt and he is 8 years old. We are embarking on his 17th cruise tomorrow.

Let me be frank... kids are wonderful little travelers. They are easy to please. They love the ship. For kids the ship is their destination. All cruise lines cater to kids and have youth programs. So, I would suggest that you pick a place that you want to go and everything else will fall into line.

I have done 2 Transatlantics, 3 European, 1 Alaskan, 1 Canadian and several Caribbean with my son. He likes the ship- period. He could care less about the ports.

Honestly kids like aquariums, theme parks and they love to swim. Most kids under 10 could give too hoots about sightseeing or scenery. They are involved in having fun, playing and meeting other kids.

Sure my son loved Pompeii- he got to run around, climb on walls, skip on big stepping stones and he had his little friend, Elizabeth, from the ship. The point is- he wasn't there because it was old, historic or beautiful. It was a giant playground.

If you want to go to Europe go- your kids will be happy. If you want to go to the Caribbean-go. The kids will be happy. Don't plan your vacations around the kids. They will be happy whereever you go. Kids make their own fun.

The destination depends on what you're looking for with regards to kids and cruises. Do you want lots of other kids for your kids to spend time with? If that's so, Australia will be just like your Infinity cruise with many less kids than other destinations. I've done a few cruises in that area of the world and there were absolutely no kids on board those ships. They tend to attract older couples and mature singles regardless of the cruise line.

If you want companions for your kids, any destination like the Med, Baltic or Alaska in summer would have lots and lots of kids. The Caribbean in summer or during school holiday time also attracts families. If having companions for your kids on any cruise is the most important decision, then make certain you book your cruise when the schools in the US and Europe are on vacation. Otherwise, you're not going to see many kids on board at all.

There are always more kids on 7 day itineraries than longer ones. There are always more kids on Summer, Christmas and Easter cruises.

Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian tend to attract families with children and there might be twice as many kids on these cruises than on other lines regardless of the time of year.

I can highly recommend the summer European cruises. There are just enough kids to where they make friends- but not hordes of kids. I have done the Eastern and Western Med. and the British Isles all in the summer time and there were about 150 children on Princess, Celebrity and Holland America. All of these cruises were 12 day ones.

If you do a summer cruise on Costa or MSC in the Med there will be many families with kids because these lines allow kids to cruise for free in the summer. I have heard that these cruises are pretty awful and that the families don't have any control over their kids- allow them to run around in the diningroom etc.

My favorite cruises have been the transatlantic, european and alaskan cruises.

Archived