Noordam 1/3/09 review

CaroleSS

I have broken our trip down into segments, one segment for each of our shore excursions and this segment will review the ship and crew. To prevent you from having to read through all types of information you might not be interested in, I will post the various aspects in separate entries (the name will tell you what it pertains to). Let the reviewing begin!!

Early on, we got involved in the Roll Call for our cruise. For those who read, but don’t post, you are missing out on a wonderful experience! We met SO many wonderful people on the forum and it truly enhanced out cruise experience.

Based upon some of the forums, we decided to have a Roll Call Meet & Greet. I contacted the Noordam representative and she told me that she would arrange a space for us. She told me that they could only provide coffee, tea and water for us as refreshments. I asked about cookies or appetizers and was told they would be $1 each!! I was totally shocked as food on the ship is free! I decided that we would take care of bringing things to the party, so relented and made the reservation. When we boarded the ship and got to our stateroom, there was a note from the Restaurant Manager saying that hot hors d’ourves AND an open bar would be provided! It was a great extra!

They had an area of the Crow’s Nest set aside for us the next day. We were greeted by the ship’s captain, the Cruise Director, the Restaurant Manager and the Hotel Manager! They gave a little talk about the ship and had time for questions. I was VERY impressed by the service which we received. It certainly left us with a wonderful impression of the ship and crew!!

Thanks to all on the Noordam for making that possible.

For the most part, the crew on the Noordam was exceptional! We opted for fixed seating and just never go around to dining at the Pinnacle Grill. The food was already outstanding so we just didn’t feel it was necessary. Some of our friends did and said it was outstanding.

At first I was surprised with the portion sizes, but quickly found that they weren’t ‘small’, but ‘right’-sized! By the time you have an appetizer (or two), soup, and entrée and dessert you were stuffed!! Just in case you might still have extra space, you were more than welcome to as for more of anything. I found the portion sizes to be just right and the presentation was always beautiful!

Our dinner waiter, Joko and his assistant Doddy were the BEST. Joko was always there first thing with our dinner drink requests. Every time we told him how wonderful the food was, he jokingly said, “Great, I cooked it myself!!”. He always went out of his way to do just that little bit extra to make our meal special. The last two nights he brought us some stir fried vegetables that he truly did make himself just for us…and they were GREAT!

Most of our other meals we had at the Lido deck. The selection and quality were always top notch. Our sea days breakfasts were done via room service. They always were exactly as we ordered, were always delivered on time and most surprisingly, for any room service order, arrived HOT! We ate our breakfast on the balcony – ahhhh, I felt sorry for all those we left back home (NOT)!

One thing that we found odd was the attentiveness of the bar folk – most notably those in the Crow’s Nest. We had brought along with us the new $1 gold dollars to use as tips. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to the bill, but my husband always gave the waiter an additional coin with each drink. On previous cruises, once they figured out that he gave extra tips, they always were very attentive. We did not see that on this trip. Not only did they not seem attentive, but it almost seemed like they went out of their way to NOT help! Of all the places that we went, the piano bar had the best service followed by some on the Lido Deck. I know that they have a lot of people on the ship to please, but they certainly have been doing this long enough to have it figured out by now! I was left a little ‘non-plused’ by them.

We regularly went to the Crow’s Nest for happy hour. We found the staff there to be slow and not terribly helpful. On one occasion I noted that it was 5:20 (happy hour ends at 5:30) so I motioned to the waiter to come over. He acknowledged my request, but did not come right over. We kept talking and when the waiter come over I put in my order. He quickly informed me that happy hour was now over (it was 5:31) and that drinks were no longer two-for-one!! I was shocked!! I certainly did not experience this type of customer service on a Holland ship!

Overall, I would rate the food and food service on our trip as excellent! The drink service left something to be desired (maybe we’ll call it an ‘area for improvement’).

We didn’t participate in a lot of the ship’s provided entertainment as we were too busy bonding with our new found Cruise Critic friends, but we did participate in a few. The ones we did attend were very good. We went to a few games of Bingo, but I’m just not an avid player. We went to some of the culinary experiences, participated in some of the Trivia competitions and watched some of the pool games. What we saw were very well organized and we enjoyed them. There is enough going on to keep you VERY busy if you want, but there are plenty of places for you to escape to if you want that. The aft pool is adults only, so it was a quiet place to go to grab a drink and enjoy the sunshine and pleasant conversation.

We only went to one of the nightly shows, not because it wasn’t good, but because we discovered the piano bar! I’m not a singer, but Larry (the pianist) encouraged everyone to sing and it turned out to be terrific fun! We went there most nights had a blast!

We thought the entertainment on the ship was nicely varied and plentiful enough to keep anyone busy!

We had reserved a balcony guarantee room. A few weeks before our cruise we found out that the upgrade fairy had visited us and we were assigned stateroom 8131. The room was just under the aft Lido pool. We were concerned about the possibility of noise so we searched the forums. Some of the posters said noise was an issue and some said it wasn’t. We found a lot of noise in the morning as they drug chairs around and than again in the evening as they packed up for the night. We had friends who were just around the corner at the very back of the ship. They too heard a good bit of noise and they had trash every morning on their deck which had blown or been thrown off the Lido deck.

I won’t say that the noise was overwhelming, but you certainly could hear it and if you are a light sleeper it might cause you problems.

What we did find appealing about being in the back of the ship was it was so convenient to everything we wanted to get to.. We just went up one level and we were right at the Lido restaurants one way and the aft pool the other. The dining rooms were on the third floor just below us. Rarely did we use the elevator – a big help in working off all the food we were eating!!!

One thing that really surprised us was that our mini-bar was never restocked. On past cruises it was restocked every morning, but we had to go to the Lido deck to get our own from which we restocked on several occasions. If I were to complain about anything in our room, that would be what I would complain about. Our room steward was good otherwise, nothing stellar to note, but he certainly performed his duties and was very pleasant.

We prefer to have a balcony room, only so we can have a quiet place to escape to after a long day (or a place to have a romantic breakfast on at-sea days). We found the balcony rooms quite spacious with plenty of closet space. We did find that there is a drawer under the foot of the bed which has additional blankets. Those came in handy as my husband likes it cooler than I do when he sleeps.

One afternoon, after a pleasant day ashore, we met friends at the Lido deck for a drink and to compare notes of our day’s events. We decided to play a game of cribbage and mentioned how nice it would be to have popcorn. We knew that they had popcorn during movies, so I went on the hunt for someone to make us some popcorn.

First I went to the Lido chefs. There I was met with a blank stare then, “They only make popcorn 30 minutes before the movie”. After receiving this response a few times, I went to the movie theater. No one was there, nor was anyone at either of the bars around the theater. I then headed for the Front Desk. I pleasantly inquired if they could send someone to the theater to make popcorn. Once again I got the stare and “They only make popcorn 30 minutes before the movie”. I asked if it might be possible to make an exception and make a batch. This request was met with a ‘how dare you’ stare. Empty-handed, I headed back to the Lido .

That night at dinner, the Restaurant Manager came by our table, so I took the opportunity to ask why it was that we couldn’t get popcorn. His response was, “They only make popcorn 30 minutes before the movie”. I suggested that popcorn tends to make you thirsty, thirsty means ordering drinks, drinks equals profit, so I could not see any reason they would NOT offer popcorn. I added that peanuts are offered and I was SURE popcorn was cheaper than peanuts. He finally asked when we wanted popcorn again.. We usually met friends at the Crow’s Nest for 2-for-1 happy hour so we suggested then. He said he would ensure we had popcorn.. He told us to simply ask anyone at the Lido and they would get it for us..

The next day we excitedly went to the Crow’s Nest. When we inquired about the popcorn, our waiter responded, “They only make popcorn 30 minutes before the movie”. When we explained that we had made specific arrangements with the Restaurant Manager, our waiter argued with us! We finally go hold of a ‘white shirt’ who agreed to make a call to verify our claim! Eventually he bought us three small popcorn bags, half full, with popcorn we suspect was made at the last night’s movie!! We were STEAMED!! This was in no way what I would have expected. With all the supposed customer service abounding, why was it so difficult to get a lousy bag of popcorn!!!

After we ate our morsels, several others inquired about where we got the popcorn. I truly feel that if they were to simply roll the popcorn machine (which they already have) and to fire it up during happy hour, lots of people would have showed up and I seriously doubt any would go to waste!! If not for happy hour, how about for an hour at the middle Lido pool?? It seemed like such a simple request and it turned out to be the most awful display of customer-no-service I’ve ever experienced!!!

Holland management – if you’re out there – POPCORN!!!

We only went to one of the nightly shows, not because it wasn’t good, but because we discovered the piano bar! I’m not a singer, but Larry (the pianist) encouraged everyone to sing and it turned out to be terrific fun! We went there most nights had a blast!

Enjoying your review. When we sailed on the Noordam over Thanksgiving, the piano bar with Larry Steele was our favorite spot each night.........

Looking forward to the rest of your review................

Thank you for review.

We have sailed on HAL for years.

Popcorn is only available before the movies -- never ever anywhere else on HAL ships. Most of the ships don't even bother to make the popcorn right before the movies -- we have found it to be stale!!

The cold appetizers vary by ship and time -- we gave up on them a couple of years ago. By the time we ordered a cocktail -- got it -- were told the appetizers were on their way -- we got to the lounch at 5 -- served as late as 5:30 -- no appetizers -- we had to gulp down our drinks -- dinner was at 5:45 -- no happy hour!!

We were on a 10-day cruise with 3 sea days and 3 formal nights, 2 of them were on sea days but since we had 2 back-to-back-sea days they didn't do two formals in a row.

We did have the Master Chef's dinner. It was on the last of the 3 formal nights (and the last of our sea days - the night before HMC on the way home).

Carole, thanks for this fabulous review! I'll be on this ship for my first HAL cruise in a few months. Wow, that's really strange about the bar service, especially since you tipped them extra. I hope it improves during my trip! I also agree with you about the popcorn (it would tend to make people thirstier;)) and can't understand why they wouldn't offer it more often.

Lori

Thank you.

We have sone quite a few 10 day cruises -- and now we know exactly when we will NOT be in the dining room -- did Master Chef dinner 4 times (3 times too many) nad have avoided about 20 others.

Sorry to hear the Master Chef dinner is back. :( We lucked out and didn't have it on the Noordam back in Nov.

I guess I'm missing something about the Master Chef's dinner!!

We had a wonderful dinner of lobster bisque, Surf & Turf (lobster and steak) followed by Baked Alaska (we requested Surf & Surf and they were more than willing to provide us with two lobster tails!). The only 'specticle' was a parade of all the wait staff before the dessert. It was a fun night and everyone there seemed to enjoy it.

We viewed it as dinner and a show. We did not view it as 'tacky' so I am not understanding the disappointment. Why don't you guys like it?

Thank you for the review. We've noticed the same lack of service in the Crows Nest on our past few cruises. We'll be on the February 12th sailing and will let you know if the service is better. I think we'll be changing our Pinnacle Grill reservation. We don't care for the Master Chef dinner.

I guess I'm missing something about the Master Chef's dinner!!

We had a wonderful dinner of lobster bisque, Surf & Turf (lobster and steak) followed by Baked Alaska (we requested Surf & Surf and they were more than willing to provide us with two lobster tails!). The only 'specticle' was a parade of all the wait staff before the dessert. It was a fun night and everyone there seemed to enjoy it.

We viewed it as dinner and a show. We did not view it as 'tacky' so I am not understanding the disappointment. Why don't you guys like it?

This does not sound like the Master Chef dinner.

This sounds just like the normal Farwell Dinner with the Baked Alaska Parade.

Here is a description and menu of the Master Chef Dinner:

Master Chef Dinner

There were only 2 dining times for this: 5:45 and 8:30.

It was on day #7 - an Informal night.

The group "The Mix" from the Crow's Nest played the music about 80% of the time (now it is the HAL Cats). The crew staff and dancers from the production shows led the waitstaff in the dance routines. The lead singer from the cast did the opening song. It was the only time she sang. Since she was on the steps, halfway down, many people didn't even know that she was singing.

When we entered the dining room there was already a Parker House with various seeds on top on the butter plate which was under your chef's toque and menu. The menu was a special cut out showing a spatula, cork screw, rolling pin, chopping knife and big spoon.

Then we had the Ballet Service. This was the only time we had a singer. The waitstaff entered both levels of the dining room to the tune of "Swan Lake". The assistant waiter held the try of napkins while the waiter placed them in our laps. The crew and cast had to help out here in some sections as there weren't enough waitstaff to quickly get the napkins to everyone.

Act 1 - Once again the waitstaff, crew and cast entered the dining room carrying the Chef's Amuse Surprise -- mushroom mousse with asparagus en bouche. This was a tiny empty puff pastry with a tiny dab of mouuse on top.

After those dishes were cleared away, the waitstaff. crew and cast again assembled in the hall and entered the dining room to begin Act 2 -- The Swing Service. The crew and staff "mixed" the salad in HUGE salad bowls to music -- waitstaff get throwing in fake tomatoes, peppers, etc -- some of the waitstaff tried to juggle the peppers -- very funny. Show Salad Spectacular: menu said that we were to have assorted baby greens, pepper rings, mushrooms, scallions & cherry tomatoes with a honey mustard dressing. What we actually got was a tomato stuffed with the assorted baby greens, enoki mushrooms with chopped up onion, scallions and peppers sprinkled on top and the honey mustard dressing drizzled over everything.

Then the waiters came around and took our orders for the Starters and Entrees.

Starters:

1.Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare with avocado: cold smoked, pickled and chipotle-hot-smoked salmon with lime-avocado-tomato sauce. DH had this -- loved it the first segment. 2nd segment -- it was mostly BIG chunks of onion and very little salmon.

2.Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough served with a cinnamon-spiced apple cranberry compote -- have had this many times in the past -- love it -- it was excellent the first segment -- not completely heated through -- brie -- wasn't even melted a little bit.

3.Lobster Bisque sensuously smooth classical shellfish soup enhanced with aged French cognac and whipped cream. We both have had this in the past -- it's okay -- not one of our favorites.

4.Oxtail En Crote - flavorful classical soup slow-simmered and served in a crisp pastry crust -- excellent both segments.

Entrees:

1.Tagliatelli with Roasted Chicken & Portobello Muchrooms tossed in olive oil and lemon cream.

2.Sauteed shrimps "Provencales" scented with Mediterranean herbs, tomato concassee', florets of crisp, tender broccoli and sticky rice -- you got 4 medium size shrimps -- some people ordered 3 of this dish in order to get more shrimp -- which sent the waiter into a tizzy since they were on a time schedule.

3.Apricot Glazed Salmon with Soya Garlic and Ginger Spalsh -- I have had this on other ships and love it. 1st segment -- excellent RED sockeye salmon -- 2nd segment -- pink salmon -- tasteless.

4.Duck Breast a l'Orange - the old time favorite, oven roasted until crisp amd served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised red cabbage, pea pods, carrots julienne and William potatoes. DH had this the first segment -- excellent.

5.Whole Roasted Tenderloin of Beef on an earthy bed of calvados-spiked mushroom ragout, with vegetable bundle, braised onion & horseradish mashed potato. DH had this the second time -- beef was tough and fatty.

6.Wild Mushroom Strudel - selected forest mushroom spinach & feta cheese rolled in Phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky. Served with a Thai red curry sauce and a timbale of basmati rice.

Act 3 - The Final Service --- the waitstaff, crew and cast began to assemble out in the hallway around 7:15 for this. Then they came parading into the dining room carrying trays of Chef's Rudi's "Hat's Off" dessert. Some of the cast and crew members had bottles of fake champagne that when they popped the corks, some bottles sent out streamers aimed towards the chandeliers which also landed on the people and tables directly below. Other fake botles of champagne gave off smoke. We have had this dessert before. There is a small piece of cake resembling a peg that holds the chef's hat in place - the chef's hat is made out of white chocolate - chef's hat conceals a small amount of chocolate mousse. It was excellent the 1st segment. The second segment -- the cake was flavored in mint -- the mousse was flavored in mint. All you could taste was mint!! A lot of white chocolate went to waste. Many people could not (including us) break the hat up -- it was too thick in places.

]Based upon some of the forums, we decided to have a Roll Call Meet & Greet. I contacted the Noordam representative and she told me that she would arrange a space for us. She told me that they could only provide coffee, tea and water for us as refreshments. I asked about cookies or appetizers and was told they would be $1 each!! I was totally shocked as food on the ship is free! I decided that we would take care of bringing things to the party, so relented and made the reservation. When we boarded the ship and got to our stateroom, there was a note from the Restaurant Manager saying that hot hors d’ourves AND an open bar would be provided! It was a great extra!

They had an area of the Crow’s Nest set aside for us the next day. We were greeted by the ship’s captain, the Cruise Director, the Restaurant Manager and the Hotel Manager! They gave a little talk about the ship and had time for questions. I was VERY impressed by the service which we received. It certainly left us with a wonderful impression of the ship and crew!!

Thanks to all on the Noordam for making that possible.

Hi!

THANKS for the GREAT review!

Can you please tell me what time that you had your M & G? I'm guessing that it was the first sea day. We are planning one for our cruise on 3/14 on the Noordam.

THANKS in advance! :)

Pat

A Noordam rep will have to schedule the M&G – I called Holland first and spoke with them, but had to send an email detailing my request for it to be 'official'.

Ours was on the first full day (an at sea day) from 10:30 - 11:30. I'm guessing the time and day will depend upon your itinerary.

We all agreed (via the Roll Call page) to wear plaid ribbons for the first day or two so that we could identify ourselves to one another. We also had an informal meet & greet by the aft Lido pool after muster. That is where we had the most fun!

Other posts I read had people who brought something indicative of their home state/country to the M&G and they had a drawing to swap gifts. We just had too many people and not enough interest, so we didn't do that, but it certainly sounded like a lot of fun!

I put together nametags with everyone's posting name, real name and where they were from. That helped to put a name and face together. We did a lot of planning on the message boards too. We did our own excursion planning and got others involved through the boards. It really worked out well and it saved us some ca$h and we thought we got more personalized service doing it that way as well (did some things that were a little off the beaten path - not so crowded and certainly didn't feel as if we were being herded like cattle). Definitely the way to go in my book!

Archived