Montreal transfers?

Hi All, first time posting but have been lurking for a time. Learning so much!!!

Taking the Maasdam out of Montreal in July 09. Had planned to arrive that day but with 40 minute transfer in Detroit and the horror stories in other threads, decided to come one day early. Problem: Staying at the Aloft Hotel Montreal Airport. Would it be better to taxi to port or go back to airport for Maasdam transfer the next day? There are two of us with one suitcase each.My TA quoted me $32 each person.

Great and informative site. Only been on one cruise many years ago.

Hey Fanpower...

The Montreal Trudeau Airport is quite a distance from downtown. if your looking for something to do the day you arrive i suggest you get a hotel downtown or in Old Montreal (vieux Montreal) Old Montreal will have considerably higer hotel rates although the XIX is actually not too bad and all old montreal is walking distance to pier. Downtown is most certainly the most active place full of shops and gastronomies.

If your arriving late and just want an airport hotel then no problem.

A taxi is most likely going to be the most economical...a taxi from the airport area to Old Port...will run approx $40.00 CDN. This will save greatly on Hollands $32.00 pp and i am assuming that is USD???

Just leave yourself a good amount of time depending on the day and time you are going to the port....highways into downtown can get really cramped :)

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Also...Just to add...The taxis from the airport are are flat rated....$38.00 into Downtown. Old Montreal should be about $40.00 just make sure you get the flat rate and they dont run the meter.

A new member and a montrealer. Old Montreal is a must. Notre Dame Basilica, Place Jacques Cartier evening stroll. Boutique Hotels on St Paul St West are a 3 min walk to the ship. Unique history museums, promenades in the old port. The sailors church with the angels mentioned in L Cohens song, Suzanne.

Hi All, first time posting but have been lurking for a time. Learning so much!!!

Taking the Maasdam out of Montreal in July 09. Had planned to arrive that day but with 40 minute transfer in Detroit and the horror stories in other threads, decided to come one day early. Problem: Staying at the Aloft Hotel Montreal Airport. Would it be better to taxi to port or go back to airport for Maasdam transfer the next day? There are two of us with one suitcase each.My TA quoted me $32 each person.

Here's the problem. There is a fixed price zone and the port is within the fixed price zone, but it's only fixed if you leave from the airport. Ask the person at the aloft if the taxi will honour the fixed price. If they won't, take the shuttle to the airport and take the taxi from the airport. If I'm correct, the fixed price is CAD $38.00 from the airport to anywhere in the fixed price zone. I wouldn't bother with the Maasdam transfer, unless you really wanted to pay extra.

The airport is in a weird sort of area that's quite industrial to the east/south and residential to the west/north. If you are looking for a few places around there to eat, besides the airport, there is Le Biftheque for steak and seafood that is east of there and there a Scores in the Dorval shopping centre if you are looking for something less formal and inexpensive. They serve barbecue chicken and ribs (it's a Montreal thing). Of course most of the hotels serve meals, though I'm nut sure if the aloft does, but when I stayed at the aloft in Philly, they didn't. The Dorval Hilton is next door and they have an excellent restaurant (though expensive). If all you want is just a donut and coffee, there is a Tim Horton's not too far (Tim Horton's). They also serve soup and sandwiches. There is a Dagwood's (sandwiches) And a Tutti-Frutti if you are looking for a place that specializes in breakfast.

no, no additional charge...I am in the travel industry her in Canada, and I haved used the aloft and am in montreal by air almost every week (1/2 french canadian as well;))

You most certainly can get a fixed price from the aloft and as stated is about 40.00 to Vieux Montreal (I have done it plenty of times)

Fixed price from YUL to Downtown is 38.00 but this is only to downtown.

How many people are going fanpower?

Sparkyboi, there are two of us.

Ephraim, Thanks for the food tips around the airport. We are arriving 6:30 pm so we will be hungry.

Gordon, I have been in Old Montreal many years ago but hubby has not. Plan to walk a little and maybe take carriage ride.Definitely plan to see Notre-Dame Church before boarding.

Wave to a French Canadiens. Ancestors were from this area in 1600s, then Illinois area, then Louisiana.

no, no additional charge...I am in the travel industry her in Canada, and I haved used the aloft and am in montreal by air almost every week (1/2 french canadian as well;))

You most certainly can get a fixed price from the aloft and as stated is about 40.00 to Vieux Montreal (I have done it plenty of times)

Fixed price from YUL to Downtown is 38.00 but this is only to downtown.

How many people are going fanpower?

The port is in the zone. Take my word for it.

(I run a B&B in Montreal, we know the exact zone. I've seen drivers try to play games with the zone as well (including one who claimed that the far size of the street wasn't in the zone.) Of course, when you mention the "Bureau du taxi et remorquage" they seem to fly right, quickly. They don't want to lose access to the airport. They have a special licence to be able to pick up fares at the airport. The map for the zone, in French is at http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/portal/docs/page/taxi_fr/media/documents/a_mtl_trudeau.pdf and the port is clearly in the zone.

In the west, the corner is bridge street and the river, so anywhere from the Victoria bridge to the Jacques Cartier bridge. I made an exact map at http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106386861552609535941.000461500eb0ea82cf5e4&ll=45.5037,-73.552437&spn=0.045718,0.11158&z=14 the port is at Rue Quai-King-Edward, if you want to look it up on the map.

Is your res at the Aloft non-refundable? JMHO but I would book a hotel in old Montreal and enjoy roaming the streets on a warm summer evening. The old part is very safe to walk around in, full of people in the summer. Lots of good restaurants to choose from. Stayed at the Marriott Springhill Suites there and got a very reasonable rate.

• 2 weeks later...
Is your res at the Aloft non-refundable? JMHO but I would book a hotel in old Montreal and enjoy roaming the streets on a warm summer evening. The old part is very safe to walk around in, full of people in the summer. Lots of good restaurants to choose from. Stayed at the Marriott Springhill Suites there and got a very reasonable rate.

We'll be staying at the Marriott S.Suites in May. How did you like it? The last time I stayed at a Marriott Suites, the bed was really hard - very unlike the other Marriott properties I stay at. Any recommendations?

I forgot to mention that you might want to try Hotwire and see what the price on Hotwire is for the aLoft in Montreal. It's a 3* in the Airport area with a shuttle, fitness, pool, business centre and high speed Internet.

Archived