Upgrade at Port question?

cruizn2escape

Most times the ships go out full. They may have sold the last few cabins for a redcued price but they try to sell all cabins prior to embarkation.

There is always the chance someone cancels last minute and they might let you purchase an upgrade but it won't be a bargain.

Sorry....almost without exception, no.

Modern cruise ships usually sail full, even if it's necessary to do super sales at the last minute.

However....in this new economy, you may find exceptions.

One further caution - I know of someone who'd hoped to do the same, and it was possible, but the price was prohibitive (the "rack rate").

Sorry - KK and Sail handled this while I was still typing....

We got upgraded from an SY to an SA at the check-in counter on our Westerdam cruise last May. No prior notification of the upgrade until we got to the counter. Even our online boarding passes printed the day before had our SY cabin number on them. I would say based on personal experience that it does happen, but is definitely not the norm.

We left out of Tampa w/RCCL in Jan/2002. Just for the heck of it, I asked as we were checking in if there were any upgrades available. We were provided a two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite (it was GORGEOUS) for a total cost of $300 more (for the suite, not per person). Travel was still recovering from 9/11 and maybe that had something to do with it? I have tried to upgrade on the 5 or 6 cruises since then and have had no luck.

Normally they will do all they can to fill the ships well before final payment is due. Then if they have cancellations after final payment, they will upgrade exisiting passengers...return passengers...to free up the lower cost cabins which are easier to resell than suites etc.

But the one thing we have learned about cruising...never say never!!! Because the first time you do...the cruise line will make a fool of you by doing exactly what you said they would never do!!! Trust me...been there...done that!!! LOL!!

Archived