jeans

New KAJO

I too will be wearing jeans during the day on our cruise - same as Moeve's. I don't wear them at night though. I wore them a lot during our time in Alaska last September when again it was cold.

I presume that we are able to wear jeans into the dining room for breakfast and lunch.

Jennie

I too will be wearing jeans during the day on our cruise - same as Moeve's. I don't wear them at night though. I wore them a lot during our time in Alaska last September when again it was cold.

I presume that we are able to wear jeans into the dining room for breakfast and lunch.

Jennie

In its dress code, Azamara makes no exception for breakfast or lunch in the dining room.

I posted a copy of the code for your convenience on page one of this thread.

Smooth sailing to you...

I see no problem with wearing a nice button shirt and dark, tear-free, jeans to the dining room for men, ... what one wears to dinner is less important than how one comports oneself.

Actually, the dress code specifies no jeans in the dining room.

Is that a bad thing?

In its dress code, Azamara makes no exception for breakfast or lunch in the dining room.

I posted a copy of the code for your convenience on page one of this thread.

Smooth sailing to you...

If that is the case, then we will either be having our breakfast in the buffet or in our cabin as I do not intend to change into other pants on that particular day just so we can go into the dining room. I cannot see the difference between a pair of normal pants worn with a nice shirt or jumper as against a pair of jeans worn with either the same shirt or jumper. Same shoes and tops, just different pants! It doesn't make sense.

Even on Oceania's Nautica which is equal or better than Azamara - I will be able to report on this in 2 weeks time - one is allowed into the dining room in good jeans for breakfast or lunch.

Jennie

fPetarca,

Thanks for that as I am only bringing 4 pairs of casual pants including my jeans for daytime use. I am trying to keep the weight down as we have an extensive tour of China after our cruise and we will be on different airlines so am not sure of the luggage requirements regarding weight.

We need to bring warm clothes as the temperature is very cold in Asia at the moment and jeans are always a good standby.

Jennie

I have to admit I don't really get this one.

As everyone knows, nothing fires up the CC boards faster than a dress code thread. I have seen people try to defend a dining room jeans exclusion code on formal nights and get royally flamed for their efforts.

From my point of view, the most compelling argument for a jeans exclusion on formal nights specifically, and in dining rooms generally, is that to not do so constitutes the thin edge of the wedge. If jeans are to become the new standard for today, then what of tomorrow - and tomorrow comes around pretty fast.

Certainly I would not make a fuss if I saw someone in jeans in the MDR for breakfast. I would wonder why they were there and not the buffet. Jeans are casual and informal and the buffet presents dining in an informal atmosphere and style. Jeans are consistent with that venue.

If you go to the MDR, you are saying you don't want a casual dining experience. For that matter, everyone who dines in the MDR has made that same choice. They are opting for a more traditional full service experience. For all intents and purposes the food is the same as the buffet, it is the experience that is different, and the principle (if not only) reason to choose the dining room.

Plainly speaking, the Azamara dress code is consistent with the attempt to provide Azamara guests with that experience. In fact, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say it enhances the experience for those who demonstrate a preference for it.

Yes you are on vacation. So is everyone else. Some people still want a more elegant dining experience even though they are on holiday. Some may even want it because they are on holiday.

Azamara tries to provide that experience for those who want it, as well as a relaxed casual experience one for those prefer that.

At the end of the day though, it is our fellow passengers that will define (in large part) what our experience will be.

I will respect the Azamara dress code. It is generated not out of a "how dare you tell me how to dress on MY vacatlon" posture, but one cognizant of the reality that everyone has a different notion of what a vacation experience should be - that Azamara attempts, insofar as it is within its power, to provide that experience, and that I as a guest am a de facto part of that experience.

Sorry to step on your toes World traveller but the Azamara dress code doesn't take into account that the area we will be cruising in currently has temps below freezing - so unless they are planning on heating the "tub" to tropical temps which will cost them a fortune you won't find me in any strappy sun dress thank you very much.... Of course for evenings (after 6pm) we will be bringing out the finery too but even then I suspect we will be needing the warmer variety.

I don't know about the others but I will even be bringing some of my ski underwear just to be on the safe side. Since if the rumours are correct we could find ourselves tossed ashore in the case of illness.

hi all we wore jeans and shorts during the day as the weather dictated,yes even in the resturants.we even wore shorts in the buffet in the evenings( shock horror ) but then again most of the other diners were dressed very casual :):D:)

I will be wearing jeans during the day albeit not to the dining room in the evening in 2 weeks time because it is just too COLD where the Quest is going in Asia

This cruise will be BALMY compared to the weather we've had. Don't expect to see me wearing a jacket outside unless it's below 50 degrees. :)

PS: I have no problem with women who want to wear short shorts or miniskirts either. You can share my table in the Dining Room. I will request that any men wearing miniskirts be seated at another table.

fPetarca,

Thanks for that as I am only bringing 4 pairs of casual pants including my jeans for daytime use. I am trying to keep the weight down as we have an extensive tour of China after our cruise and we will be on different airlines so am not sure of the luggage requirements regarding weight.

We need to bring warm clothes as the temperature is very cold in Asia at the moment and jeans are always a good standby.

Jennie

Jennie:

I did a lot of research for this trip. It's safe to say all your intra-China flights will allow you one bag each up to 20 kg. You're also typically allowed a 5 kg carry-on. I've heard they don't usually weigh the carry-ons, but they'll probably be checked for size.

If you take extra bags or weight, the typical overweight penalty is $2-$3 USD per kg.

I have to admit I don't really get this one.

As everyone knows, nothing fires up the CC boards faster than a dress code thread. I have seen people try to defend a dining room jeans exclusion code on formal nights and get royally flamed for their efforts.

From my point of view, the most compelling argument for a jeans exclusion on formal nights specifically, and in dining rooms generally, is that to not do so constitutes the thin edge of the wedge. If jeans are to become the new standard for today, then what of tomorrow - and tomorrow comes around pretty fast.

Certainly I would not make a fuss if I saw someone in jeans in the MDR for breakfast. I would wonder why they were there and not the buffet. Jeans are casual and informal and the buffet presents dining in an informal atmosphere and style. Jeans are consistent with that venue.

If you go to the MDR, you are saying you don't want a casual dining experience. For that matter, everyone who dines in the MDR has made that same choice. They are opting for a more traditional full service experience. For all intents and purposes the food is the same as the buffet, it is the experience that is different, and the principle (if not only) reason to choose the dining room.

Plainly speaking, the Azamara dress code is consistent with the attempt to provide Azamara guests with that experience. In fact, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say it enhances the experience for those who demonstrate a preference for it.

Yes you are on vacation. So is everyone else. Some people still want a more elegant dining experience even though they are on holiday. Some may even want it because they are on holiday.

Azamara tries to provide that experience for those who want it, as well as a relaxed casual experience one for those prefer that.

At the end of the day though, it is our fellow passengers that will define (in large part) what our experience will be.

I will respect the Azamara dress code. It is generated not out of a "how dare you tell me how to dress on MY vacatlon" posture, but one cognizant of the reality that everyone has a different notion of what a vacation experience should be - that Azamara attempts, insofar as it is within its power, to provide that experience, and that I as a guest am a de facto part of that experience.

Very well said. You present very good points.

Eh Doug I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but have you looked at the temps in our ports lately??? The only one with halfway decent temps will be HK everyelse is below 30°F!!!! I do hope you will be taking you winter wollies!!!

There is absolutely NO issue about people wearing Jeans in the dining room before 1800 - the dress codes as advertised are only relevant in the evening. The only other time they apply is IF there is a formal afternoon tea. This was again confirmed on our Azamara cruise two weeks ago when I sought clarfication. During the day it is recognised that people are preparing to go on or have just returned from shore excursions indeed on some excursions long trousers/jeans were the recommended dress code.

I do not hold to the line that you go to the MDR for breakfast for a more formal experience. No, you go because the menu range is different and you are guaranteed a seat at the time you want it, likewise at lunch.

There is absolutely NO issue about people wearing Jeans in the dining room before 1800 - the dress codes as advertised are only relevant in the evening. The only other time they apply is IF there is a formal afternoon tea. This was again confirmed on our Azamara cruise two weeks ago when I sought clarfication. During the day it is recognised that people are preparing to go on or have just returned from shore excursions indeed on some excursions long trousers/jeans were the recommended dress code.

I do not hold to the line that you go to the MDR for breakfast for a more formal experience. No, you go because the menu range is different and you are guaranteed a seat at the time you want it, likewise at lunch.

I was referring to the policy as stated on the Azamara website and it may well be that in practice, the code is not enforced until 6PM.

A buffet and dining room do represent different dining experiences though. If this were no so, why the dress code?

You even acceed to this when you say the menu is different in the DR (which surprises me but I was thinking of Celebrity) and that you get a guaranteed table when you want it. Then there is the obvious...table service vs self-serve etc.

I don't think a serious case can be made that as a general principle, Azamara is trying to create the same atmosphere in the buffet as the dining room.

But what of all these trifling rules airlines and cruise companies impose on their passengers anyway. From carry-on baggage, to weight limitations, to the usage of deck chairs, corkage fees, and dress codes. They are all just arbitrary and imposed to confuse us all anyway.

We should just all do what we want. :eek:

Smooth sailing to you

uktog,

Thanks for clarifying the rules on board Azamara. That is also the case on Oceania, HAL and Princess, where one is allowed to wear jeans into the dining room for both breakfast and lunch.

I was wondering if Azamara had this rule to try to make us all eat in the Buffet for those two meals which would have been a huge crush. We have always enjoyed the dining room for both breakfast and lunch as we like the quieter ambience and we like being waited on.

Jennie

Archived