Permanent resident, non-citizen docs...I need some info please

BettyBurrito

Hi All...

I'm looking to book a cruise soon (it's been waayyy too long!) and one person in my party is a U.S. Alien Resident (she has a "green card").

According to the Carnival website it says: "U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card (green card)"

So I'm going to call my PVP soon but I also want to see if anyone else here has experience with this and if only the Alien Resident Card is needed?

I would hate to be told one thing by Carnival and then have her boarding denied at the port. She doesn't have a passport and that would be a nightmare to obtain.

Betty :)

There have been recent threads on this...I always thought you also needed a passport, but one recent thread says a current green card is all you need. But that is to re-enter the US. Countried the ship visits may have stiffer regulations. It is best not to rely on information from a discussion forum for definitive info. EM

Hi All...

I'm looking to book a cruise soon (it's been waayyy too long!) and one person in my party is a U.S. Alien Resident (she has a "green card").

According to the Carnival website it says: "U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card (green card)"

So I'm going to call my PVP soon but I also want to see if anyone else here has experience with this and if only the Alien Resident Card is needed?

I would hate to be told one thing by Carnival and then have her boarding denied at the port. She doesn't have a passport and that would be a nightmare to obtain.

Betty :)

As others have said, you want to be in total compliance with the US State Dept. Booking a cruise and boarding a ship, you contact only cruise line employees. They have a vested interest in happy customers and full ships. HOWEVER, when the ship returns to the US, NOW the US Gov. Agents look at your documentation and decide if you will or will NOT be permitted to enter the US. A friend of ours with a green card did all that Carnival requested. Carnival examined his docs very closely before boarding. At the end of the cruise, Immigration FINED him $250.00 for improper documentation. Being a young single guy, he didn't have $250. left at the end of the cruise. They loaded him in a car and drove him to a nearby ATM so he could get the cash.

So have what CCL requests, but have what the State Dept. requests too. And get their list of requests in writing!

Dan

Your friend will be required to have a valid "green card" and a valid passport from the country of which he is a citizen....unless he has a waiver issued by the U.S. Government that he's come here for political asylulm.

The green card shows he has the right to live in the U.S.; the passport is required to identify him positively.

Source: 32 years in the travel industry.

That being said, you'd be better off calling the State Department for info. Each has his/her own special status......

One more thing: Depending upon his citizenship, he may also need Visa's or other documents to get off in certain ports. There are restrictions among the island nations of the Caribbean on who can come ashore and what they might need.

Thanks everyone for your speedy replies. Unfortunately, I think my friend is going to have to skip the cruise.

After all the research I've been doing and help from you all, she's decided it's probably to risky until she gets a new passport.

Thanks again!!!

Archived